running after broken collar bone

Hi I wondered if anyone can help. In May this year I ran the Edinburgh marathon in 3:55. Last Saturday I was knocked off my bike. The resulting broken collarbone, concussion and cut knees has left me unable to run. Can anyone suggest any exercises/stretches/advice to get me back on track? Am already worrying about loss of fitness and gain of weight! Many thanks.

Comments

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

The gaining weight part is easiest - don't eat as much as when you were running/riding!

• Poor you.

FWIW - broken collarbones are very common for cyclists. Lots of times they'll be back on an indoor trainer working out that week. I'd try and do lots of bike stuff or ski machines to keep up the intensity without the impact.

Hope their insurance compensates you for your pains !
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Have you had the collarbone set or is it being left to heal naturally?

You'll be needing to keep the sling on for 4-5 weeks and won't be running for about 8. That was roughly my experience when I came off my bike and broke the left collarbone last November.  I've got nerve damage in the area as well though and nowhere near right even now.  The important thing will be to start physio as soon as the bone has set - wait for x-ray and clearance from your consultant - if not NHS then private.  You need to get the range of movement back.

Long distance walking is about the best you can do for aerobic exercise (with the sling on).  I stated gentle running after about 8 weeks with my thumb in a band around my neck and have more recently progressed to a normal running action but after a few miles I have to rest the arm by crooking my thumb into the top of my vest or shirt, or with my hand on my hip.

Good luck with it.

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

I was commuting to work at the time.  I got back on my bike, as you do, and did the remaining three miles but when I got to work I realised there was a serious problem.  Very hard to change into my work clothes.  Had an X-ray, broken collarbone diagnosis, some PKs and a sling and I was back at my desk 40 minutes later.  Didn't lose a day's work, fortunately.

Haven't been on the bike since, either.  I think two feet are better than two wheels any day!

• Hey thanks all.

Wilkie- I reckon the not eating as much will be a challenge to rival my marathon training!

Cougie- not sure about insurance as don't know who knocked me off (they drove away)

T Rex- sounds like you had it worse than me. Mine's in a sling, no nerve damage though. Reckon I'll be walking soon, though any movement feels odd at the moment. Thanks for your input and good luck with yours!

• I joined the broken collarbone club on 8 June 2018 - walking the dog and not releasing the lead in time for a bird chase... Missed my 10km run on Sunday 10th...missing the 24hr Spitfire... and possibly missing half marathon 19th August? unless you have good advice and bright ideas for speedy recovery. Consultant not sure about surgery. Should know next week Tuesday... Is it ok to try a stationary bike? Is it ok to run, even if you experience some pain? I am still taking PK, but is slowly reducing the quantities. Sleeping on a couch in upright position....difficulty getting dressed etc...hopefully no nerve/muscle damage (despite a burning sensation under my arm) - bone in four pieces though?!
    Any advice?
  • Elna - I'm assuming you're in a sling to keep everything in the right place in the hope that it will heal on its own? Running will disturb the alignment so not a good idea but you should be ok to use the stationary bike if you can do so wearing the sling and keeping your arm in the right position. 
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • <div>
    </div><div>Hi, I torn my ligament while playing cricket few weeks ago. It’s the ligament joining the collar bone and the shoulder (not sure which one!) I am recovering but missing running:( 
    is there any strap that I can put around my shoulder (and strap it to my body may be?) for running even with some pain? 
    <span>Any recommendations? </span>
    </div>
  • Don't do it  - you risk delaying the healing never mind falling over and damaging something else. Hard as it is you need to suck it up and find something else to do whilst it heals - walking, cycling (on a stationary bike of course), leg work in the gym?
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • To keep your general fitness up, I would recommend long walks. At least 3 miles a day should keep you relatively fit.

As the saying goes, 'if you don't use it you lose it'. The best thing to do is keep moving, and steadily build yourself up to a level where your comfortable to increase the pace.

Agree with some other comments regarding the risk of delaying healing, however you should listen to your body. If you're in complete agony, don't run. If you're feeling confident, with no discomfort, you could carefully start running again.

Hope this helped, good luck!
    www.runnersfirst.co.uk is a blog for runners. It aims to educate, inspire, motivate and help the running community. Check Runners First out now!