Quintana Roo UK Purchase Assistance

2»

Comments

• Doner Kebab wrote (see)

if you are spending 10k on a bike or 2, shouldnt you be doing your own homework? i wouldnt be asking on a forum and seeming to be so clueless regarding bikes if i was splashing out htat much

This is homework. I rub shoulders with triathlon egos daily - the result is that you often don't get the truth. 

It's very easy to see in text who is trolling, who gives a damn and the people who know a thing or two. I simply prefer to listen (read) and decide based on informed experience.

Two bikes? Reason is, I've been known to crash a few times. That's fine, insurance covers that, but the bummer comes when you crash out on one frame at a critical time and then have to hop onto a another frame for a long ride.

To be honest, the main thrust of this centres on sales service and care. 

Why Q Roo? I know they fit me quite well, but if there are people out there who rate other brands that might "fit" like a Roo then I'm all ears.

• Why not try Planet X ? They have their Stealth TT frames. If they're good enough for the likes of Cadel Evans.. And there are stores you can be fitted for them at.

Why the crashing though ? Usually the bike survives pretty well - I'd worry about bones - they'll take longer to heal than a new bike. Anything other than the frame and it can be repaired/fixed in a day.

Worst case in a bike crash is that you break the frame. That's so rare that I'd save 5 grand and not have a spare bike ready to go. Hell most of the pro's dont have two TT bikes.

Having a spare bike is definitely a good idea (I've erm.. a few) - but basically having 2 race bikes is a bit OTT.
  • To be honest if you're crashing so often that you need 2 bikes then either you are really unlucky or you need to have a look at you bike handling skills, or check there isn't something seriously wrong with your current bike(s).

But back to the main topic, if you want great customer service then I'd recommend the guys at Planet X!

• as cougs says, having a spare bike is good (I've errm..a few as well) but imho a race bike is for race day and the build up to a race, a training bike is for, well, training on - but they don't have to be the same setups.

I also train on a MTB (for handling skills and building leg strength - plus it's fun - and for off road tri training) and a singlespeed (for cadence skills and ease of commuting) but most of my training is done on a standard road bike - no aero set up at all.  if I can get reasonable times on that, it will only be faster on the race bike (lighter, more aero, race tyres etc) so the job's a good 'un.

but hey - it's your money!

• Canyon are certainly worth a look and you get plenty of bike for your money.

I use their aluminium frame as a winter ride and I've also got an Ultimate CF which I'll be building over the next few weeks.

I've had no problems using their direct purchase route.  They have a UK based service centre where the staff are more than happy and capable of talking you through the sizing options.  Their full warrantee / money back offer should offer that extra piece of mind too.

(I have no affiliation with Canyon other than really, really likeing their bikes image

• Cheers guys - I will look at Planet X. 

Really appreciate the input.

• I'm surprised Dustboy hasn't yet turned up to champion Cyfac- they do some gorgeous looking steeds.

• If I had £10k to blow, it would go on a P5 or Shiv, with bike fits before and after to make sure I'd got it sized right and set up correctly. I'd have a set of 606FC, a power meter and a disc for good measure.

Or 5 Exocets... I crash a lot.

• I'd buy one use it and once I knew if I liked it I may get another. If I didn't really like it I'd get something else.

Two TTs deosn't seem the best use of dosh. I'd go for top of the range road bike and a TT. Then a winter trainer and a Watt Bike or permanent turbo set-up.

Then a tourer, Full Sus MTB for heavy stuff, Cross Country/Front Sus MTB for longer faster MTB stuff and maybe a cyclo-cross bike. And one I can leave down the pub with a simple lock.

Can't beleive you've only got £10k - I could burn through £20k pretty quick.

That said if you are in the top few percent and winning prizes two TTs  may be worth it. I would really look at the top end Planet-X stuff.

M..eface

• if i had 10k i would my missus a new pair of tits and a new carimage

• the car would be for me though, not the missus

• If QR bikes fit then check out the stack and reach settings and then decide on what other bikes fit you.

Search for 'stack and reach slowtwitch' and you will find the correct site,

This lists all stack and reach setting s for all main dealer bikes. I have a QR CD0.1 with DA from 2011 and its a great bike, bought the frame from Evans and built it myself, they still do the frames now but as others have said there are others that are better and will still fit.

Best thing to do, get a bike fit, this will give you the stack and reach settings you need, you can drift 30cm either side of these fittings due to adjustments and then use the slowtwitch site to find a bike that fits.

Personally I like Wilier, try this

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=335843016519034&set=a.277412282362108.43940.277407069029296&type=1&theater

Anyway good luck.

• I know someone with one of those Rosey. Who do you know on team Torq?

• don't know him but he is a member of KTC and Phil made the bike up for him. Think its Hamish ?

• Couldn't you get one custom made for £10k? (Or one total bike and a spare frame?)

• Iron Rose wrote (see)

If QR bikes fit then check out the stack and reach settings and then decide on what other bikes fit you.

Search for 'stack and reach slowtwitch' and you will find the correct site,

This lists all stack and reach setting s for all main dealer bikes. I have a QR CD0.1 with DA from 2011 and its a great bike, bought the frame from Evans and built it myself, they still do the frames now but as others have said there are others that are better and will still fit.

Best thing to do, get a bike fit, this will give you the stack and reach settings you need, you can drift 30cm either side of these fittings due to adjustments and then use the slowtwitch site to find a bike that fits.

Personally I like Wilier, try this

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=335843016519034&set=a.277412282362108.43940.277407069029296&type=1&theater

Anyway good luck.

- Along with the other posts here, all of which have been very helpful indeed, this is great.

Thank you all so much.