Outlaw 2014

Comments

• Oh meant to say well done to you all.  Magnificent efforts all round.

• A bit lengthy but I am still on a high from post race glucose overload.

Like Graeme, I was a first timer. I turned up on Saturday and put some faces to the names by speaking to anyone in yellow and black.

Swim. The swim went well. The water was lovely and warm, some weeds but not too bad and only a faint smell of goose crap. Not nearly as bad as I was expecting. The start was crowded without being as full contact as I expected so I quickly got in to my slow plodding rhythm. I remembered the advice I got from Ironholgs about following the little round buoys. I did it so well I headed 4 of them! Must learn to sight. I did 1:22 which was about what I was hoping for.

• Bike. After an uneventful 7:30 transition I got on my bike and got a puncture after 100 metres. I stopped right next to the Pirate supporters on the bank and took 12 minutes of faffing and swearing to fix it. Got back on my bike to a tremendous cheer from the crowd (I think I must have been blocking their view). I started the cycling conscious of the time lost and went out a bit too hard. The wind took its toll and my average speed came down from 19 mph to 17.5mph in the last 25 miles. I ended up with 6:40 which was okay as I aimed for 6:30 but obviously lost 12 minutes with the puncture.

• Run. The first 7 miles I felt great and plodded along doing 9 minute miles. Got to the feed station over the bridge and had a gel and some High5. I promptly threw it back up and then this was the tail of the rest of my run. Nothing stayed down so I stopped drinking and eating. It was then a case of walking and running. Walked and ran with Seren for a bit which motivated me to run a bit more. By 20 miles I was walking like a drunk and feeling sorry for myself when I was met by my wife and an ice cold bottle of coke. She forced me to have a few sips and told me to man up and get on with it as the kids were getting bored! For the next 2 laps of the lake she kept reappearing with the bottle of coke and words of encouragement (Obviously I know I should now be disqualified for outside help). I ran down the finishing chute with my 2 boys and finished in 13:44:02 which beats my 14hr target. The marshals, organisers and supporters were amazing. It is a day that will always live with me. Staying to the end to cheer the last ones home was also a great experience. Thanks to all the Pirate supporters and fellow Pirate competitors for the high 5s and cheers.

• Mrs SAMrs SA ✭✭✭

Well Done Ultra Kanga.  You did fab image  It was great to meet you and be part of the relay team.  I have still got your High 5 run bottle! image

• Rafiki wrote (see)

Just thought I's tidy the list up a little bit:

Relay

28 Meldy’s Misfits!!! Total: 11:06:49
    38 Trogs and Toucs book ending a guest cyclist Total: 11:17:59
    4 Abingdon and vale Tri Club S Williams/ A Issacs/E Carter (Black Hat) Total: 11:51:09
    15 Digger and the Divas Total: 11:59:32
    51 John/ Pudge/ UltraKazaaaghKanga Total: 12:07:55
    22 MC/Buttercup/MrsD TBC at Run 6/8
    61 Bookie/Cake/Dawn shadow TBC at Run 6/8

Ohh ........ were we the first Pirate team home then .......   image

I'm welling up image.  I've never won anything before image

• Your prize is two tickets to Nottinghams finest rave...which by chance is on at exactly the same weekend next year as the Outlaw is again, so no need for a tent (poles optional)

• M..o.useM..o.use ✭✭✭

I was chatting to someone at the race about that, FF. Apparently it was Nottingham Pride this weekend and possibly something to do with that. I hope the dates don't correspond again next year!

Report to follow, but in summary:

540 miles for a swim in a shit-filled pond, 2 nights in a tent (my mostest favouritest thing in the whole wide world ever), a borderline hangover, loss of voice and partial deafness.

Pirate on image

• M..o.use wrote (see)

I was chatting to someone at the race about that, FF. Apparently it was Nottingham Pride this weekend and possibly something to do with that. I hope the dates don't correspond again next year!

Well that's the fancy dress sorted then

• Just got home from a fantastic weekend, Pirates are amazing, it was great to catch up with the ones I know and meet new Pirate friends.

I'm so glad I finished and still had minutes to spare, sorry I missed the last few coming in, I was wandering round the food tent in a state of delirium, and then I followed someone into the massage tent where a teenager inflicted more pain on me before pointing me to the exit flap patting me on the arse and telling me I did well.

The organizers, volunteers, supporters and athletes made it a special weekend, and a day I'll never forget image

• brilliant weekend

felt a bit rough the end of last week with a slighty sore throat.....put it down to taper madness.....but saturday night I was awake most of the night coughing........my mother has had a nasty chest infection for the last 10 days.....although i haven't been ill all year seems like in taper I finally succumbed.......Nicko did suggest that I shouldn't start..but like all of us........I would give that advise but don't take itimage

couldn't breathe properly all day.discovered early on that If i tried argh the crowd or even talk i would have a coughing fit and bring up gunk.....

I could managed if i just breathed lightly with the top part of my lungs but couldn't exert myself of I would go into another coughing fit......

Even with this i managed  the swim 9 mins faster than last year and knocked a few minutes of T1.....

The bike was just a few minutes slower than last year but i couldn't push it at ll......

made it onto the run and still thought that my sub 13 was possible if I could run as I have been running really well recently and had 5 hrs to do the marathon......

set off and found i could run if I breathed lightly..but this only lasted for about 6 miles and I found that I was struggling to breathe when running at pace......

so had to reign to a lot of walking.,..........just to get my breathing and coughing under control......

decided to try and aim for my B target of sub 14.....kept on going and on the last lap out into town enjoyed an icecream ......then had some lager of cake before grabbing some cider off Supercaz as I started my last 3 mile run........

after going past Cougie and Mrs Cougies brilliant single handed support at the far end of the lake for the last time,,,,,,,I ran my way back to get my new PB....of 13:52...........

still gutted I haven't got the sub 13 I trained for and which i am convinced I can get.....

Pirates certainly rock....

The bad news for all was that after stopping exercise my breathing became better and I could talk again......( mind you laughing wasn't a good idea)

• I hope the weather's kinder than it is here right now. Drenched and distinctly ticked off right now!
  • Fantastic support from all the pirates, you really made my day yesterday!

swim: I got really nervous 10 mins before the start of the swim,I was shaking. I had decided to get in bay 3 and ended up in the middle of the bay. although the water smelt of goose poo it was lovely and warm (it did cross my mind that 1200 people where all peeing at once) once we were off it was a bit of a bun fight for about 400 m, then I found clear water. I got bopped on the head once, swam across a couple of times and hit one of the yellow markers. I managed to swim through quite a few people and on the way back, picked up my pace. I really enjoyed the swim. 1hr 12 mins

• Bike: I took my time getting sorted in t1, I wanted to make sure I would be comfortable. I got off to a reasonable start. It seem a bit congested heading out to the southern loop. it was great to get to the pirate feed station, the rest of the loop went by in a blur. I didn't enjoy the double roundabouts, a tad windy! The northern loop was either slogging into the wind or pushing the big gears, with the best bit being the 5km downhill into Southwell. The A617 was a mare and I was more than happy to turn left. Again back on the southern loop. I pits topped at the pirate feed station for the loo and got on my way. As I was riding through Radcliffe-on-Trent, I Got a flat on the rear, at 109 miles the air was blue. I started to change the tyre and some random local cyclist came over to watch (he stayed with me till I was back on the road) I got it sorted in minutes, thank god for co2! I got back to T1 in 6hrs 21 mins. I handed over the bike and asked them to lose it for at least a week! I ran, yes ran to transition.

• I have no idea why an old post of mine has re-appeared!  I'm really not going totally mad - well not yet.  image

• Mrs SA wrote (see)

Well Done Ultra Kanga.  You did fab image  It was great to meet you and be part of the relay team.  I have still got your High 5 run bottle! image

No probs.  I 'liberated' a few at the 10in10 so I've extras image

• GraemeKGraemeK ✭✭✭
    Some cracking efforts all round, Postie I was probably next to you mid bay 3, although you were a fair bit quicker
  • Run: I found my bags and got sorted for the run, . I went out to find the slappers, who did an excellent job of putting sun cream on. my plan was to run between the feed stations and walk through the feed station. I started off wondering if I could run and found that I wasn't too bad. I did the 1st loop of the lake and felt ok, I then got back to the Lincoln tri feed station and got some cuddles from them (I know most of them, I wasn't randomly sharing affection) I thought if I could run the out and back and another loop of the lake then I might think about walking. I ran on the grass where I could to take out some of the impact. I got back to the finish chute and it was like a wall of noise, just brilliant. I carried on running out to the bridge, thinking my tummy feels a bit dodgy. I managed to hold on till the TFN feed station, then I had to go, well..the world fell out of my bottom. I did feel a lot better after and decided to stay away from the gels and Jaffa cakes. I got back to the finish chute and was still feeling great. When I got back over to Lincoln tri, I needed a pee and was most upset that some supporter thought that she could use the loo before me whilst I waited for her, she got a short sharp tongue lashing from me. I must of made her feel really guilty, she stepped out of the way apologising. 

with only 2 laps of the lake to do, I knew I was going to finish, this spurred me on. I ran   thinking about how I would feel when I finished. Before long I had just one lap left and the enormity of the day started to sink in, I was over the moon that I had managed to run the whole way! When I saw the clock in the finish chute, I was so chuffed.

i crossed the finish in 12 hrs 7 mins

i even managed to get up the steps pretty quickly! On finding the OH, (who had also raced) to find that he hadn't had quite a good day and was feeling a bit rough. We decided it was best to get home. (which was just as well as I ended up with one foot in the bathroom all night with GI issues. (Too many gels)

I had a great recovery today, I was at work for 7am and have walked 10miles????

tummy is starting to feel better and have eaten chicken, pepperami, egg custard and chips this afternoon, random but yum!

the icing on the cake is that I have a trophy winging it's way to me, bargain.

going forward, I have another iron distance race in 7 weeks, challenge Almere(Amsterdam) and I feel really positive about it!

thank you all for making it a memorable day, its not a knitting club, that's for sure!

• Great reports all. I will stick mine up at some point. A great day at the office for me, sub 12 was my A target and smashed it with 13:34 overwhelmed really. The support on the course was brilliant, big thank you to the pirate feed station, brilliant as usual.Great  work everyoneimage

• GraemeKGraemeK ✭✭✭
    Is the Almere race as well organised and supported as Outlaw Postie? I'm temptes for next year. I lived in Almere for a few years when the finish was at Almere Haven,a few hundred metres from my flat.
  • mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭

brilliant day, absolutely loved being part of a relay team, meant I could participate, support and generally have a great time. Loved meeting some pirates I hadn't met before, and seeing some again that I have met. Specially SA, MrsSA and Jordy who I spent most of the morning with after the swim

report for my bit:

outlaw swim: got there about 5am, feeling fine, but normal pre-race nerves meant a couple of loo visits before getting into my wetsuit. Luckily found buttercup before the race start, and red dog chris. Hug from buttercup, and waddled to the water with chris, said out good lucks and got into different pens. I went into the slow pen, at the back, felt a bit emotional as they counted down to the start. Waited till there was a bit of clear water - didn't want to get caught up in the washing machine. Started off but the water was really manky and smelling of poo, dark and horrible. Negative thoughts crept in and I had to give myself a bit of a talking to, realised I hadn't started my garmin at the beginning so shrugged and started it. I was worried about getting cramp so mixed up breast stroke and crawl a bit to start with. Took me ages to get a ryhthm going, but then felt good and finally reached the end of the damn lake, round the bouys and back, really into my stroke now. Some bad weed patches on the way back, but finally got out, helped by some nice RAF boysimage. poor buttercup was the last relay cyclist waitingimage

A bit annoyed at my time, but it was my first IM swim, first mass start, proud that I did it.

Now wondering what buttercup and MrsD are planning for next July....

• What a great weekend image

Rafiki wrote (see)

Just thought I's tidy the list up a little bit:

Relay

28 Meldy’s Misfits!!! Total: 11:06:49
    38 Trogs and Toucs book ending a guest cyclist Total: 11:17:59
    4 Abingdon and vale Tri Club S Williams/ A Issacs/E Carter (Black Hat) Total: 11:51:09
    15 Digger and the Divas Total: 11:59:32
    51 John/ Pudge/ UltraKazaaaghKanga Total: 12:07:55
    22 MC/Buttercup/MrsD TBC at Run 6/8
    61 Bookie/Cake/Dawn shadow TBC at Run 6/8

Ohh ........ were we the first Pirate team home then .......   image

I could argue that as team 38 ended up being a 2 person team, with Toucs doing the bike and the run, their 11:17:59 was a better effort image

• BluePeter wrote (see)

sub 12 was my A target and smashed it with 13:34 

Err? image

• Thought I'd give this forum malarkey a try! Had a fantastic time at outlaw. It was nice to meet everyone. I can see why the pirates have such a reputation. I've pre-registered for next year. Nothing like peer pressure eh Flat Footed?!!
  • Look what the cat has dragged in

• You being the cat FF!!
  • Fantastic day - long day - tired today!

So my bit:

Got to HPP on Saturday to camp with the lovely SuperCaz.  Racked the bike - suffered from bike envy and thought mine didn't look expensive enough to be racked with all the kit on display image

Very early start - thanks to the doof doof music coming from HPP but that was fine cause it meant I got to have the showers all to myself.  Banana sandwiches and water with a fizzy tab for brekkie and I was on my way to sort the bike out.  I was pumping my tires up and heard a massive bang - some unfortunate person managed to pop his tyre while pumping it up.  Took my kit back to the campsite then went in search of MC and had a natter during which rang Mrs D to see where she was - no answer so I left a message - the phone rang back when I was putting my race numbers on so MC answered it - turns out the number I had for Mrs D wasn't right and there was a grumpy person on the other end *awkward!

Got MC to the start line and went to hang out with the Diggers and watch the swim start.  Then realised I'd not put the gels in my back pocket so went back to campsite to find them - luckily for me there was time!  Waiting in transition the pirate relay teams hung out at the back of the group like the naughty kids in the class image after a bit of banter with the event MC the swimmers started coming in - which was fun.  Felt bad for the girl who came flying out of the changing sheds and into the bike bit and slipped over landing hard on her hip - looked painful.

• After a wet hug MC handed the chip over and I got the biggest cheers from Jordy and Q much appreciated!! And I was off - I will admit to being a bit worried about the bike after the Half fiasco so I had avoided taking on too much sugary stuff before the race and tried to limit the amount of gels and high five 4:1 I took on, eating mostly real food on the day.  Which worked nicely for the most part.  

The bike itself I wanted to be doing 25k for the first half and increase the speed in the second half - it didn't work out that way.  I need to set the watch to tell me what my actual speed Im doing instead of the average as it said I was doing 26kph but in reality looking back I was doing 25-33kph over the first loop and heading up to Southwell - I was very keen to get to Southwell before the cutoff!  After that I clearly slowed down.  There were quite a few upgrinds or up-flats image which are a bit killer - much prefer a short sharp climb.  Loved the down hills got some speed up which I enjoyed.  The Northern loop was a bit lonely didn't see many people.  Loved seeing the Pirate station twice - best loo stops ever!  I took on enough water to flood a bigger person!  Apparently I needed it - I got a massive headache at about 80k so every bump I went over was a bit not fun - but I was a pirate on a mission so I just MTFU and focussed on getting home. Saw a pirate collected in a hedge when I came round a corner - I knew I was chasing cutoffs but Im not someone who passes someone in need so I stopped and asked if he was okay and if he needed any help but he said he was okay, he was checking his front wheel and the marshall was coming down the road so I left him to it and carried on with the mission!

I got to about 168km and the marshall was like there's only 8miles to go you're almost home and I was like that's 12 k - I can do 8.5km in 18-19mins when I bike to the train station I can get there within the cutoff! So I swallowed my caffeinated gel (my tummy objected but I ignored it and swallowed anyway followed by copious amounts of water) and put foot to the floor so to speak.  I knew there was a hill in-between me and the finish line so I just went as fast as I could - saw one lady climbing in front of me - I managed to catch her when I was almost at the top telling come on darling 6k to go! I got a positive grunt image and then it was down hill home and I flew into Radcliffe on Trent and into HPP - jumped off the bike, giving it to the helper and I realised I hadn't stopped the Garmin so asked the helper to do so - he was golden image yayay marshals love them. 

And there was Mrs D in all her glory waiting to give me the biggest hug ever!  Loved it - tried to multitask and take the chip off at the same time didn't really work - the barrier that I was leaning on moved and gave the other marshall a fright.

7:55:41 inside the cutoff by 10 mins image was worried about the body and about the bike (after the Dambusters debacle) but it turned out all good on the day.  Just need to go a bit faster image 

• The marathon that was so much more!

Having done 150+ marathons it gets harder to find something a little different but I’ve made a real effort this year to start doing that – first marathons in the US, several new European marathons, my first 24 hour race and taking the opportunity to be part of a team plus getting as close as I’m likely to do to doing a tri! image

The whole Outlaw experience has been amazing – right from the point when we entered through to the weekend itself.  My last experience of being involved in a triathlon was being Mouse’s Sherpa at IMDE back in 2010 but even that didn’t really prepare me for the sensory overload I felt on Saturday when I first hit the lake.  So many people, so many different elements, so much to see/do/remember!  I can’t remember the last time I was so nervous about a single marathon! image

Yesterday morning it was over to the lake with everyone to see Mrs SA and everyone else off on the swim.  Then it was bacon buttie and a cuppa time before dropping Pudge down at transition and off to the hill to watch the swimmers come in and see the Pirates off on the bike.  After that it was back to camp for the very odd experience of finding things to do while waiting to go back to transition.  Not knowing when to start preparing to run was as hard as I expected and somehow not something I want to do too often! 

As expected, Pudge bossed the bike and time soon came for me to head out on the run.  Now I have to say that I didn’t hugely enjoy the run – it was too hot for me and I didn’t overly like the course.  That said, I still loved it.  Seeing the other Pirates out and about on the route and the ever growing Pirate support squad at the finish really lifted the spirits and everything that’s been said about the reaction that Pirate kit gets from supporters proved true.  The enthusiasm to reply in true Pirate fashion as the wheels began to fall off certainly waned but I tried my best!!  I wish I’d been able to hold it together a bit more for Team TBC and get a better time but it wasn’t to be.  Finishing with my team-mates though was really very special and huge fun!

After that came the madness that is supporting at the finish line as the evening wears on.  I remember it from the two IMs I was at but this was so much more full on – or maybe that was just the gin beginning to kick in! image

All in all a really wonderful weekend.  It was great to catch up with old friends as well as make new ones.

See you all next year  image – if not before