PSOF Championships 2014 - Ironman France

Comments

• M..o.useM..o.use ✭✭✭

When I've flown BA neither of my bags has ever been over 20kg so I'm always very happy.  When I fly Easyjet I'm completely paranoid that my baggage is over and their scales always seem to weigh heavier than mine.  That said, I've never been charged excess baggage by Easyjet (though I know those who have).  I've never been close to exceeding the allowance with BA, so can't comment.

In terms of transporting the bike, I've never had issue with either company for non-arrival or damage.

If I were flying from a London airport I suspect it would be a straight cost/convenience comparison between the two carriers.

Always been a bit scared to take the bike Ryanair though, never done that.

• In my experience (havnt checked if theyve changed the rules), they let you take a bike as an extra piece of luggage at no extra charge, usual bike packing rules, max 23kg.  Ive only one experience when theyve being pedantic about the 23kg and made me move stuff to my suitcase.

Reason ive flown BA is good service and you know what youre getting, no surprises or getting hammered with a 'fine' if youve forgotten to print your boarding card or whatever.

When ive added all the extra's that 'budget airlines' charge they dont normally work out much (if any) cheaper than BA

• Avalaf - yesterday image

and if I remember rightly we booked flights October time when we went last time

• Thanks for the advice all. Still undecided to book flights now or hang on

• Bouncing Barlist wrote (see)

In my experience (havnt checked if theyve changed the rules), they let you take a bike as an extra piece of luggage at no extra charge, usual bike packing rules, max 23kg.  Ive only one experience when theyve being pedantic about the 23kg and made me move stuff to my suitcase.

Barley, the rules on BA luggage changed this year (June) you'll need to stump up extra to take your bike as it will be a separate piece of baggage.  If you're flying economy inside Europe you are also restricted to a single piece of hold luggage, although it is now possible to buy 'no hold luggage' tickets.

• M..o.useM..o.use ✭✭✭

So they've released the date of Outlaw half and it's June 1st.  Must confess to being a bit tempted.

• M..o.use wrote (see)

BA vs EasyJet

BA is, if I recall, slightly more expensive booking the bike on BUT they class your bike as another piece of luggage so you get a standard luggage allowance for it.  I think it's 20kg a piece.

Easyjet, I think, charge you slightly less for your bike BUT they then say that your total hold luggage allowance is 32kg (distributed as you wish) which makes me completely paranoid about going over.  I can't get my bike down to 12kg when boxed so it eats into my other baggage.

In 2009 (Switz) my bag did not arive ... it missed the transfer at Heathrow somehow ... BUT BA were great in rectifying the problem ... the bike arived at the hostel while we were out drinking beer (I mean eating past) 

• Is there also a half IM on the same weekend at Nice or just the full course? 

• After having a long chat with my other half half last night we have decided that as much as I would love to come to Nice next year, with her impending redundancy it just isn't feasible. So we have decided on Outlaw instead, which still means meeting some pirates and also we can still have a holiday Next year as well.

On the ultra plus side she has decided she wants to join in with this Triaflon thing and is signing up to the Outlaw half! 

• Sounds like a sensible decision to me Rocoo, we'll miss you but no doubt many of us will be at Outlaw supporting.  If youre other half wants something to occupy her during the day and still get a chance to support you, we'll be doing one of the bike feedstations, she's welcome to join us.

• It was a head vs heart decision. She has already said yes to Austria 2015 though, I think the fact she has never been there and fancies a holiday helps. 

Ill mention the feed station to her and I'm sure she'll be up for it, she does love shouting at people. Do you do a feed station at the half as well? 

• Helping with a feedstation at a half is an option and has been suggested, personally im hesitant to get involved organising anything else, if others want to do it its up to them to organise it im afraid.

• Bouncing Barlist wrote (see)

Helping with a feedstation at a half is an option and has been suggested, personally im hesitant to get involved organising anything else, if others want to do it its up to them to organise it im afraid.

So, Barlos, what organising do you do for feedstations image 

• He ordered breakfast for us both when we went to do the recce this year - does that count at organisation? image

• Following an okish start to my IM endeavours in Bolton the other day (I got round) I'm really tempted by this.  The Pirate support was bloody fantastic, and I got a mild telling off on here from Barlos as one of those that doesn't 'give back'.

Well, I've been bitten by both the Pirate and the IM bug.  One quick question, how do the Nice hills compare to the IMUK course?  Positive encouragement please??  I guess the run's easier right?

i think I'm in......

• Nice hills are tough for sure but they are over and done with on the first 70% of the course .. I am not sure how they compare to IMUK tho

Welcome aboard  image

• Looks like I wont be able to do this (Or switz - which I was fancying again) due to holiday problems image ... so I may have to do UK instead image

• M..o.use wrote (see)

BA vs EasyJet

BA is, if I recall, slightly more expensive booking the bike on BUT they class your bike as another piece of luggage so you get a standard luggage allowance for it.  I think it's 20kg a piece.

Easyjet, I think, charge you slightly less for your bike BUT they then say that your total hold luggage allowance is 32kg (distributed as you wish) which makes me completely paranoid about going over.  I can't get my bike down to 12kg when boxed so it eats into my other baggage.

When I flew easyjet to Lanzorote, they didn't check the joint weight. The bike box was weighed seperately and I stuffed loads of stuff into it.

I've always had good service with Easyjet

• I've paid up!  Looks like I'd better start training then!  image

• WildWill wrote (see)

Looks like I wont be able to do this (Or switz - which I was fancying again) due to holiday problems image ... so I may have to do UK instead image

wont get sunburnt in Bolton Will image

• *you* probably could Calf ...  !!

• could....bloody well would....I can get sunburn stood under the fluro light in the kitchen!image

• Hotel and flights booked image Already itching to start training...

A 2 week holiday drinking the Thailand bars dry next week should set me off for a start image

• Sorry guys, I can't do this one.

Bummer.

• Pop-Up Schmunks - The List Fairy wrote (see)

If you want pirate kit for this this, you need to get your name on the current kit order thread here.

Please take the time to read the first page as that is where you will find the answers to most of the general questions

Cheers

• prompted by the cynical Ironman marketing, (all our races are selling out), 

I'm in image

we confirm your entry for the Ironman France-Nice on 29th June 2014!   

Event:
     Ironman France Nice 2014 (English)
    Date: 29/06/2014 - 00:00 
    Payment: 477.00
    Balance Due: 0.00

need to start practising shouting for aid on the bike in a comedy french accent...

• l'eau!, l'eau!
    • powerbuear! powerbuear!
    • vite vite!

• My OH asked me yesterday if I had entered this........   She almost sounded disappointed when I said no, think she had plans for a beach in the south of France

• Do you have to do the bike leg wearing a string of onions?

• Can you get aero onions?