Specialized Roubaix - Advice Needed

2»

Comments

• image...isn't that the one that's fitted with the 30mph downhill limiter??...image

• Butter Cup tri bars like that do not work on road bike geometry there is a great article here on road/ tri bike positions and tri bars

http://www.slowtwitch.com/mainheadings/techctr/bikefit.html

Basically a shorter hammer type bar works best on a road bike if you ride a TT bike it's a totally different body portion to a road bike and takes a bit of getting used to

• Thought you had a PX Meldy

• Flat Foo..ted wrote (see)

image...isn't that the one that's fitted with the 30mph downhill limiter??...image

I have had it upgraded to 37mph   image

• I'm surprised about the price. A Spesh Roubaix, even with Elite spec groupset should only be 800 or 900. I bought a Specialized Allez (Elite spec) just over a year ago. I've put a lot of weekend miles on it, rain and shine. I've now fitted aero bars and it goes 2mph faster.

The Roubaix is almost identical to the Allez, although billed as having a bit more of a flexible frame. No hardship there. You've placed an order, so why have the nervous wobbles now? Seriously you should have tried and tested the bike first. Even if it's just on the turbo.

OK, so what have I found? The wheels and freewheel block got replaced under guarantee, I'm now on R500 wheels. The tyres as fitted were brilliant. The gear shifts were glorious when new. I think that mileage has taken its toll. Needs adjusting, but that's life. The Specialized range of saddles don't agree with my arse. Leather is better than man made. Popular changes are Prologo, Fizik, Selle Italia and others. I'm not fully happy yet. There is an argument that you bed in your arse and harden it up.
    Pedals, take your pick, but keep the cheap ones it was sold with. They are great for sprint tri's. Cock all use for real biking or HIM/IM/training.

• popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭

I'd definitely avoid the Roubaix if you want to fit tri bars - cancel the order.

Tarmacs are standard road geometry - not particularly agressive.   Planet x are quite long and low - wouldn't suit me but suits some.   

• popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭

As for decent bike shs in the Midlands - yes loads - depends whereabouts in the Midlands - might be worth travelling if you know what you want but you'll find all the major brands within 15 miles I'd have thought.  Ask for a few freebies thrown in - pedals or shoes or something.

• HappychapHappychap ✭✭✭

Tarmacs are lovely image 

• HappychapHappychap ✭✭✭

FWIW I only ever once bought one bike from Evans.  Within 18 months I've had to replace the wheels, tyres, reattach a crank that fell off and then emergency stop when the rear mech snapped off and lodge itself in the wheel.

I was probably unlucky with the bike (shit happens) but store response was not interested.  I'd never go back and certainly wouldn't buy a bike from them again.  

• I have placed the order but the £50 deposit is fully refundable for whatever reason. I have ordered to pick up from store and get fitted but when I spoke to them yesterday they said "we'll try and get you time to get fitted but if the stores busy then it won't be very long" WTF is all that about? I'm spending £1200 on a bike and they'll 'fit me in if they can'

i was so annoyed yesterday after I'd spoken to them again. Oh yeah, I'd also forgot that when I was in store on Monday, I asked what a 'compact' was (told you my knowledge was shite). His response, 'it's any bike that has 2 cogs on the front...' I knew that didn't seem to ring true do I checked up when I got home. What a surprise, a total load of dogs danglies.

i won't be buying from Evans, especially now I know I can get a lot more for £1200.

• Final RVFinal RV ✭✭✭

Don't expect a bike fit in an Evans store, they'll set the seat post height and that's about it.

• So it would seem RV. Don't know why but I always had this illusion that Evans was a good store! Lol

• I have placed the order but the £50 deposit is fully refundable for whatever reason. I have ordered to pick up from store and get fitted but when I spoke to them yesterday they said "we'll try and get you time to get fitted but if the stores busy then it won't be very long" WTF is all that about? I'm spending £1200 on a bike and they'll 'fit me in if they can'

i was so annoyed yesterday after I'd spoken to them again. Oh yeah, I'd also forgot that when I was in store on Monday, I asked what a 'compact' was (told you my knowledge was shite). His response, 'it's any bike that has 2 cogs on the front...' I knew that didn't seem to ring true do I checked up when I got home. What a surprise, a total load of dogs danglies.

i won't be buying from Evans, especially now I know I can get a lot more for £1200.

• Ooh just been looking at the Planet X website. I have to say I'm pretty impressed by what I see. I'd never heard of them before. I assume from what you guys are saying that they are good bikes? Do you get a lot for your money with these bikes? 

They are quite far away but if they are good bikes and they do proper fitting then I think I'll pay them a visit.

• Final RV wrote (see)

Don't expect a bike fit in an Evans store, they'll set the seat post height and that's about it.

Wouldn't even expect them to get that right, to be honest - especially given they believe you can't ride far on a Tarmac. Nobody told Nibali, it would appear.

• popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭

I think with a lot of bike shops it's pot luck who serves you - a good shop would only employ knowledgeable staff but most have a mix.   Leisure Lakes in Breaston has been cited in this thread as a good shop but years back it sold me a mountain bike that was too small - I was just getting into road cycling, knew nothing of off road bikes, and took their advice  bit it was wrong advice - so wrong just about every MTBer I met told me it was too small (until it got nicked).  But another member of staff maybe and another purchase equals a satisfied customer.

There used to be a woman posted on here - Duck Girl?- she was a student who got a job in a bike shop - remember her giving advice that you should size a bike by standover height - obviously what the shop had told her when selling kids bikes !  If you visit any of the shops near Derby and want a second opinion let me know and I don'tmind  coming down.  

• Last night in Evans I witnessed exactly that (standover height). Scary.

• BunglesBungles ✭✭✭

As someone who has got this wrong myself I would echo everyone else. Don't buy from Evans or anywhere like Halfords. They know naff all about bikes, £1200 is a lot of money in anyone's book so go somewhere where you will get a good service.

Although it's a bit of an outlay have you thought about getting a bike fit before you buy (a proper one like Retul) this would tell you what brand of bike would suit you. As someone who has a short body but long legs I know some brands are more suited to me because of their geometry.

if you can't afford or don't want a bike fit then at least go to a shop they knows something about bikes (not Evans!!) as I don't live in your neck of the woods I can't recommend anywherI but others have.

good luck, don't settle for a crap service, they only do it as they get away with it!,

• I tried to buy a Boardman MTB from Halfords earlier this year. They told me I probably need a 16inch frame - so I asked if they could get one in so I can try it - and if I liked it I would buy it. They said No - i would have to pay for it before they could get one in, and they would not be able to refund me any money if it didn't fit (which I didn't believe). Now thats customer service for you! image

• I think I really like the look on the Planet X bikes. definitely think I'm going to go and have a look and a chat. I'm loving the looks of pro carbon shimano ultra and there seem to be some good reviews for them.

popsider, thank you for your very kind offer. This is why I love this forum - everyone ihelpful so helpful and friendly. Hopefully ill be able to contribute back once I have some clue as to what I am doing! Hehe image

• Just seen the email from PX with the SL Carbon with near full ultegra for £1200 outstanding value...wheels a little heavy but perfect for upgrading later...as long as you like blue frames

• O.rangeCannon (kona-7) wrote (see)

GG

hills are overrated image

Flat Foo..ted wrote (see)

Just seen the email from PX with the SL Carbon with near full ultegra for £1200 outstanding value...wheels a little heavy but perfect for upgrading later...as long as you like blue frames

Yes, since I saw it yesterday I've been telling myself 'I do like blue, I really do like like blue don't I?'

problem is, I really don't like blue! lol - I do like the matt black and the red though, problem is they are another £200. Maybe a nice big bouquet of roses for the other half may do the trick!! imageimage

• My road bike is a Specialized Roubaix, it's Retul fitted for me and got me through 350miles in 5 days with no discomfort in Lanzarote earlier in the year.

Having said that, the best bike for you is the one that fits you best.  Going to a shop recommended by someone on here is the first step, then second step, make sure they're more interested in the dimensions of you than the dimensions of the bike.  Then third, it's good to build a relationship with the person that sells you the bike, so if it goes wrong, there's someone you trust to go back to.

A comfortable bike that fits you will be faster over a long distance than the ultimate aero bike that doesn't fit you.