Ladies Bike Saddles - help me!!

I am sure this has been done before but any advice on a comfy saddle or not even comfy...just not excrutiating!!

I have tried a Charge Ladel, a hard men's racing bike saddle, a big, fat, padded saddle (terrible) and am currently managing for maybe an hour on a Specialized with cut out ladies saddle. Anything over an hour though and it starts hurting!

Any advice or suggestions please!

p.s - blokes - don't tell me what YOU find comfy...no ladybits, no opinion! I will, however, be interested to hear if your other half is happy with her seat!

Comments

• Saddles are very personal things, personally I have no problem a saddle that is meant to be a man's MTB saddle! I guess I'm lucky!

Have a look on this thread, see if there is anything helpful: http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/triathlon/how-do-you-prevent-a-massacre-in-your-lady-garden/131751.html

• You may find this thread useful image

There's a degree of getting used to it. I'm very happy with my Specialized saddle but after a break of about 3 weeks or more I suffer some discomfort after 30 mins, particularly when I get back on after a cake break or something.

edit: must learn to type quicker!

• The clothes I wear makes a huge difference. I can go much further in my  £10 bike shorts than I can my winter leggings. Both feel like they fit fine!

• You would also need to check that your bike is the right fit and that you have the correct angles for the saddle so that you are not on pressure points

I happily ride on a Charge Spoon and did not get on with the Adamo and such like

• you should give the Bike Whisperer a call. Just discovered them recently - they do full bike fitting and also offer advice I think. Scherrit seems very knowledgeable so I'm sure it would be worth booking a consultation if they can't advise you on the phone.

• Bontrager do a 28 day money back guarantee so you can ride their saddles for a while and see if they're comfy.

It does get better as you ride more - guess you TTFU to an extent - good bike shorts also help as does tilting the nose of the saddle down very slightly.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • HappychapHappychap ✭✭✭

And definitely no pants.  The more seams, the more discomfort.

• BB ✭✭✭

Some bike shops have test saddles so that you can try some out before buying. You put down a deposit and try it for a week .. might be worth a try ins etad of buying another that might not be right. Definitely worth thinking about what you are wearing too though ..

• agree that you make sure the postion and angel etc are correct,,

i ride all day on a planet x mens saddle no problems......

but them its an expensive game to try them all out so I go with the HTFU approachimage

trogs i am on my way out the door and so will not go and look at that threadf again or i will be here laughing all morningimage

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭
    Little M.iss Happy wrote (see)

Bontrager do a 28 day money back guarantee so you can ride their saddles for a while and see if they're comfy.

It does get better as you ride more - guess you TTFU to an extent - good bike shorts also help as does tilting the nose of the saddle down very slightly.

I found that just tilting the front of my saddle down a little made a LOT of difference.

• adamo ism - nothing like them - brilliant brilliant saddles.

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

I was going to try an Adamo, GA, but found that tipping my old Bontrager saddle a bit made all the difference.

• image  I honestly thought that there was something wrong with my anatomy given how difficult I found it to get a saddle that I could tolerate for more than 60 mins.  Found the Adamo and haven't looked back.  Just back from Ironman Austria and there were loads of Adamo's.   I even had an old one that I lent to a few folks and they all ended up buying one.

• GA - Thanks, I was about to buy a Sella Italia gel one but I'll now have a look at the Adamo one. I was supporting at Austria, I must have seen you in the park at one stage. I was wearing a pink Irongirl vest & shouting my head off. It was a fab experience! 

• The missus uses the adamo Typhoon, (a bit softer) rather than the Road - medium padding.

The tri specific ones seem a little hard.

I got mine from ebay, (£60 used) rather than £130 new.   However the company selling them were doing a buy / return if not happy deal.....

• I've got a typhoon on my road bike (it's super super comfy) but a prologue on my TT bike which did feel harder at first but has worked well in aero position. Certainly got me through the Ironman with no pain or numbness whatsoever. I did wear cycling shorts though rather than tri-shorts. But could easily get away with tri shorts on the typhoon and a more upright position.

• I'm dithering between a new saddle and a bike fit at the moment.

i've only had my road bike for 2 weeks but have literally been stopped in my tracks by the pain after 20 miles this weekend image

i was averaging 150 miles a week on my MTB previously without any problem.