Are doctors nicer to thinner patients?

2»

Comments

• so you could drink urine or eat dogs poo........people do it..........we are all wired differently.yes everyone can do these things.but for some its easier than others,

some people will jump out of an aeroplane without a second thought .others would need to be pushed out on pain of death.....

some things we find easier than others......

some people would happily go and stab a stranger in the heart of you gave them £1000.....others would find it impossible to do

yes we are capable of doing it all if we really put our minds to it....but priorities and the different levels of work we have to put into it are all very different........

• I can easily put on weight...... but juist because i can doesn't mean i would go up to some one with anorexia and tell thenm its simple just shove more food in the mouths and stop attention seeking.........and i wouldn't expect a doctor to say it to them either.....

unless there is a detailed support plan to help them then why bring it up

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭
    seren nos wrote (see)

I can easily put on weight...... but juist because i can doesn't mean i would go up to some one with anorexia and tell thenm its simple just shove more food in the mouths and stop attention seeking.........and i wouldn't expect a doctor to say it to them either.....

unless there is a detailed support plan to help them then why bring it up

Because otherwise you are ignoring (if you'll pardon the expression) the elephant in the room.

Surely it's a doctor's role to advise patients when they are doing something which is harming their health?  

Should a doctor ignore a worrying-looking mole on a patient, just because the patient hasn't mentioned it?

• Meddling interfering quacks.   

• HappychapHappychap ✭✭✭

That's a very simplistic and probably quite naive view Wilkie. 

I would wager a bet that weight is linked to psychological problems way more than ignorance of healthy eating.  I've done the weight loss thing, the calories in versus calories out.  Yes I lost weight and as a bonus ended up suffering from an eating disorder that probably came with way more health issues than being overweight did. 

That's the twisted view people have of fat people in the world.  When I was thin, no one was busting to tell me how much throwing up after every meal was damaging my health.  Now I'm overweight but 'healthily', people are falling over themselves to tell me how much I'm damaging myself.

• mention it in an annual check up.if their weight is causing them a problem then they will have problems with diabeties or asthma or blood pressure etc.all of which will give you an annual checkup when factors like smoking, weight etc can all be discussed...

but then if you are visiting for other reasons then for the doctor to continously bring up the weight is not going to help at all is it..

• Annual check up ? I've never met my GP in the 10 years I've lived here...

only been to the surgery to get jabs for travelling aboad ....

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

If my GP mentioned my weight every time I went to see him, I'd be hearing it about twice a year.

If a person is having to go to the doctor so often that the doctor is "continuously bringing it up", perhaps their weight is having a big impact on their health.  

I expect a doctor would find it very frustrating to be constantly treating someone for ailments which could be prevented by losing weight.  

• Lose weight, stop smoking, take more exercise, cut back on your salt intake 

• Wilkie wrote (see)

If my GP mentioned my weight every time I went to see him, I'd be hearing it about twice a year.

If a person is having to go to the doctor so often that the doctor is "continuously bringing it up", perhaps their weight is having a big impact on their health.  

I expect a doctor would find it very frustrating to be constantly treating someone for ailments which could be prevented by losing weight.  

I totally agree Wilkie!

• CindersCinders ✭✭✭

Seren, my little boy is underweight and we work with the school to monitor his intake. He got weighed/measured on entering school.  Not sure if they keep this up though as the children get older.

• cinders did you intigate this or was it picked up in school and you were asked to cooperate.....

as it seemed to inmply that doctors and medical authorities were not following up and monitoring them....

i was in my youngest school this week for presentations to the 16 and 18 yr old boys.a couple hundred in the room........

its in a poor area with a high proportion of free meals so right in the obese problem areas......

but to me there was only 4  boys who were obese.and all of them were active looking.......another 15 who were overweight looking but they looked to be more of the build of rugby players rather than unfit  doing no exercise types.....and the majority seemed to be of a normal weight range with another 12 or so looking skinny..hard to tell in school uniform........

they are all getting taller and the number with a lot of facial hairs mean they seem to have developed more than when i was in school........

if we were not so obsessed with overweight then we could have more  energy at helping the few who are obese and unfit  as well as those who are very underweight......

if overweight people have a medical condition then they will have to have an annual checkup where it can be discussed......

if they only visit their doctor once a year with a cold then obviously the weight isn't causing them any health problems so isn't really relevant is it

• CindersCinders ✭✭✭

Seren, this was a national thing for all the new intake.  We had a call after the screening to ask if we had concerns, said yes and they offered to help monitor how much he eats for lunch as that was the problem.  I think they only monitor in year R though.

• SuperCazSuperCaz ✭✭✭

I constantly get pestered everytime I go to the doctors because of a potential medical condition that I don't have.  Its very frustrating and it does put me off going for other conditions as I don't want to hear the same story again.  I guess that this is similar to being told that you are fat, except that in my case there is nothing wrong with me and nothing that I am going to do about it.

But on the other hand they also take the opportunity to tell me when my vaccinations or smear test is due and I welcome those reminders.

I am technically classed as obese but my GP has never told me to lose weight.  In fact he has specifically told me NOT to try to lose weight as he is aware of my fitness level and doens't have faith in the BMI system.  He looks beyond the figures on the scales and uses his common sense when it comes to me.