Food For Thought!

2»

Comments

• But strawberries aren't true berries.

(fascinating fact #269 image)

• Karen Samuel wrote (see)
    Pudge wrote (see)

Come on Karen, make the connection....

What do bell peppers, tomatoes, strawberries and cucumbers all have in common?

Colours of the rainbowimage  or was featured on Levy Roots Cookery showimage

Nope - what does a tomato have inside it that a carrot doesn't...?

• Dave The Ex- Spartan wrote (see)

They all taste great with gravy ? 

Everything tastes great with gravy

I just find a few days ago that you cook with Cucumber - fact!

You do WHAT with a cucumber?

Oh.......cook.

Phew.

• Pudge wrote (see)
    Karen Samuel wrote (see)

Why on earth did they call my favourite pudding 'Spotty Dick'

I hate to be a pedant, but technically it's Spotted Dick.  Best served with custard or cream.

Spotty Dick is perhaps a condition which might also benefit from the application of a cream though.

This reminds me of the time many years ago when I went out to eat at a pub with the wife's family. At the time her youngest brother was a teenager, who found the idea of 'spotted dick' in the menu inherently hilarious. In the interests of turning him purple, the oldest brother beckoned over the waiter and said 'my brother would like to know the length of your spotted dick'. The waiter caught on immediately, went off to the kitchen and came back in a couple of minutes with the words 'I have a length for you, sir'. I don't even recall what he said next because my youngest brother in law practically exploded in teenage embarrasment. I guess you had to be there.

• I found a wine on Saturday that's "Chateau Gravy". Couldn't resist getting a bottle 

• Dave The Ex- Spartan wrote (see)

I found a wine on Saturday that's "Chateau Gravy". Couldn't resist getting a bottle 

Intriguing...was it cooking wine? image

• Karen, have you worked out why a tomato is a fruit yet?

Is anyone from Blackpool?  They need to sell more fruit and at veg up there.

I nearly had to admit myself to my local hospital to pump my stomach out.

Everyday - not by choice I ate fish and chips and  greasy sugary doughnuts. The word 'salad' was a foreign word. There was one day I was ill with diarrhoea.  

Jamie Oliver needs to go to Blackpool and advocate his healthy eating programme.

I found a small local Tesco in Blackpool that sold a few fruit and vegetables.  The overweight security followed us every where in the shop.  When we stopped he stopped, I didn't enjoy my shopping and forgot to buy my bananas.  I should have gone to Blackpool Lindle.

Sounds to me like you didn't look very hard Karen. If you never went any further than the seafront you wouldn't have found much else other than junk food.

Beyond that, I'm pretty sure, is an ordinary town, like any other, with fruit and vegetables in plentiful supply. 

And clearly you still haven't worked out why a tomato is a fruit image

• The meaning of the word "conversation" really does elude you doesn't it? image

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Vegetarian cow foot?

• literatin wrote (see)

Vegetarian cow foot?

I've seen vegetarian haggis...... Not quite sure how that works

• No fruit or veg in Blackpool. What's chips,mushy peas and ketchup if it isn't 3 of your 5-a-day?

I found a small local Tesco in Blackpool that sold a few fruit and vegetables.  The overweight security followed us every where in the shop.  When we stopped he stopped, I didn't enjoy my shopping and forgot to buy my bananas.  I should have gone to Blackpool Lindle.

Jeez, you must look well dodgy if a Tesco security man from Blackpool decided to follow you around the store instead of the junkies and Buckfast pinchers!