Alcohol and Ironman training

2»

Comments

• Nurse Ratched wrote (see)
    The Silent Assassin wrote (see)
    Rafiki wrote (see)

Fortunately I don't drink so its not an issue for me image

A scotsman not drinking!!!!! What is the world coming to?

Oh, the shame  image

HANG 'IM !!!

• Blue Peter wrote (see)

I don't get hammered every night, and I don't need a drink to unwind. That said, I work 12 hour shifts nights and days and as well as IM training I feel I've sort of earnt it. I enjoy having a few beers/glasses of wine with Mrs BP.

i may feel differently after outlaw and if I 'consider' doing another IM I may knock the drinking on the headimage

Never thought you did get hammered every night. Or that you do need it to unwind. The points are still valid. As are the weight related one and the fact that I don't see any scientific evidence that not drinking provides any benefit over drinking a bit.

Red wine is good for unless you drink so much you get a bad back carrying it to the car. Beer used to be needed as food. In poorer countries alcohol can be safest thing to drink.

Keep training and I'll probably be i nthe pub the night before hte Outlaw plying drinks on unsuspecting Pirate newbies.image

• my comments came across a bit blunt there, I was agreeing with you (me face).

definitely directly affects my weight but as I don't drink shed loads and its not affecting my training I can live with it.image

• I've cut down a lot simply because I do a lot of my training early in the morning.  Sunday evening I'll have two or three bottles of fine ale, and sometimes mid-week the Mrs and I share a bottle of wine.  But ..... I don't miss it when I don't drink.

• i dont drink while training - the night before is ok as its in the taperimage

• I try not to drink alcohol during Ironman Training - at least during the swim anyway...can't beat a Speedfil A2 full of Stella though...

• Me..face - get the wine delivered to the door - sorts the back issue out! Simples image

• fat buddha wrote (see)
    WildWill..... wrote (see)

In Switzerland in 2009 ... we drank the bar dry of beer a few days befor the IM

likewise IM France in 2008.....

Jesus, France 2008, that (well, I) was very ugly ....

• It's usually fine as long as you don't p*ss on your shoes. image

• I've qualified for two Kona IM. I train hard and try to stop drinking for each prep. However, I find that sometimes that it all gets a bit too much and a good slug of booze is all you need to feel relatively normal again. A little bit won't hurt and will make you feel heaps better - which makes training much more fun and easier. I think alcohol and training can be a problem when you drink without properly rehydrating or if it affects your sleep (low dose alcohol is a neuro -stimulant, high dose alcohol is a depressant - which is why when you drink a lot you 'crash out' but later on wake during the night as it is gradually metabolised and the concentration in your blood graudally decreases)

• I try not to drink beer while on the bike as it's too fizzy and makes me belch.  Swimming and running are fine. image

• Kanga at the bar in Nice was very funny indeed. All a bit hazy but I thiink it was something to do with cricket, That or Doozer's rear hanger. Dunno.