Long run

All

I am looking at a half marathon in March 2014.

At the moment I am running 5 miles midweek but my problem and question is how far should my long run be given that.

I have so far over last 3 weeks done 8.34, 12.88 and then 12. Is this to far given my midweek runs?

Is there some kind of guidelines ? ie long runs should be x% over the midweek runs?

Comments

• Well you need to be used to running the half marathon distance.

You would do better to make the mid week run a bit longer rather than cut back on your long run.
  • If you have run a couple of twelve milers without getting injured then I think you will be fine. I have never found rules about how long a run should be as a percentage of your weekly milage especially helpful. Too much depends on other facotrs like pace, general levels of fitness, running form, other injuries etc etc.

I usually run 5-6 miles 3 times during the week and then 25+ miles on saturday and 10+ on sunday depending on what I feel like doing.

If you are already running 12 miles on your long run then you can clearly get around 13.1 miles - with 10 months more running to go I assume you will be focusing on pace rather than distance?

• Herbi

Yes I think so when I done my 12.88 was only going out for 9 but missed my turn round point so had to carry on to next landmark (as I don't have a garmin and measure routes on map) as I live in Scotland running is on fairly quiet roads so next mapped landmark was another few miles on !!

However, glad I done it as I now have the confidence that I can do the distance - so yes pace is the next step. I am making a comeback after about 5 years of not doing much. My race is in March/April 2014 and would love under 2 hours (PB of 1.35 many moons ago) Then have another in October (Great Scottish run)

• I missed that the race was in March.

That's a mighty long time to train. Can you not race something sooner to keep the interest up ? 36 weeks is twice as long as a typical marathon training plan.
  • Could you perhaps do the Great Scottish run this October? You have plenty of time to train for that.

If you don't want to enter any races until next March then I would just focus on running for enjoyment until January otherwise you risk burn out.

• Herbi

I had thought about it. I used to run a lot (hence the name which was my marathon goal) I have a half PB of 1.35 and a 3:42 marathon. I stopped running "seriously" around 5 years ago and am just getting back into it over last 3 months. With last two months being 70 and 90 miles months

I hope anyone reading this doesn't take offence but I don't want to attempt a half and flounder about finishing in 2:20 or so, everyone has their own goals and I want to get round in under 2

I had thought about my local half in August but I really wouldn't feel confident as yet. My race is a way off but want to build up slowly again and be really ready come March

My real ambition is to do another marathon but again would want to get sub 4, have applied for London 2014 but if I get in will defer to 2015. If I don't get in 2015 Edinburgh is a possibility

• I don't know why Herbfit mentioned burnout when he runs 35 miles over a weekend.  Most people run 52 weeks a year.

Anyway use the period now to run park runs and 10ks.   Plenty of easy bills and redevelop you aerobic base

• I think it's too long a time to train focussing on one race.

I'd rather have shorter term intermediate goals to aim for along the way.

Tick them off and it will help keep up the enthusiasm.

Running all that time for one race is too long a period to keep motivated. I think that's what was meant by burnout.
  • Ah   Sorry.   Target some 10ks then.  From this you have a good indication of your time for the 1/2 marathon.

• Hi Spen

I was thinking the same as Cougie - I would worry that training for one event for 10 months would lead to burn out. Running and training are not quite the same thing. I run 52 weeks a year, I don't train image I Should have been clearer.

I can see what you mean and I also think some 10K events might be a good idea to break your training up into chunks (Periodisation - is that the right buzz word?).

I would still be tempted to enter a half marathon in the Autumn even if you see it as part of your training. If you enter a cheap trail run (they tend to be cheaper) you could just pull out if you don't feel ready for it.

If you are determined to stick to a 10 month training period then make sure you build in pleanty of down weeks - perhaps 3 weeks of building and training and then 1 week of easy runs/rest/cross training.

I hope you stick around, I would be very interested in hearing how you get on. You don't have a blog I suppose?