Lyrics: Meet me in the crowd, People people

Morning

What: 9 km fast and yoga
Why: going to a free concert tonight so missing lacrosse practice
Last rest: 20/06

Sunny here this morning image

Comments

• morning emzap,

Cheers for starting it. I just couldn't think of lyrics for todays thread.

What: Hills done off road with mile warm up and down .Just got back in when a heavy shower came on !

Raining here, warm rain.

Catch up time.

Back later

Enjoyed the athletics yesterday. Great 5k by Mo Farah.

• DustinDustin ✭✭✭

morning all,
    great session yesterday Blisters, and must catch up with both Farah & Judd's efforts yesterday.
    no rain here, in fact very bright first thing on the walk to the station.
    What - 3 easy miles lunchtime + timekeeping course (for swimming) tonight.
    Why - no sign of doms after Saturday
    last rest - yesterday
    last hard - saturday
    lyric - hmmm, pondering

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

Morning!

Some decent training yesterday from some on here.

Yesterday's lyrics were "Climb Every Mountain", Julie Andrews from the Sound of Music. No idea on today's, although I dare say that I should have.

What: may or may not
    Why: In one of those situations where I don't know whether I will benefit most from rest or a gentle 20 mins.

Most of the day I'm on builder watch (moving a solar panel, removing a chimney breast etc), and then I'm on cricket watch this evening with a T20 game at Old Trafford.

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Morning - and another bright and sunny one here.

A hot, hilly, windy and eventful day yesterday. We did have the spare inners postie but they weren't much use when my rear tyre exploded!

For the first 68.5 miles all was mostly uneventful apart from when Mark nearly wiped me out by missing a right turn at the bottom of a fast descent necessitating an emergency braking manoeuvre in which I felt the back wheel sliding towards the front on a patch of loose gravel, fortunately was able to hold it and make the turn up the hill but then tried to change down on the front too quickly and the chain came off and caught. Took a few greasy minutes to get it back on but then we were on our way. It was just after another right turn up a hill (there were a lot of hills - 1197m of climb in the first 68.5 miles) when a shot rang out (that's exactly what it sounded like) and my rear tyre went. Found a slit around an inch long in it so nothing we could do. I sent Mark on to finish his ride and resigned myself to a walk to the next aid station (a couple of miles away) and a lift home. Pushed for a mile and a half (not easy on the road in cycling shoes) and had lots of very nice men enquired as to whether I could use their assistance - unfortunately none of them were carrying a spare tyre image

I pushed for around a mile and half when the mechanic arrived with his van, I was all set to climb in when he told me that he had one spare tyre if I wanted it - well, I took that as a sign and couldn't refuse really could I? My dreams of a lift back and an ice cream were replaced with the prospect of another 30 something miles of heat, hills and wind. Then the mechanic couldn't get the new tyre on so drove me the half a mile to the aid station and enlisted the help of a couple of other men and between them they sorted it. So - another 33.75 miles, another 521m of climb and finally I found Mark waiting in the stable yard with a can of coke - heaven. A bit of a rush to get home, clean and changed to make the Indian on time but a lovely refuelling session it was. Mark said that he had a lovely birthday and I rode over a third longer than I had so far this year - and possibly last as I didn't train to go long last year.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • So.

What:                short, easy run and collect new bike
    Why:                 feel good to go/been talked into a TT bike
    Last hard:         yesterday wasn't easy.
    Last rest:          27/4

Lyrics - no.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • emzapemzap ✭✭✭

Good session and perseverance yesterday LMH!

• chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

top marks for tough marathoning for Dustin this WE image  

great speed once more by RFJ image  

brilliant cycling by LMH and kudos for persevering. Must have given you a warm glowy feeling to get on with it rather than leave some unfinished business behind.

Blisters: sorry your bike broke ... can you repair it? Nice long run yesterday! And good progress with the swim.

Brilliant mileage too postie and RFJ

Suprised to have scraped over 200 (202.7). It certainly doesn't feel like I've done that much lately ...

what: probably a rest day
    why: it's Monday
    last hard: strength training on Saturday
    last rest: 24/6
    lyrics: no

• More to catch up on.

• 1.2k swim, 2 mile run. Might spend 30 minutes sitting on the bike later....... and I might not.

LMH - well done for getting back into it after all the time pushing & pulling!!

Ale - "Builder Watch" Like it!!.

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

Paddy: builder watch involves making copious mugs of tea. And staying out of the way of the dust.  Thought you were taking it easy this week!

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭

well done LmH
    Ale - thats if they turn up...if its anything like the highway maintenance guys near here its a tues-thurs working week

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

Dustin: without speaking too soon, the builders have been here on time every day for the last month, on time and are ahead of where they should be.  Starting to get messy now as they start to knock through from the extension to the house. Another 5 or 6 weeks. Hope plumber and electrician are as good. Am using a one man outfit through a friend who is a roofer.Off for a walk in the drizzle...realisedy kit is currently sealed ina room!

• ale and paddy: Builder Watch ! image

Dustin; Sorry to hear they're taking so long.

LMH: Great session yesterday.

• Ale - that is an attempt at taking it easy - but, self confessed, I'm the worst "taperer" in the world. Might not do the 30 minutes cycle!!

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

Now on plumber watch! Removing a radiator before a wall is knocked down. Plus builders found a gas pipe. Looks like I'm tapering better than you Paddy (not that I'm tapering!)

• chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

hah, I just read those lyrics again and I know the tune image

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

I know the lyrics too...thanks to son, who I have just dropped off at a Travelodge: can't stay here tonight as two bedrooms are sealed off. He's seen this band a couple of times. And talking of sun, it is now shiny.

• emzapemzap ✭✭✭

Yes shiny here too, which was a problem for my 9km.  Was planning each K at 5:20, and managed, though by 5km I was so dehydrated that I didn't think I'd be able to finish the run.  Finished in 48 mins  though, so right on target.  Now to drink my weight in water...

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

Well done Emzap! Whilst there is sunshine it isn't particularly warm due to the breeze. Still undecided about watching cricket at 6.30: may watch it on TV instead!

• I resisted the Turbo!!. Opted for the rest option instead!! Very proud!!

• what:12.6 off road and up and down. stayed dry and a bit of run too image

why: seemed a good idea although pity the Postie who used to walk this route 3 times a week until they built the new road to Rhenigadal

last hard: see above

last rest: yesterday

sorry to hear about tyre LMH, but glad all worked out ok. That happened to me once - in Lochinver, just about as far from a cycle shop as you can get in the UK!
  • LMH, that was rather an impressive birthday weekend. A hundred savage miles on the bike, the excitement of the chase back to the yellow jersey, Now you're dreaming of a TT bike, and as if that wasn't enough you have still got the energy and legs to go out for a run today. You are a machine.

My front mech was all bent up, so I threw the bike in the car and lobbed it at the bike shop so it could get a service and some new parts if needed. It needed the service. I must ride it hard.