Race Entry fees

13»

Comments

• Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭

I've made the point before about people referring to race entries as "Tickets"; some people see the stewards, the barriers, the stupid stalls, the cheering spectators and hear the loud music and make some sort mental link with a music festival before paying through the nose to run a race. 

• The Essex 20 miles in 2014 is charging £8 and you get a cup of tea at the finish too!

• Last year I made the decision not to pay more then £1 per mile - it's quite hard, you have to look around for nice local races, and I've been an enthusiastic supporter of my friends who have paid to enter big name races, which is rewarding in its own way; but I've raced in some beautiful countryside and been fed cake, sandwiches and tea for free in the village hall afterwards on numerous occasions.Who needs another crappy tshirt that my husband ends up wearing to work 'cos it's one size and therefore enormous on me!

My best so far was the Tregaron Half Marathon in mid Wales in Feb - £8 inc a woolly hat and free Stew and tea in the rugby club whuile watching the 6Nations match!

• robin_hood wrote (see)

The Essex 20 miles in 2014 is charging £8 and you get a cup of tea at the finish too!

But you have to run through Essex presumably?

• So how much is the Ramsbottom 20? 

• Liane , try gosport half marathon instead , flat course , great value for money and the most delicious free cake at the end . 

• Expos annoy me as they are nothing but a con to get more money from stall holders on top of entry fees. Travelling to a race the day before adds far more to race entry costs than inflated entry fees. Its no excuse that its needed to ensure smooth running of the event as there are plenty of races with over 12,000 runners that post entries out!

• What's an expo do exactly? I read Mike Hare's book and he wrote about going to expo's so my assumption is a somewhere you collect your number and goodie bag from. is it something you HAVE to attend,  as Dave said above it means you have to either travel there twice or stay over. Not sure why organisers would deem this necessary?

BTW, I unintentionally misled everybody - the GSR is actually £20  (still pricey judging by the comments). I thought I'd better post the correction, sorry! 

• GSR 10 mile run is £41 which is expensive but does pay for road closures and you do get a T shirt and a decent medal. Its not unusual for 10k races around here (SW London) to cost between £16-£25 to run around a park or along the Thames tow path and all you get is water in plastic cups and chip timing and cheap generic medal.

I think races like the GSR are fine for a certain type of runner who only enters one or two races a year and is after big crowds, a challenge, a good day out and a T shirt to show their friends.

There are plenty more low key events that are cheaper no thrills races for those that just want to 'race' and get a good PB. 

The ones I have a problem with are the mid priced 5-10k (in the £20 range) on open roads that are basically just charging you £20 for a race number and chip timing.

• Laine, an expo is  a bunch of stalls selling all kinds of (usually) pretty expensive sports wear, Garmins, etc.

• Laine, an expo is  a bunch of stalls selling all kinds of (usually) pretty expensive sports wear, Garmins, massage aids, etc.

• An expo is someone who used to be Polish.

• Would I lie to you?

• So far I've done 3 races ever. One was a 5k for £5. Not timing but you got a certificate, bottle of water, a banana and the knowledge that all the proceeds went to a local charity.

The 2nd was 10 k race and that was £9. All I got at the end was my time. The goody bags had run out by the time I'd gotten there (all the more reason to up my training for next year). The proceeds went to the local school.

Friday I ran a 5M race for £12. I got a medal and a banana for competeing. That was part of a 3 race series and i could have done all 3 races for 23 and gotten a race series T shirt. It was also the county championships so i got destroyed but still didn't come last. 

I have paid up for the luton half marathon. £23 excluding card fees. more like £25. I live in luton which is why i payed the fee. the start line is 0.5 miles from my house so stupid not to really.

Not to take anything away from people who do racing for sponsorship. I really enjoy running and I want to see myself get better. But I don't need to constantly pester my friends for sponsorship to do the runs for free. I'm quite happy to pay my own fee. 

Maybe one day I will run for charity but I will prbably pay my own fee and set up a just giving page and if anyone wants to pay they can pay no guilt trip or hassle.

• 100% agree Kevin. Extremely well put. 

• I'm a newbie at running, but Ive been to quite a few events and managed to get a couple of PBs. I usually attend venues that offers a free t-shirt. Yeah Im one of those runners who wear their momentos with pride.

'Been there done that got the t-shirt' and all that jazz is my usual mantra. lol

So far Ive been lucky to choose races that if I were to think about it hard enough was pretty decent for the price. The Bupa runs costing around £30-ish pounds are probably worth it. A decent goodybag and great atmosphere make it worthwile. For the cheap runs costing roughly £12-14 pounds I recommend the runthrough website which is based mostly around the london area. Did one recently in clapham, it was great and I got my PB and a free t-shirt lol.

So far from my experience you do get what you paid for!

• I won't do another charity one for a while. I wanted my first ever official run to mean something, I dedicated it to my dad who passed away last Oct and never knew I could run. I wanted to give back to the wonderful hospice and so far I've raised over £800. I'll race again, this time just for me knowing I've made Dad proud and done something to say thanks. 

Now I can run for the hell of it, and because I can 

• p.s I had a finishers medal placed round my neck friday and I hope that feeling of pride and acheivement never goes away with time. I can't even begin to remember when I  last felt that good. 

• Laine Shepherd wrote (see)

Point taken Sussex Runner (didn't mean to make you soooo angry lol). 

Don't worry Laine, it's easily done.  He's very sensitive. image

• I'd say the new Manchester Marathon 2012 takes the rip-off prize £46 + £5 for a stamp to recieve your race number!  I didn't even look at 2013!

• Out you're coffin early troll

• Putting together posts from different threads...   We both know who you are. 

• As I recall, soon after I first outed you you claimed not to know what a troll was.  Such irony.

• You showed me what one was my little pet. Sad little buggerimage

• I've told you before about ownership.  

You are the troll.

Give it up.

I wear the white hat

• CindersCinders ✭✭✭

You 2 still at it?

• I'd rather be at it with...

You work the rest out. image

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Going back several pages, I posted that bupa runs don't give the minimum £2 club runner discount that my recent uk athletics benefits booklet told me I was entitled to. Being a man of principle (I don't see why small local charity races should offer the discount and bupa don't) I contacted Athletics England with this query. So far, a week later they are completely stumped. The only response I have had so far is that they don't know and are investigating.