runner dies at brighton marathon

2»

Comments

• Nose NowtNose Nowt ✭✭✭

Reginald... that definitely brings a different perspective. image

• i was really sorry to hear about this. RIP. I mean, 23, Jesus!

• SideBurnSideBurn ✭✭✭
    fat buddha wrote (see)

SideBurn - as the 2 above have said, don't speculate.

no doubt there will be an inquest in due course (as I believe this is the case where there is a sudden unexplained death) and the facts regarding the attendance may come out fully then

but no matter what, you cannot EXPECT full and immediate medical care in all cases - it just won't happen.  

I am not speculating or criticising anyone; just asking people to make an effort to learn at least basic first aid... that is all.

I have been in this situation; I am happy that I did all that I reasonably could, but it was still not a nice situation to be in. How I would have felt if I did not know what to do...

That is why I ask people to learn; simple.

• SideBurn wrote (see)
    fat buddha wrote (see)

SideBurn - as the 2 above have said, don't speculate.

no doubt there will be an inquest in due course (as I believe this is the case where there is a sudden unexplained death) and the facts regarding the attendance may come out fully then

but no matter what, you cannot EXPECT full and immediate medical care in all cases - it just won't happen.  

I am not speculating or criticising anyone; just asking people to make an effort to learn at least basic first aid... that is all.

I have been in this situation; I am happy that I did all that I reasonably could, but it was still not a nice situation to be in. How I would have felt if I did not know what to do...

That is why I ask people to learn; simple.

sadly your comment ""Medics and an off duty plod" suggests to me that immediate, within the first 60 seconds after arrest, attention was not given." is implied criticism but you have no real facts to base that on.  that's the point that's being made  

and I don't think anyone will disagree with your comment about getting 1st aid skills.

• SideBurnSideBurn ✭✭✭

What I am saying is don't wait for the medics.... do what you have been trained to do; simple.

• Which might be exactly what happened here ?
  • exactly Cougs

• This is so sad, my thoughts are with his family and friends. I did Brighton yesterday and to be honest I don't feel like celebrating. I got told about Sams collasp yesterday on the way home on the train, and found out later on that Sam had died.

• Kathy HKathy H ✭✭✭

I read on Facebook that Sam Harper Brighouse was running the Brighton Marathon for Arms Around the Child (UK) which is a charity to help children affected or orphaned by AIDS/HIV.

I'm sure that a lot of us would like to give some money in memory of this young man whom we never met, but has affected us with his death whilst we were running in the same event. So I'll post the link:

https://www.justgiving.com/SamHarperBrighouse

• Kathy HKathy H ✭✭✭

His target was to raise £500 and now the amount raised is over £10,000