Outlaw 2014

Comments

• The Silent Assassin wrote (see)

The Outlaw is a great event and if you don't have anything to compare it against it does stand up, but if you have done both and then compare events its no contest and before anyone asks why I went back this year, I wasn't going to race long at all this year but they open up late enteries and I couldn't resist, but am going back to IM next year.

wasn't going to race long? you were doing the double weren't you

• Flat Footed wrote (see)
    seren nos wrote (see)

but the southerners are full of NIMBY's.hence the trouble at Henley............so you won't get an Ironman distance race done near there,,,,,,,

but i always think nottingham is pretty easy to get to from London.....just up the M1 and you are there......probably as close to London as you are going to get

much easier than either of the Ironman venuesimage

er...we have the Midnight man by Dartford Bridge thank you very much.

And The Owler, and the 226, and Enduroman....
    You do have to get far enough away from London though, as there are so many people that live there (1/10th of the UK population, approximately, live in Greater London) that it is tricky to find room to park several hundred bikes...

• image there's always the ExCel - keeps them dry as well image

• but you will not get a major one near london..........and whilst you get a few idiots around the country......

The Henley locals have really made it such hard work in enough numbers to make the big challenge family give up.....

Bolton and wales both welcome the events as they want the influx of people.nearer London you will get more and more people who don't want their lives upset for a few hours.....

and i would argue Flyaway that the 226 and enduroman must be nearly as far from the M25 than nottinghamimage

another disadvantage of Outlaw is the fact its not closed roads...to me that one of the brilliant things about the proper ironman events......image

• Flat Footed wrote (see)
    The Silent Assassin wrote (see)

The Outlaw is a great event and if you don't have anything to compare it against it does stand up, but if you have done both and then compare events its no contest and before anyone asks why I went back this year, I wasn't going to race long at all this year but they open up late enteries and I couldn't resist, but am going back to IM next year.

wasn't going to race long? you were doing the double weren't you

At one point but then plans change all the time

• My first iron distance event is Henley in a week's time. I chose that as it is 15 miles away from home. Outlaw is planned to be my second. I like the idea of doing the full on branded IM event but am aware that I've not done anything iron distance yet. (I hadn't really planned on entering another event until after I'd done Henley but I am enjoying the level of fitness that I'm currently at and I'd like an incentive to keep it that way).

Anyway from all the NIMBY stuff this year I don't reckon they'll be a Henley next year (nothing but my thoughts, no factual basis or anything) and so I decided I'd do something else. I don't like abandoning the family and because Outlaw is in the school holiday next year we can go as a family, stay in our motorhome, the children can shout at me and we can all come home on the Monday - which we couldn't do if Outlaw was during term time - and that is the main reason for me doing Outlaw next year. If it turns out that this is the only time it runs in the school holidays I'd regret not doing it.

• No one has really mentioned the courses as being a reason to choose a race.

If I had not done an iron distance and read this part of the thread I would think we choose our races on how many people will clap us over the finish line rather then anything else as everyone has mentioned the finishers chute.

• flyaway wrote (see)
    GraemeK wrote (see)
    I love your comment about it's a long way to drive from the south, which is where a greater proportion of people live. People do exist outside the M25 you know, despite what the BBC would have you think.

I knew at least one person would bite.

Population of South and Eastern England: 32 million
    Population of the Midlands (east and west): 11 million
    Population of Northern England: 14.5 million
    Population of Scotland: 7 million

So Nottingham is "local" (in the grand scale of things) to 11 million people. 32 million (population of South and Eastern England, plus Scotland) have a long way to go (to be fair, the Scots have a long way to go to get anywhere, even in Scotland, and terrible roads to do it on). Even if the "average" northerner has to travel as far as the average Southerner, there are still more southerners. Sorry, but it's just demographics.
    I'm not saying southerners have any more right to anything, I'm just saying you often hear the argument that its easy to get to, but I think the demographics of tri suggest otherwise. The average salary for a triathlete (as in a member of the public who competes in Tri, not a pro) is £45,000 pa. The average household income for London/South England is considerably higher than for the rest of the country, and although the cost of living is also higher, this suggests that more triathletes live in the south.

Um I'm in east Anglia so I guess part of that 32 million? Outlaw was my closest long distance choice when I entered, we do now have The Anglian but until this summer outlaw was our closest choice.

My reasons were : ease of getting to, price and keeping family happy with camping etc , plus if you're trying something for the first time in my mind it was sensible to go for an easy course.

OK I failed but those were the reasons. 2015 current plan is sail with the pirate to Austria but we'll see as there's plenty of time between now and then. But I'm back at outlaw for the half next year, as I really enjoyed this year and compare results. image

• I might do Wales next year as my lad is moving to uni there. I am sure Seren will put me up for a few days image

• No problem apart from the fact that south wales is rather a big area and I am 2 hours drive from tenby image.over 100 miles awayimage

It really is a long way to drive for most of the country...but well worth itimage

• Bigger isn't always better either, at least not in the context of ironman distance tris.

I have done 3 (IMW, Outlaw and Ireman) and the smallest was my favourite.  That said I am going back to the Outlaw as I can't afford to go overseas at the moment, it fits in with school term times and I want a shot at going sub 11 if it isn't baking hot this year.

I will then look to more intersting rather than fast courses - Jurassic Man looked good.  

• For me it is because it's almost in my backyard and it is cheaper than the branded IMs.  And if I want a new bike or new wheels I cant at the moment justify speeding 1k plus on fees and accomodation for a nice IM race. 2015 that's another story...

• me and the OH have been at every Outlaw, either racing or marshalling, because

a, close to home so the oldies can come too!

b, the OH uses It to qualify for GB age group, does the job!

c. Nice and friendly

however, we do race abroad every year, (which is where we part with a lot of cash!) and have really enjoyed experiencing other events. Outlaw is a great race for a newbie but IMHO, go try another big event.

• Must admit that I really liked the Outlaw set up, it was my first IM distance but it compared well to the 70.3 and 5i50 series that I have raced previously and set the standard for race organisation and support.  The course was good and I look forward to going back again in 14 (in Pirate kit to boot).  Also having just forked out for IM Lanza the cost of the Outlaw is a real bonus in comparison, the IM races are a hefty chunk of disposable income. 

Out of interest how well put together is Challenge Henley in comparison?

• As far as I'm concerned, if you want to do it, do it.  The end image

• image blimey I never thought it was so big, It is a beautiful country though, son is going to Bangor Uni, lovely little place. 

• Flyaway ... I can tell you are ready to get back to training   image

I have done several IM races and I have done Outlaw and I have done Challenge

IM branded events in Europe have (in the main) the backing and support of locals, support is at times akin to VLM,  Challenge (Roth) was the same, full backing of the (European) locals,  Outlaw was an excellent race in the UK with excellent support from Pirates

I think it is more indicative of the general apathy of the majority of people in the UK when it comes to sport that isnt football    image

• Must say I agree with Meldy, the Pirate support at  the feedstations and parts of the course at outlaw was amazing, the support of the friends and family of the competitors in the HPP was great, but outside of that on most of the cycle route and most of the run there is not much local support. 

I will try another IM branded or iron distance event before doing the Outlaw again, just for the experiance but I'm going to be volunteering for the feedstation for sure.

• I think if people expect thousands of people lining the route of a 180k bike course they might be a little upset wherever they go and race.

• If i compare wales 2011 to Outlaw 2013 there was a massive difference.......in wales each village had people outr cheering and waving despite the rain..and even lots of individuals in their own front gardems doing it..........similar to switzerland........obviously nothing between villages.....

on outlaw I can't remmeber being cheered once on the bike course apart from the one point where they bussed supporters out toimage

but then on the enduroman there was nothing but horses and cows apart from the feedstation on each lap......

• Can someone put me on the full outlaw cheers these iPads are a complete alien species to me.cheers

question for all in long distance tri ie outlaw is it best to where a one piece or two piece tri suit. Daft I know but complete novice.

cheers

• Try taking a dump and make up your own mind.

• lol blisters,

two piece defo, think how long you can hold a pee for, then how long it takes to roll down a one piece or just tri shorts. Fingers crossed I've never needed a dump, god help me if I did and had a one piece on lol.

All comes with experience.

• This years outlaw is on ch 4 now folks.

• Just seen my wetsuit on the coverage kindly modelled by Tired Badgerimage

• Having watched this morning am now thinking seriously about the Outlaw Half, just depends on whether I can afford the travel.

• Shit, it's sold out already.

Back to the drawing board.

• Outlaw is available to watch again on 4OD if you missed it.