Entry Fees

Comments

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Isn't it actually the case that many young people who do races concentrate on shorter, speedier stuff until they feel ready to move on to marathons (if they do)? Which works out well, since shorter races tend to be cheaper anyway.

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

The premise that races are full of older people is false, as a quick look at the results of my local half marathon showed.

The largest age group was seniors - among the male runners more than half were non-verterans.  After that, the number in each age group drops, from 19% (v40), 15% (v50),  12% (v60) and 2% (v70).

The female runners age groups were similarly distributed, with the extra category of v35.

• Household A has always been stuffed. It is the ideal family unit with a parent (either one) working and one at home parenting, but there are so few they no longer matter. Thankfully my kids are beyond the age where it matters but I sympathise with those who choose to do this

• .................so pensioners would end up subsidising younger entrants in races??

Why not - I have been supporting the country for 40 odd years, might as well continue for another 20 - or until I pop my clogs!!!

• If an unemployed person wanted a free or heavily subsidised place I would want something back from them. So if a club is organising its annual race they could advertise a limited number of free places to anyone willing to give up some time in helping to organise the run.  Even if it’s just sticking numbers in envelopes.

Even big city runs such as the GNR run could offer free places if someone was willing to help out with its administration. I cannot imagine any unemployed person can afford the £50 entry fee but the organisers are willing to give out free GNR running jackets (with the sponsor’s name on the back) to local clubs who man the water stations.

• How about marshall for two events to get the third event freeimage

• Wilkie wrote (see)

The premise that races are full of older people is false, as a quick look at the results of my local half marathon showed.......

Is it? Older than whom?

I don't know how representative one or two races results are really going to be. I had a quick look at a local 10k. Nearly 70% of runners were Vets, 7% were 60+, but less than 1% were under 25.

Simple age category results hide the fact that there is a large number of runners in their early to mid 30s. You can see this if you have a look at the parkrun demographic charts. Again there are few runners in their late teens and early 20s, but as parkrun is free it argues against the idea that cheaper race entries will do much to encourage more people in this age category to enter races. 

Oh and the entry to my local 10k was only £5 so price can't of been that much of a deterrent, and it the HQ was a pub so 'fun' was available afterwards. You just can't please some people image

• Hog-mouseHog-mouse ✭✭✭

If, as an older person, I had to pay higher race entry fees than a younger person running the same race I'd choose not to run that race or lie about my age. Is someone really going to check up on these things?

• mrs Hog.........They might need some persuasion for me to pass as an under 25 year old.......image

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

No-one checks up on the unemployed discount either, so I'm told.

• kittenkat wrote (see)

The thing is that there is a huge difference between the demographic of the unemployed. Some are people trying their hardest to find a job, others are lazy sods who just leech off the state.

I don't mind subsidies for genuine people but why should we give more to those who just make a living on taking as a lifestyle choice?

And that would the hardest thing of all to police.  You either subsidise for the unemployed or you don't.  You can't subsidise only for those people who are just unfortunate to be out of work and would otherwise love to be in a job.  Even if you did, how would you prove that person A is genuine and person B is just a lazy bastard leeching off the state?

I still say that I agree with subsidising in some form though, even if a few workshy fops fall through the net.

• That is the problem with "lazy bastards living off the state" they just want to run marathons on the cheap.

The lazy bastards.

• Maybe coming from a different view point. Would you class going swimming, using a gym or running in an event a necessity? If you are unemployed and are unable to afford to do these things then unfortunately at that moment in your life you cannot do them. You should be spending the money on living IE food and clothes for your family. If you want to keep fit go out running or walking it doesn't cost anything, you don't have to enter a running event. I am lucky where I can afford to enter the odd event, however if I became unemployed, I think the none essentials would be the first to go one being events, just a fact of life I am afraid image

• I think keeping people fit and moving is a necessity. If I was unemployed and injured - I hate to think what my mood would be like. At least being able to swim would keep me fit.
  • And being fitter or at least in good health would, arguably, make you more employable.

• Ah but what I am saying is you don't have to pay expensive gym fees and enter events??

• Well, I don't think that a subsidised David Lloyd membership is appropriate, but a reduced rate local authority gym membership would be.

As for events, I think it quite acceptable for someone on long term benefits (through no fault or making of their own) to enter an event every now and again at a reduced rate.  I don't think a life on benefits should mean simply 'existing'.  People need to live and have things to look forward to. 

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭
    TheVicar wrote (see)

Ah but what I am saying is you don't have to pay expensive gym fees and enter events??

When I first talked about "necessity" it was to draw the line between things like subsidised (LA) gyms on the one hand, and races on the other, where the former caters for and encourages long term health and wellbeing (a public "good") compared to races being a sort of icing on the cake, a relative luxury - and as one-off, not a particularly expensive one either.  Clearly "necessity" is a relative term, with food and water being a more urgent consideration than running fitness.  image

• seren nos wrote (see)

How about marshall for two events to get the third event freeimage

There's at least one race organiser doing something like that. Seems like a good idea.

• Tom77 wrote (see)
    seren nos wrote (see)

How about marshall for two events to get the third event freeimage

There's at least one race organiser doing something like that. Seems like a good idea.

It is a very good idea.  Torelli, who organise various sportives in the North West, will give you free entry to a sportive if you volunteer just once at an event.

And you get some cake.

• I think the tide is turning for the "luxury high street" gyms anyway. People are fed up with being tied in to long contracts and paying over £50 a month (if you're lucky ... more like £80 for David Lloyd or Virgin Active) for facilities that aren't that much better than you get at a good leisure centre.

The Gym opened a branch near me recently, £10.99 a month and no joining fee!  Bargain image 

• xine267 wrote (see)

I think the tide is turning for the "luxury high street" gyms anyway. People are fed up with being tied in to long contracts and paying over £50 a month (if you're lucky ... more like £80 for David Lloyd or Virgin Active) for facilities that aren't that much better than you get at a good leisure centre.

The Gym opened a branch near me recently, £10.99 a month and no joining fee!  Bargain image 

Ah, but does it have a coffee shop, free wi-fi and a spa offering pointless treatments?

If not, can it really call itself a proper gym?

• It's next door to an Iceland, does that count? image