Music For Hard Training Sessions

Comments

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

Anyone up for a wrestle?

And what's good music to wrestle to?  Thnx.  xx

• "Tie a Yellow Ribbon" on the Hammond organ? 

• Although I know plenty of people who run with music for one way or another, I have never known anyone who actually uses hard motivational music to do a hard track session. It may well happen somewhere but it has to be very rare. I would imagine most clubs wouldn't even allow it on the track. How do you hear a shout of "track"

AND, this thread had died a death until yesterday Benjamin until you goaded me into a response. So don't blame me, you were the one clip clopping over my bridgeimage

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Who is B E N S O N?

I'm sure that wasn't the original name of the OP.
  • If it is 'very rare' then why do some phone running apps have the 'Power Song' button for that extra push?  

I meet once a week with some mates for a forest run (no Dave, not in bear costumes) and the rest of the time I prefer to go by myself - nearest running club (or running track) is too far away.  By your messed up logic since I don't know anyone who does track running they must be very rare.....

We're gonna have to agree to disagree on this one - plus this is my Bridge and I'd like to butt you off of it.  

No - not my original username - but comments on the internet are very traceable especially when there are insults flying around.  

• Power song button ? Sounds like the sort of thing teenage girls would get all moist over 

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Im sure it's the button Mo pushes when he hears the bell.
  • B E N S O N wrote (see)

If it is 'very rare' then why do some phone running apps have the 'Power Song' button for that extra push?  

I meet once a week with some mates for a forest run (no Dave, not in bear costumes) and the rest of the time I prefer to go by myself - nearest running club (or running track) is too far away.  By your messed up logic since I don't know anyone who does track running they must be very rare.....

We're gonna have to agree to disagree on this one - plus this is my Bridge and I'd like to butt you off of it.  

No - not my original username - but comments on the internet are very traceable especially when there are insults flying around.  

Insults Ben ? Never 

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Moist teenage girls and wrestling? I'm deeply shocked by this thread.

• It has taken a rather disturbing turn, I agree image

• It's a bit like Soap isn't it? Do you remeber Soap? Now what was the name of the butler in it?

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Is that another one of those 'show your age' posts SR? image

EDIT: just looked it up on wikipedia. Looks amazing.

• Or what's the name of the Peugeot lion ? 

• Congratulations on your run last night. Did you pm everyone your splits? 

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Me? no, only people who asked for them specifically.

• Does anyone ? 

Perhaps Ben should look at the "Spotify" play lusts Sky ProCycling publish ? 

• Cool, will check that out tonight Dave. Plus the answer is me - I am the Peugeot Lion anyone fancy putting their heads in my mouth image 

• May I, please Ben. Enquire how fast you currently are over 10k using the power music buttons? I mean, do you use them in races or is it just for training. Has it made you a fast runner? 

• You're gonna annihilate me for this but I'll give an honest answer. No - I've never used the power button. I currently wear my phone on my arm so it would be too awkward to reach over and find the button in the last 1/2 mile or so.  Better to grit my teeth and bash it out.

My best 10k time is pretty irrelevant - I've done 10k races in sub 50min but they are across country and very hilly.  I only do one race a year that I take seriously - it's a local ten mile 'hell with hills' run.  I do it with the same non bear suited clan that I run with mid week so it does get competitive but well worth it when we are sharing a few pints afterwards (nothing like a run to make food n ale taste superb). 

I have a young family so don't do as much training as I'd like but I am definitely improving.  I started the sport about 3 yrs ago and have lost about 3 stone in weight doing the runs (+ one Insanity workout each week - I've used a video editor to cut the water breaks out so it only takes 30mins to complete).  Running has been bloody brilliant for me but since I live too far from any clubs (did try a club once but the journey time was a waste) it is mostly a solitary activity in which I find the music is a massive boost.  ESPECIALLY when it is raining. 

Anyway, I'm always messing around with different training routines and learning lots from reading articles - in each of my 10 mile races I normally improve by 50 places each year so that's good enough for me.  You'll be smirking when you hear that I don't listen to music during races - I find the thrill of the chase enough. 

Has it made me a fast runner? I believe it does help me to improve.  I do the running for the enjoyment / high I get and might well never be a contender for the top slot - but I don't really care either - just happy to be a runner with my mates.   

• Not at all. I appreciate your honesty. Very interesting. Sounds to me like a clear case of someone who runs because they think it's a good lifestyle choice but secretly hates it. Case solved. Thankyou Ben

• To be fair I think that's how plenty of people start.

When I started running it was to pass a fitness test and it was cheaper than the gym. However after 2 years of sustaining a given level of fitness by running, on a pleasant late summer evening (can't remember if  I had the Ipod on that occasion) , I suddenly realised this is f**king lovely!

Haven't struggled for motivation since (with or without music) image

• I agree Dodger. I think a lot of people secretly hate running and try to use something to blank out the experience. Well done for breaking through to the other side.

• JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    Running yesterday I ended up listening to The Disintegration Loops, a 10 second piece of music recorded from a degrading magnetic loop of tape playing over an hour. I quite enjoyed it. Not great for body building.
  • So as I'm running along forest tracks marvelling at nature and freedom I'm secretely hating it?  And if I am to enjoy running I should follow Sussex's example and use a running track instead?  

• Don't worry B, the forum is full of running fundamentalists who feel their way is the only way. They are also brilliant and generous in giving good training related advice and I love them for it.

I like your playlist, though I admit I hardly ever listen to music on the run these days - it is nice to have an occasional soundtrack on though. When I started running I thought music was the only thing getting me through this. I changed. 

• JT141 wrote (see)
    Running yesterday I ended up listening  to The Disintegration Loops, a 10 second piece of music recorded from a degrading magnetic loop of tape playing over an hour. I quite enjoyed it. Not great for body building.

I listened to that the other day. Not running, just had it on whilst I was working. I must admit that I had a slight fondness for 'that sort of thing' in my youth. 

• Y.M.C.A. is simply THE best track for a 'hard' session.

• Try a Little Bit Harder by Janis Joplin is great when the going gets tough.