Options

London Marathon Good For Age

Comments

• Options
    piscatorpiscator ✭✭✭
    15West wrote (see)

I think that they need to change goals for women along with champs places - there were virtually no women in the FGFA field, it was all 40+ men. I think most women who could get a FGFA also could get a champs place, so understandably enter that.

Its 'F'GFA for a reason - the relatively small number of women running at that pace can go off the champs start, and the regular GFA women get a reasonably clear start from green. I don't see any benefit from mixing 3:30 women with sub-3 men just to even out sex ratios, it would make the first mile carnage.

Plus if there were women in FGFA how could everyone have their last pee on the road five minutes before the start...image

• Options
    Chris - GFA is 100% chance of getting in. If you hit your target and enter in time.
  • Options
    ShazmoShazmo ✭✭✭
    Stupid question....I know that GFA means 'good for age' but FGFA means what?

PS - I did google it before asking, to hide my ignorance, but no luck image
  • Options
    Matty, that is great thanks for the update.

Blisters, well I am happy you don't decide the times! Quite frankly I think sub 3:10 is tough and should be gfa, I agree with much of the above that there is room for adjustments throughout to make all equal across age and gender splits. I would however note as previously mentioned, the point of gfa is to maximise entries without having a field full of slower runners, which would be no fun for anyone...

As long as it does not change this year I will be there in 2014, and as long as I am given ample notice I will endeavour to get whatever time required!image
  • Options
    Fast I believe shazmo, but it us usually just gfa
  • Options
    piscatorpiscator ✭✭✭

Shazmo, as said above 'fast', FGFA is a separate assembly area at the front of the red start. I'm not sure of the exact cutoff for being in it, but I think it is the male 18-39 standards (i.e. being GFA via having done a previous marathon under 3:10)

• Options
    ShazmoShazmo ✭✭✭

Thanks. I might just make the standard GFA.

Maybe they should call it RGFA.....really good for age image

• Options
    piscatorpiscator ✭✭✭

Shazmo: that's the championship start! (sub 2:45 men)

• Options
    WaboWabo ✭✭✭

oh goodness me do the GFA women start at a different place then?

wibble...

possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • Options
    As a 40+ bloke - how fast would i have to run to get a Fast Good For Age as opposed to the normal GFA ? ( I didn't even know they had a FGFA until my brother got his !)
  • Options
    Also-ranAlso-ran ✭✭✭

I'm not sure if that was ever published by VLM. Maybe its a split based on numbers who applied that year.

What we need is the highest time from RW runners that got into the  FGFA pen. I applied and got in FGFA with 3:02

Anyone with a higher time?

• Options
    DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

AR - I think you more than qualify after running 2:47 on Sunday!!!image You should be in the FFGFA category!

• Options
    MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    I got in FGFA with a 3.07.
  • Options
    Oh FFS - I was just GFA with a 3.09 !

LOL at the FFGFA !
  • Options
    MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    What did you put down as your predicted time. I put 2.59.
  • Options
  • Options

I got 3:50.02 at my last marathon. 

Was hoping that i'd get in on GFA  on that, and have been told by people at my club that as long as it is under 3:51 i'll be OK. 

Can anyone confirm this, or am I two seconds too slow? 

• Options

For the record, i did call VLM, and the woman on the phone didn't know. 

• Options
    I'd try it but you might be unlucky. They didn't let me off with 30 seconds the other year - but nothing ventured...
  • Options

Thanks Cougie. 

It is a mixed bag. They let someone in my club get a GFA at 3:52! So if they refuse, i'll feel a bit hard done by. 

Will try the ballot too. But have never had any luck with that either. 

Got a marathon coming up this winter, so will try to get a faster time to assure my entry! 

• Options
    I think it depends on how their trip into the office went....
  • Options

Website updated (see below)  - must have been today.  Not helpful that they arent releasing the times before the ballotimage

If you've already run a full marathon in a particularly fast time, you might qualify for an automatic 'good for age' entry into the 2014 Virgin London Marathon.

How do I apply?

Please refer back to the website at the end of May for details for qualifying times and details on how to apply. If you have any questions, please call us on 0207 902 0200.

Please note, only UK residents can apply for a good for age entry into the Virgin Money London Marathon. If you're applying from overseas you'll need to enter the overseas ballot.

• Options
    DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Without wanting to be controversial it may be more favourable for one sex over the other in respect of missing the GFA by  a few seconds.

I think we have to work on the assumption the qualification will remain the same. I am running on 12 may and will continue to assume I need sub 3;15.

• Options
    I'm thinking there must be changes afoot - otherwise why take down the chart showing the times you need ?

Maybe they'll make it easier !
  • Options
    MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Seems an odd decision to not tell people until after the Ballot opens.

My conspiracy theory head is starting to get into gear.
  • Options

Exactly. 

If you knew you had a GFA place then you probably wouldn't enter the ballot! 

Either way, good luck to everyone trying to get a place. 

• Options

To qualify for FGFA you have to have done a GFA time and it also has to be sub 3:15.

Whether they use their discretion, I don't know and of course since they made it easier for young men to get GFA they may start to have problems with too many at the FGFA start - it certainly has been much more crowded the last couple of years

• Options
    MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    So there could be thousands of people entering twice. Just in case they bring the qualifying times down in May.
  • Options
    PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

Blimey, they do like a good tinker don't they.  Will be interesting to see if there are changes and in which directions for different categories.

• Options
    One gear,

I had 3 11 and was just an ordinary Gfa this year, so 3 15 is not the cut off. Maybe it was 3 10?

Got 3 05 this year so see where I end up in 2014.