and now for something completely different....

Comments

• fat buddhafat buddha ✭✭✭
    Dave The Ex- Spartan wrote (see)

Interesting mere lumps tho....

And we have managed to go over 6K metres a couple of times in Nepal 

I'd see more of them if I was as close as you but it's easier for me to get to the Alps than the Lakes or Scotland

• When we went last weekend we hadn't planned anything but Suzie came home from work Thursday and said let's go, I packed the car whilst she rang round to find a B&B. and she found a pub with its known brewery ! 

• slimshadyslimshady ✭✭✭

I'm liking this thread image    Always up for something a bit mad but can't do August as I'm doing Embrunman on the 15th.

I'd be up for joining in on any later escapades though  image

• ooooo Can I come? My mountaineering club's hut is in Snowdonia (8 pounds/night for AWESOME self-catering accommodation anyone?) And there's a pub nearby image 

Anyway don't navigate up Snowdon - it's too well trod. I did my mountain leader training in Snowdonia - could show you some fun routes and navigation skills. I thought I was good at navigating until that course. 

Can you go in October? I'm up a mountain in India in August and then got a 70.2 end of September....

• Welsh 3000's and the OMM are also very much on my to-do list if anyone happens on this thread and fancies either next year...

• I was at about 130 of the Wainwrights at last count.

MedicGirl - When I did my NNAS Gold it was a beautiful day and stood on lumpy ground looking at contours and pacing out to idendtify a particular point on a contour line. In the back of mind I kept thinking what the heck is the point of this. Then micro navigating to another lumpy contour 0.5mile away and repeating the process.

Of course when it is dark, snowing and you are picking a small exit route from a hilltop, or worrying about cornices you realise the benefit of such precision.

• And while we are all boasting:

Highest I have been is Mt. Ruapehu in N.Z. at 2800m but it was in winter with axes and crampons (mild usage only).

The best bit was I was on a work trip. Suitcase with business clothes, rucksack with full winter gear. Client says what did you do at the weekend, just hang around the hotel.

No - I climbed your biggest mountain and snowcaved at the top for the night.image

One of the guys who worked for our reseller was mountain rescue so was in very safe hands.

I have also been up Box Hill in Surrey - where the London kids come to do Duke of Edinburgh.

• Je je je Meface:

I do that when I travel to Ecuador for work - suitcase and backpack. Did Cayambe, Chimborazo and Cotopaxi on weekends!

My colleagues think I am madimage 

• Lee the Pea wrote (see)

So what's the plan next year Doner?  Everest?  K2??!

Nothing that grand, and everyone seems to think that snowdon is easy to climb but that wasnt my intention. I know its a climb done by tourists but i thought it would be cool for a group of us to go up it and have a laugh, not for bragging rights.

Next year Im thinking of doing mountain marathons or ultras that require navigation and thats why i want to do snowdon. where i live there are no contour lines, i live in the fens - its flat as a pancake so i want to get used to looking at a map and tallying that with what i see before me, so even if theres a big wide path in front of me itll make no difference.

But on the other hand if we want to make a race out of getting to the top and down and down again by a predetermined route im up for thatimage 

• been dragged into the Lakeland 50 this year ( end of July , too soon!), did gaelforce west in Ireland which gave me lust for taking to the mountains. You should have loads of fun, good luck

• I loved the lakeland 50 .would like to go back and try the 100 one day when i return to doing ultras

• DK: Snowdon is a lovely mountain and if you're new ish a good place to practice because you won't get lost! You could do a long weekend and potentially wild camp (done that too and good mountain marathon prep). Options for day 2 are the carneddi or gliders.

The peak district is also an option. Not as high but some featureless landscape,  like kinder scout, where you really need to be good at navigation. 

• image I was just about to say DK I'm not that far away from Kinder if any of you guys fancy taking on that hill. It's not as high as some hills but the conditions and landscape can make it very different. Got spare beds and plenty of space for tents and know the area very well. Open invite and all that.

• Seren if the 50 is not a nightmare then maybe the 100 is a future project for the pirate off seasonimage

• thats good to know Cakey, over the next season im going to be doing a good bit of recce ing. Cant really do some of these fell/mountain races without knowing the lay of the land. image

• Medic - been looking at Trail magazine and TGO for ideas and that, loads of routes for the gliders about so ill prob end up doing a fair bit between north wales and peak dis

• Post season mountain climb then? Perfect thing when people aren't worrying about getting the brick sessions in on the weekend. My friends taught me most of what I know, plus with help from ML - would love to pass that on. image

I absolutely love mountains! 

• Looks like I will be in the Langdales on Sunday. Hope the weather holds up 

• marshallini wrote (see)

Pirate Kinder Dozen anyoneimage

quad killer image

• MG - yes definitely off season, i heard people have to wait to scramble in the busy periods, dont like waiting, where you based ?

• Dave The Ex- Spartan wrote (see)

Looks like I will be in the Langdales on Sunday. Hope the weather holds up 

Lucky Bugger. Have camped many times next to Old Dungeon Ghyll, also stayed at Langdale Estate quite a few times, and rented a flat above the post office in the village. Some cracking routes. The Scafells are an awesome day out from Langdale.

I once bumped into a chap going up the band who I had met 5-years earlier on the coast-2-coast.

Enjoy it.

• London, although Kent temporarily in the Autumn. image

So for a weekend the Peaks and Snowdonia are always my first choice because the Lakes are miles. 

• Yorkshire 3 peaks is a good idea. Plenty of navigation opportunities and a challenge too. I'd be tempted with that for a good day out.

• Doner Kebab wrote (see)

thats good to know Cakey, over the next season im going to be doing a good bit of recce ing. Cant really do some of these fell/mountain races without knowing the lay of the land. image

Well just shout even if you are doing a weekend I'm away I can ask around and see who is about. Haileunlikely from some of the threads lives just down the road if you know him and got a few mates in dark peak and fat lads running clubs

Doner Kebab wrote (see)
    marshallini wrote (see)

Pirate Kinder Dozen anyoneimage

quad killer image

image nar a good day out. image

Throught for you lot if you wanted to there are lots and lots of fell races throughout the whole year if you wanted to get in some mischief? image

Soupy I'vew done 3 peaks before and would be well up for anouther jolly.image

• Soup Dragon wrote (see)

Yorkshire 3 peaks is a good idea. Plenty of navigation opportunities and a challenge too. I'd be tempted with that for a good day out.

We did it whilst I was at Leeds Uni in a shade under 6 hours and then stopped for Burger King XL Whopper meals on the way home. Then ordered XL Dominos Stuffed Crusts. I love exercise... image 

• Good idea! 

We took a tad longer than 6 hours though image

• It took me about 6 hours just to do 2 peaks. Cut out one of them cos set off  late and it started belting down with rain and bliddy miserable,  so doing all 3 is still on my to do list.  

• Am interested October on wards