Buying multiple pairs of the same shoe

YKWYKW ✭✭✭

Hello,

I started running in January. I had my gait analysed and directed towards the stability shoes. I over pronate. So Brooks Adrenaline GTS13 and £100 later I leave the shop.

Following the shoes - and for the next few weeks I had lots of pain in all areas - and feel the shoes changed my "running style" - I used to heel strike but without thinking about it - I think I land differently now.

In either case I have put on about 125 miles on those shoes now without issues (touch wood).

I have noticed that the shoes have dropped to £50 and I am thinking about buying a pair and leaving them in storage for 6-12 months before using it - but was not sure if this is a good idea or should I go and get re-analysed and buy another £100 pair of latest-and-greatest shoes

What does everyone think?

I shoud add that I am not sure whether I should try and "correct" my running form so I become bio-mechnically efficieint or just leave it be

Comments

• I buy shoes if they're the same version as one I'm used to and I know I'm happy in them. You've 6 months of experience so I'd have thought you'd know if those shoes worked for you or not - I'd probably take the risk ? You could always ebay them if they turn out wrong ?

I try and run a couple of pairs at the same time. I dont like to run one into the ground - you're more likely to get injuries that way.
  • I've done this for years. Bought my next pair last December. 

• YKWYKW ✭✭✭

Do you guys not worry about changes in running style. While the shoes I am using have been great - I am concerned as I am still only a beginner - and whether my gait will change as I get better at running?

• WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭

In the past I've gone to the running shop, got some shoes, used them until they're worn out ... then gone through the whole rigmarole again.

But I've been really happy with my latest shoes (Saucony Guide 5). So I have already bought another pair of the same model in a different colour. I'll start using the 'spare' pair when the current ones beging to wear out (which in my case is usually around 500 miles, preceded by odd twinges in my knees and legs!). I keep a spreadsheet of all my runs as well as on Fetch - so I have a record of the total miles done in the shoes which I can use to remind me when it's time to start using the new pair.

• Some shoe companies like to change their sizing every year which can be annoying.  just because one year's version may work for you doesn't mean next years will. Thus if you find a style that works for you best to stock up as they won't be available for ever.

• If they work for you and you're happy with them, then fill your boots.  

I run in Brooks Green silence, and always stock up on a couple of pairs whenever a shop is selling them off, which seems to be more and more now as they're being discontinued.

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    I like to stock up when I can as quite often the next years model of the same shoe is never quite the same.
  • For several pairs of shoes I went to the shop and went through the whole rigmarole to wind up with the same pair of shoes...  Last time I had a few niggles and was going to buy the same shoes online cheaper but for some reason went to the shop and surprisingly had gone from over-pronating to neutral!  This I believe is a result of taking up yoga and working on core strength and balance though.  If you are having no problems or niggles just buy the same pair online...

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

This thread has just reminded me to buy a spare pair of new balance 890 v3 while they're only £35. Thanks!

• Nose NowtNose Nowt ✭✭✭
    Elizabeth Dix 4 wrote (see)

If you are having no problems or niggles just buy the same pair online...

I would not be so definitive.

You can get some deals on line...but people often perceive "on-line" to be cheaper / more convenient than it actually is...  A lot of good marketing does this. And often people don't take full account of the fact that shoes DO vary a little bit, one pair to another (so trying them on is an advantage), delivery and return issues... even the increased risk of buying fakes.

I'd check out your local shop first (even by phone, if you know exactly what you want), and if they're the same price, or even a few quid more, then it's better to try them on and take them home, there and then.

Also, by supporting the local shop, you gain from retaining local expertise that you can rely on for the future.  (OK... if you save a fortune online, that's got to be considered... don't assume that there aren't good prices on your high street too.)

• YKWYKW ✭✭✭
    Run Wales wrote (see)
    Elizabeth Dix 4 wrote (see)

If you are having no problems or niggles just buy the same pair online...

I would not be so definitive.

You can get some deals on line...but people often perceive "on-line" to be cheaper / more convenient than it actually is...  A lot of good marketing does this. And often people don't take full account of the fact that shoes DO vary a little bit, one pair to another (so trying them on is an advantage), delivery and return issues... even the increased risk of buying fakes.

I'd check out your local shop first (even by phone, if you know exactly what you want), and if they're the same price, or even a few quid more, then it's better to try them on and take them home, there and then.

Also, by supporting the local shop, you gain from retaining local expertise that you can rely on for the future.  (OK... if you save a fortune online, that's got to be considered... don't assume that there aren't good prices on your high street too.)

I hear what you are saying - but :

£100 from the local retailer that I bought it from last time

£49.92 & FREE delivery with Amazon Prime, plus Free Returns.

• I always like to buy new shoes from a proper shop. After that though - same model - I am happy to buy online.

Watch out if they change the colours though - sometimes they change the shoe too.
  • Nose NowtNose Nowt ✭✭✭
    YKW wrote (see)

I hear what you are saying - but :

£100 from the local retailer that I bought it from last time

£49.92 & FREE delivery with Amazon Prime, plus Free Returns.

What was the price of the shoes on Amazon Prime at the time you bought them from your local shop?  That would be a fair comparison. My guess is that they weren't available. 

Many consumable items go down in price as their 'life' expires... and Amazon sellers often sell models that are either last-year's model (or about to become that).   Not that there's a problem with that... but again, it's part of that clever marketing - giving the impression that on-line is super cheap, when the reality is that you aren't comparing like with like.

Oh, and  don't forget you paid fifty quid to join Amazon Prime.

And if it matters to you, Amazon as a company rapes this country with tax avoidance, whilst the shop will play its part in maintaining a trhiving society and economy.

But, finally, I was pretty clear in saying that  if you "save" a few quid, then be careful and strongly consider the advantages of shop buying... but if you save loads, then it probably makes an on-line purchase sensible.

• DustinDustin ✭✭✭

been buying online for years.
    I run in asics 2000 series and buy up the older models when they are 'end of line' for between £40-£60, heck even got some Kayanos for £50 (retail £120+)
    these are from high street types (Sweatshop, Runners Need) as well as Start Fitness, who I have been buying from for 20+ years.
    There are one or two minor differences, but every year or so when I get my gait analysed, I have been broadly the same.
    I do use shops to try on new models (trail shoes mainly). Spikes are hugely cheap online: buy xc in summer, track in winter. My last 4 pairs all cost £10 (each).

• YKWYKW ✭✭✭

Thanks everyone for the responses. Very helpful.