Options

and now for something completely different....

Just like it reads. Im thinking of doing some stupid shit next year and in preparation im wanting to climb a mountain, not any mountain, but Snowden and Scafell Pike for starters so in August/September Im wanting to do a recce of snowdon and just wanted to know if we could get a few people off their arses for something a bit different and join in the fun.

My main aim is just to climb it, not shoot up it, but more to hone map reading skills and orienteering prowess, or lack of as the case will be. No one will need mapping experience as obviously theres well trodden paths and i just need to confirm map reading ability to what is actually there visually. 

Even though Snowden is bigger Im assured that Scafell is the more technically hard climb so im planning on doing that early next year after i done a bit of a climbing / orienteering course. 

Would like to hear if anyone is interested, i have kind of roped one in but more the merrier image

Comments

• Options

Recovery time is thinking time for you isn't it??  imageimage

• Options

Depending on dates I might be interested.

Does anyone fancy a "Pirate Welsh 3000s"sometime ion the future

• Options

Did Scafell Pike and Scafell last weekend ! 

• Options

It is indeed Melds but i had been thinking about some silly things for next year for a while.

Of course it is Colourin image

Marshallini - i wouldnt mind doing it but its a bit easy for you i think, i reckon youd be up and down them hills in about 5 or 6 hours. its not nearly as hard as the bob graham round which i also wouldnt mind attempting but a sub 24hour is going to be a hard target.

Date wise im looking at a sunday in the middle 2 weeks of august (11th or 18th) as i got the thunder run on 27th july and the vitruvian on 31st august

• Options

how did you find the pike dave - which route did you take ?

• Options

I did the Bob Graham round when I was younger. Took me about a week!

Snowdon doesn't need any map reading skills at all from the front. There is a nicer quieter route from the back.

Welsh 3000s would be a good day out if the weather is nice but a group trip would present some greater risks if the weather was marginal and not all participants have the relative skills. Just saying.

Not sure I would get permission.

M..eface

• Options

if you go up snowdon from llanberis you just follow the bloody great path........

I'm not allowed to do any silly tyhings in august this year as my priority will be preparing fort IMW..but would love to read about itimage

• Options

yea i didnt want to take the tourist trail really. i need to practice reading contours and visualising them before i see them if you know what i mean. im not prepared to do anything too silly without a clue as to what im doing in a more dangerous situation so i need to refine some mapping stuff and snowdon seems like a good starting point.

but snowdon isnt silly seren - piece of piss, silly things will be next yearimage - if permissions and funds are available

• Options

after what i did last weekend meface the welsh 3000s area welcome relaxer image

• Options

As Seren suggests, neither would really be considered a climb, more a stroll with some up flats!! Why don't we try Anubis on Nevis...now that's climbing!!

• Options

DK - you should go to the Cheviots if you want contour reading - all round grassy lumps. Far harder than the Lakes/Snowdon where the ridges make hand railing and contour guidance much easier.

That said I did my gold navigation qualification on a couple of square miles of lumpy grass by the Pen-y-Gwryd Hotel just a stones through from Snowdon.

Also included some work with maps which only have contours on them - nothing else. That was a challenge.

M..eface

• Options
    Rafiki wrote (see)

As Seren suggests, neither would really be considered a climb, more a stroll with some up flats!! Why don't we try Anubis on Nevis...now that's climbing!!

What about An Teallach? Always wanted to do that and picture is above the fireplacei n front of me. It is just such a freakin' long way.

• Options

what courses did you do Meface? who with ? i wanted to do the one that OMM did last year but im having trouble finding it for this year. i see they are doing it next year so might be every 2 years or something. i seen the maps with just contours on :/  and ill check out what races there are round the cheviots.

another reason for going to snowdon was to getused to the area as i may want to do some races around there

• Options

Rafiki - feck that anubis, i dont actually like heights and using ropes is just a bit beyond me, i like to be on 2 feet. i could cope with bouldering as long as theres a crash mat underneath image

• Options

DK - Have a look at Saunders and LAMM. OMM seem to be doing loads of stuff these days (Iceland and France?!). Snowdon isn't the place to learn nav- one route is Llanberis, from the other side you've got the Pyg and Miners from Pen-y-Pas and a bloody easy to spot horseshoe with Llyn Lyydar int he middle. If you can't read that I'd be worriedimage

Good day out may be 3 Peaks of Yorks? image

• Options

National Navigation Award Scheme

http://www.nnas.org.uk

When England won the rugby world cup in 2003 I know exactly where I was - Somewhere above Edale pointing at a bit of mud saying that is exactly where you wanted me to navigate to. Watched on video when we came down from the hill in the dark.

Looking back I probably should have just gone the extra mile and done Mountain Leader. I am fully qualified not to not get lost on my own but can't take anyone into the hills officially.

• Options

yes i seen LAMM and i quite fancy marmot dark mountains, i ws interested in OMM just because a course i read about last year, not the actual maras

• Options

oh thanks Meface this is more like what i wanted. been trying to find something like this but it all seems like everyone wants to give a course but none recognised by anyone other than themselves. just a money maker, NNAS looks right image

• Options

I have done loads of orienteering in Snowdonia...we used to head out at night in winter to make it more interestingimage It was always a bit mad but in the day is super easy, and has since come in handy in the Andes where I didn't know each farm by heart! 

• Options

By that I meant to say...go for it! It is a beautiful place and there are some amazing walks if you head off away from the tourist trains

• Options

Wasn't it Barlos that wanted to climb Everest and fly a pirate flag from the top..........but then he wanted to cross the channel in a pedalo too IIRC

• Options

shush about the pedalos FF...I'm sure that plan is still on the back burner somewhere

• Options

ALL.FCUKING.MAD. image

• Options
    Doner Kebab wrote (see)

how did you find the pike dave - which route did you take ?

It's not difficult to find.... It's the biggest bl**dy lump around    Boom Tsh

OK, Parked at Wasdale, Up the nose of Lingmell, joined the top of the corridor route on to Scafell Pike, Then dropped down Mickledore and up Lords Rake (still had some snow in it) and on to Scafell. Then a 2 mile walk down the ridge to Slight Side and back down Brown Tongue to the car.

Following day did the classic Mosedale Horseshoe, Kirk Fell, Pillar, Scoat fell, Steeple and Red Pike. Skipped Yewbarrow as time was getting on and we had a table booked for dinner

leaves us only 13 Wainwrights to go

• Options
    Colourin (aka Shivering Whippet) wrote (see)

That'd be me then?image

Hahaha, just what I was thinking!!!

So what's the plan next year Doner?  Everest?  K2??!

• Options
    fat buddhafat buddha ✭✭✭

pfft - if you want to climb a mountain choose a decent one to start with - Mt Blanc, Kilimanjaro, Aconcagua or similar....

all the UK ones are mere lumps...(that right DtC??)  image

and fyi - there's a few (erstwhile) pirates off to do Kili at the end of year....not me though, that one's been ticked .....image

• Options

imageimage It's date dependant and unfortunately with family stuff I can can't say when I'm free at the moment but I would be well up for any of this. If any good there is some good open water swimming near snowdonia I can try and get you a map of where later if you like.

• Options

Interesting mere lumps tho....

And we have managed to go over 6K metres a couple of times in Nepal