Wild Boar

Comments

• Brill report Buttercup, I forgot about the tractors, I nearly had to leap over the bridge into the canal to avoid that bigun.

I feel a bit upset I didn't see the pigeon, I might drive over later and see if its still there.

Cake, I'm looking forward to Cosmo more than the Sprint image 

• here normally a few folks come and play butter cup. For a sprint it's pricey but you get a medal. image

• Cosmo is a buffet type restaurant, highly recommended for Pre race carb loading and post race recovery loading and lunchtime greedyness 

http://www.cosmo-restaurants.co.uk/

• image image When sarah was studing in coventry she spent every opertunity to go there. They even have a chocolate fountain. The last few times we've done this tri we have stayed in coventry rather than staying at stratford or asking friends and family to put us up just so we can go there the night before. It's that good!

Also worth checking out browns in coventry for food. If it's good enough for a dietisan you know it's good. image

• Hmmm don't think I can do the sprint as I have the Royal Parks Half the next week, but I may be able to come and support if anyone my way is going to go support/do the tri...

• Buttercup where are you baised chuck?

• Wild boar

Right oh pre race had a slight hair malfunction on the Saturday was in a rush and needed to cut my hair a little put on the wrong clipper’s on and basically gave myself a skin head by mistake. By the time I realised my error I could ever try to pull off looking like Keith from the prodigy or go all the wayimage. Sarah was not happy. Stayed at Caz’s the night before and managed to take in some open water swimming in a river and a nice pub meal. Sunday morning got up early went on a magical mystery tour from the sat nav and got there nice and early set up T1 minced and got changed. Saw a few pirates and aslo a few folks from Sheffield tri club so was gassing to both. Then disaster stuck! I had lost my chip. After a mad panic one of the mashal’s gave me a spare one. Got in the water and waited for the start.

Swim

There were a lot of newbie’s at this one and some of the good swimmer’s where to far back. First 100m got battered from all angles as people sorted themselves out was fun and just like rugby other than an occasional elbow to the head so just like rugby then. Was very surprised by how much weed was there this year. Got round the first loop ok other than a crawler being roughly the same speed as me and having to stop for a minute before we started to mate like whales. Second loop started to enjoy it a little but hadn’t done enough open water this year and it showed. Some of the canues where day dreaming and had to avoid a couple of them as they were watching where the other swimmer’s where and not where the bouys where. My sighting was spot on no one else’s near the back was as they all had their head down and not looking where they were.

T1

Took my time got everything right and was surprised I wasn’t last out of the water, struggled to get my wetsuit off but think that was just because I’m to much of a chucky monkey at the moment. Saw butter cup and checked she could get out of her wetsuit.

Bike first loop realised I hadn’t had any breakfast and needed energy so took on loads of food from my bento box. Wind was a problem heading out and didn’t really enjoy it much. Was a young horse on the way into Bosworth market and felt sorry for the rider having to contend with lots of fast bikes but they should have known a race was on and not took the horse down that road if it’s skittish. Managed to set off the speed sign in Bosworth which cheered me up. After that was just watching my speed and getting down to business. On the last loop my bike computer was misbehaving so wasn’t sure if pacing it right. Nothing to report on the bike other than some nice folks at the feed station and a 4x4 being a c*ck womble so situation normal. On the final loop a young lad was doubled up in cramp and stopped to see if could be on any help.

T2

Found my chip on my trainer’s and felt a prat also situation normal. Got changed and headed out.

• Run

Left knee had been a problem since the swim and was reduced to limping for the first few miles. Managed some banter and saw most folks got to the turnaround point ok and asked them to sign build me up butter cup with me and Chris giving them the words. Soon after the turn around wimped out of running with Chris as knee to much of an issue. Got back to T1/2 for the second loop ok and got a cheer from the pirate massive. For some reason Sarah didn’t want to get to close to me but still got a quick snog. Back out and back again with no real issue’s other than having to walk half of it, bumped into badger on the last bit back as he was driving home so at least got to say see you next time. The lad who had been doubled up with cramp fineshed not long after me and did a very good job fineshing, was brave and brilliant.

Job done and got ice cream.image Was lovely to meet folks and put a name to JP and his brilliant wife. My times was still bad for my own ability but a defiant improvement on the last few races. So got stuff to build on. Only down side was didn’t think to say hello to mathschick properly and also forgot to record outlaw so internet it is them.

• Oh and schumunks if your still lurking I would give this one serious consideration for next year if you want a HIM. While the weeds this year where a problem in the water the atertude of the organiser's was just as good as last year a generally a very good race for pro's and newbie's. Only conplaint if have for this year is the t-shirt is good but doesn't have the race on it and is in black so not the best for a cold winter's morning on a bike.

• cake - you made me chuckle when you said you found your chip on your trainers!

Yeah, shame we didn't get much chance to chat but everyone was just dashing off home. Next time.... I did have a nice time chatting with Sarah, SuperCaz and Mr and MrsDimage felt a bit bad that buttercup's OH wasn't with us but figured he was happy listening to his music and hope he knew he could join us if he wanted

• Yeah he was fine reading his paper/books and listening to his music - he has a very large ipod image suspect he would've perked up with a bit more coffee!  image

• The Full Boar at Market Bosworth was going to be my second half iron distance race of 2013, following the pirate DIY half in April and the iron distance outlaw in July. This race going to be the last tri of the season and one that I wanted to complete as it is the most local race to me and I’m hoping to use the results as a baseline for future development.  Preparation had been getting back into training following the recovery period after Outlaw, but I was feeling fit and ready for the race. Race day came and I met up with Joddly, had the chance to congratulate her on her Kona slot. Few more pirates arrived had a good chat with SuperCaz (amazing swim), met Cake, JPG, Red Dog and Buttercup, wished them all a good race and went to rack the bike. This was going to be the first time I’ve not got changed in transition so my racking slot looked empty with just socks, bike shoes, helmet, number belt, sunglasses, running shoes and run cap.

Swim – Bosworth is my local OW location so I was prepared for the mass of weeds and also the sighting locations are on the normal points,  so I was silently confident of a good swim. Set off with the leading group but couldn’t tag onto anyone’s feet properly few bashes on the turn points but nothing too bad, out in 31:10.

T1 – 01:43 – Sure this could be quicker but socks didn’t want to go on.

Bike – It’s a undulating bike route with some short little raises that allow for some quite long stretches of slightly downhill which was perfect for putting some power down. Had a few bike monkeys fly past me on these bits though, thought I was going backwards (really want some wheels that go whirrrr and some legs to power them).  Pirate support at the entrance to the water park was great loads of aaaaarrrrggggs and  lots of non pirate supporters had joined in by the 3rd lap. Passed Buttercup & Cake on the 3rd lap of the bike not sure what Cake shouted at me, sorry mate didn’t fancy stopping for a chat at that point in my head it was nice anyway . Course was marshalled very well and the four laps went smoothly with nutrition sorted, backside was a little tender being in tri shorts but finished bike in 02:46

T2 – 01:02 – No drama’s

Run – Ran okayish, didn’t get lost, had the chance to see Joddly who was running effortlessly really thought she had 3rd pace in her sights, Red Dog whom was looking strong (until he got lost) JPG whom was doing amazing for his first half, Cake who cracks me up, came running at me with arms outstretched like something out of a chick flick for a man hug, and Buttercup who could have ran in a cocktail dress and not looked out of place.

Run 01:40

Total – 05:00:43 – PB now where can I find 44 seconds 

• great report, TB - just don't encourage buttercup with her fancy dress ideas - she has already got the idea of tutus for outlaw for us!! I am not swimming it in a cocktail dressimage

• Brill report TB, Cake. I think you should wear tutu's mc.image

been contemplating my race. knocked 4 mins off last years swim- did 33 mins this year a positice i can take, bike split was about same as last year 3 hrs- with the wind i guess I can't grumble- run time was extra 15 mins- ok I went the wrong way, but I did the same as last year and ended up walking/ running.

So advice needed- I have been doing more hills this year- run and bike, long brick sessions with lots of hills and been coping well- so why do I feel the need to walk? I thought I had sorted my nutrition, took on 1g per kg every hour as suggested, paced myself fairly well on the bike and legs felt ok going into T2 is there something I am not doing in my training? Anyone have any thoughts? 

• EP!

you ok hun? Yes maybe it's my head saying stop you idiot what are you doing to me. Thing is though it never happens in training and it never happened when I did outlaw. It's always these pesky halvesimage

• Sounds to me like you need to do more head training than physical training.  But hey, I know nothing about triathlon training so I could be wrong.  However I do know that the majority of my swimming training was to prepare me mentally for getting bored / tired and wanting to quit when I didn't really need to.  For me, endurance events are more about the brain than the muscles

• Caz, yes probably is I think I might look on amazon to see if there are any books. Can you recommend any? Brill to meet you on Sunday too btw!image

• No idea with books.  My training was based around the concept of telling everyone what I was going to do enough times that I then couldn't drop out while they were watching.

I did lots of very boring pool swims to get used to focing myself to keep going when bored.  I didn't ahve any witnesses then, but I told enough people on FB that checked up on me later.  I was tempted to lie to them a few tims but i would only be cheating myself.

Another trick was to imagine them standing on pool side watching me.  I imagined the disappointment on their faces if I quit and the look of disgust if they knew I had quit just because I was bored or feeling tired.

• That's something i will try when I do my last few races Caz. Both halves i did last year and this year I have walked at some point, they have both been hilly- I have worked on hills, maybe I still have a mental barrier towards races with hills? Outlaw is flat I didn't walk. I need analysing lolimage

• Lovely reports guys - thank you.

Chris - if it's only in HIM and not in the full distance could it be pacing? I know that I can't help but run too fast off the bike so I give myself the first mile to let the legs do what they want whilst trying to get my breathing to what feels like an effort I can sustain - and after that, it's a mental game. There was some really good research done about this by an Italian called Samuele Marcora at the University of Bangor - the psychobiological model of exercise tolerance.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Great reports TB & Cake! I'm near Loughborough Cake.

RDC - Not that I can talk about going fast when running but I try not to let the 'oh just walk a bit' thought even start - it is really easy to slide down into that thought becoming an action.  Lucky for me I'm mostly stubborn image (even when I'm absolutely knackered) and I had Bob Marley's 3 little birds running around in my head the whole run on Sunday.  If I can sing in my head then I cant think those thoughts in the first place image

• Ohh that sounds interesting Little Miss. I did have a plan to pace myself and stuck to it for the first lap- well until i got lost(see earlier post for details). What's the main idea behind the model?  

• Buttercup, I could give you a lift.  I have room in my car for an extra bike and person if I pack carefully.  Especially a small person.

• I think I read something about him and his work in 'The Iron War' it was really interesting about how the body can function far past what we 'think' we can do and the peeps like Dave Scott and Mark Allen are just better at ignoring what the brain is telling us.  There was an exercise with rugby players (i think) where they had to cycle to the point where they thought they couldnt do any more (really exhausted) and then they had them go again a brief time period later - when if they had really been at their limit they wouldn't have been able to do - our brains are just very good at diverting our attention from doing long, hard work.  It was very interesting to read.

• Yayayay luckily I is a small person SuperCaz - consider it a date!  I will come and support image

• Thanks Buttercup, I'll look that up- I obviously had a hill trauma as a child, a hill may have touched me inappropriatelyimage

• Send me your address nearer the time image  I can't work more than about a week in advance or I get confused about which event I'm supposed to be going to