The British 10K

2»

Comments

• London ? Some place dahn sarf ?  Hasn't it got a marathon as well 

• Dave The Ex- Spartan wrote (see)

London ? Some place dahn sarf ?  Hasn't it got a marathon as well 

Not just A marathon Dave...THE marathon. image

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Well spotted Dave. And that Marathon you speak of is a mere 32 quid (for 42k) and the baggage arrangements are first class! As is all of the organisation.

You can also tell all of your mates that you did "THE" marathon. You can't put a value on that.
  • Suppose its the skewed version of value for money everyone has dahn sarf...

You are so used to getting ripped off in London that getting done £50 for a jog (it can't be a race cos there is no timing) is VFM for a sufferner

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

I'm a southerner, and I wouldn't DREAM of paying fifty quid for a race.  Let alone something that isn't a race.  

Local 10k races can put them on for £15, and with chip timing.  And I think that's a bit steep.  I remember when you'd get change from a tenner...

• Wilkie wrote (see)

I remember when you'd get change from a tenner...

and you got that change in groats ?

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭
  • YKW wrote (see)

People should be allowed to hear both sides of the story and make an informed decision. Some people like it - some don't. Runners world own event ratings state 53% who would do it again.

I am guessing you are one of the 47% who won't which is fair enough - but let other people have an opinion too.

But, compared to the 96% of people (in the RW event ratings) who would do the BUPA London 10k again, 53% is a pretty poor satisfaction rate!

• Nope I'm not one of the 47% .... I read all the opinions here, the threats of legal action by the organiser etc, and didn't bother to do it 

• There is no way this race can possibly be called value for money. I enter 50 mile ultras for less!

• Wilkie wrote (see)

Local 10k races can put them on for £15, and with chip timing.  And I think that's a bit steep.  I remember when you'd get change from a tenner...

Dave The Ex- Spartan wrote (see)

and you got that change in groats ?

Check it out: Henfield HALF MARATHON - 18th August. £10(affiliated). Mildly cheaper than The British Rip Off (10k)

• YKWYKW ✭✭✭

After the "debate" we had on this  - I actually entered it to see what it was like. And I really enjoyed it.

Bit of a slow start and long walk to the baggage area - but other than that it was in my humble opinion (as a real beginner) good fun.

Is a bit steep at £50 but in my opinion decent (but great or amazing) value for money.

Flame on. image

• It is your money - but ??50 for a 10k is well over the going rate.

If you look around the country you'll be able to do all sorts of fantastic races - even ones where the baggage is handy for you - and you can get a decent pace straight from the go - for a lot cheaper.

I think you're only thinking decent value for money as you don't have anything else to base it on ?
  • I'm glad you had a good time YKW but the more races you do the more you'll realise that this one was not value for money.

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Out of interest YKW what other races have you done?
  • XX1XX1 ✭✭✭

I'd imagine that most people who do this event live and work in London...  Given the average London salary, 50 quid really isn't going to kill anyone who wants to enter this event...  Quite a lot of things seem expensive to me and not particularly good VFM compared to a cheaper option...  A lot of people are drawn to big ticket gigs and will do this because it's London...  IMHO the Glastonbury Festival used to be good VFM, a long time ago, but was attended by a much smaller crowd the...  I'd never contemplate going to that now...  The British 10K isn't an event that interests me but each to his/her own.

• I live and work in London and I think it's too much for a 10k - especially this 10k. 

• YKWYKW ✭✭✭

Far point about the comparisons, so far I have done:

1. BHF Regents Park Run 5k     - £12 includes chip timing, generic medal and (non-technical) t-shirt

2. Eye 10k    (Local 10k race) - £12 nothing included

3. Whipsnade 10k - £28 includes chip timing, event specific medal and zoo entry (which is normally £20 odd)

4. British 10k - £50 includes chip timing, event specific medal, 2 technical t-shirts (long + short sleeve)

Of the above, I most enjoyed the Whipsnade 10k - watching a rhino charge you whilst running is a surreal experience. Also got to walk around the zoo afterwards which is a nice touch. Medal was ace too.

My local race, the Eye 10k was ok but overall probably slightly worse than a park run. A little bit dull (from the back where I was) - and filled with "eliteist" runners (note eliteist doesn't always mean rude, as they were very nice and friendly) - I finished 3rd from last in a field of 500 odd.

Overall I would rate them as follows (when considering cost and experience):

1. Whipsnade 10K
    2. British 10K
    3. Regents Park Run
    4. Eye 10k

I have stumped up £35 or so for the VLM next year's ballot - and fully expect not to be successful (very good value for money but it's like getting face priced tickets to a concert) and £75 or so for a brighton marathon as a backup.

Yes I could run around my block 20 times and cover the same distance but I like the experience. I like the medals, I like technical t-shirts, I like the people and I don't mind spending £50 for all of those ... just not too many times.

Hopefully next year the Bupa 10,000. Then I would have a direct comparison.

• SEdanSEdan ✭✭✭

I did this and won't do again.

The organisation was shambolic. My wife didn't get any sort of race pack and had to go to central London the day before to pick up her number. Not exactly great service for £50. She still hasn't received her T-shirts (they are crap anyway).

The events on the day were clearly not geared towards runners. Katrina from Katrina and the Waves singing 2 songs on the startline delaying runners on a very hot day? Give me a break and knock £5 off the entry price rather than paying her...

My office is literally round the corner so didn't experience the baggage facilities...

• Daniel Jackson 8 wrote (see)

will never do this event again. Late starting. Not enough stewards, no starting groups so i was caught at the back. I then had to run the first 5 km in heavy congestion while other 'runners'(that's being generous) walked, stopped, took pictures of themselves( i kid you not this lead to a very frustrating run I have learnt my lesson and will stick to smaller runs. This run is ok for fun/charity/first timers but for anyone else will be excruciatingly frustrating

I did it last year, and this pretty much sums it up (apart from the cold weather).  The only other thing I would add was that as well as walkers in front, there were faster runners coming through behind us.  The route is nice and it's OK for a first run, but no more than this. 

• Just a shame that it gets filled up every year - if the uptake dropped then it would make a statement to the organisers.

The Bupa 10000 does seem to have an idea. Gave up some places to clubs too, just a shame I had done the Westminster mile the day before (which was really well organised also.)

Some more bogs at the Great South Run would have been nice too.

• YKW wrote (see)

My local race, the Eye 10k was ok but overall probably slightly worse than a park run. A little bit dull (from the back where I was) - and filled with "eliteist" runners (note eliteist doesn't always mean rude, as they were very nice and friendly) - I finished 3rd from last in a field of 500 odd.

First off, I think you mean 'elite' runners - elitist, despite your parentheses, has a pejorative meaning. I'm a bit confused by your reference to parkrun. Parkrun is a free 5k run that goes ahead every Saturday morning in hundreds of places and caters for everyone, from the very fast to the very slow, with no grace or favour. By saying something is 'worse than parkrun' are you suggesting that parkrun is not very good? It's not not very good - it's brilliant. And did I mention that it's free?

• Confused by the very small type my last post came up in....!

• Don't get me started on the organisation of this race.

Danrees, in my opinion Katrina was the only decent thing about the race in the end!  The wave system didn't work, I too spent all my time trying to get through a wall of people slower than me (including people making phonecalls and taking photos!!!) , and I'm sure others who started behind me had the same frustration with me (running slower not taking photos), I  didn't really see the course as I had to focus so much on not running into people. I did not get out of breath once during the race! I'm glad I hadn't trained really hard otherwise I would have been gutted. Starting late, my warm up was totally pointless. Where did they get the guy at the start from who didn't seem to know why he was there or who he was introducing? Water stations were badly managed.  Thank you I needed that rant.