Where do you start

Help I'm the wrong side of 45 and have started triathlons and what to get ready for a possible iron distance may be next year. Any suggestions for training and nutrition . I have the l plates on and have done one club sprint event.

all help greet fully accepted.

Comments

• Start with don fink iron fit book look to see if you can fit in the training image

• swim a bit, bike a lot, run a bit.....drink masses 

you've done more than I had when I entered my first IM 

• I'd suggest reading some of the more recent threads in here. 

There has been a lot of good advice given on The Outlaw threads. image

• I'm with Dave on the training. If I'd read any of the training manuals I'd not have had the time to train.

Have you read any of Andy Holgates Ironman books ?
  • reading them at the moment his mention of the pirates appeals people who can't take it seriously is me all over 47 and as coordinated as a drunk octopus will have to find out if they will let me run in shorter races in the colours.

• Red_dog_chris wrote (see)

Start with don fink iron fit book look to see if you can fit in the training image

Im not a fan of Fink ... but "Going Long" is worth a read 

And yep ... Swim a bit, run a bit and Bike a lot image

• Dave The Ex- Spartan wrote (see)

swim a bit, bike a lot, run a bit.....drink masses 

you've done more than I had when I entered my first IM 

I came into Tri from cycling, furthest I'd run was a half, and I couldn't front crawl... 

Did my first Tri/IM at Notts Outlaw 2 weekends ago - I'll just reiterate, swim a bit, bike a lot, run in the inbetweens image

• Oh expect things to hurt for around 3-4 weeks later!!

• It's a long time until next years Ironmans so I would suggest not getting too structured too soon or you will get royally fed up of it before next summer.

For the next few months just try to do something at least 4 to 5 days a week and ideally 6 days. Doesn't have to be a lot initially but get used to very regular training. 

Take care when ramping up the running as this has by far the greatest risk of injury, so don't increase by more than 10% a week.  Don't train through injuries as you will end up losing much more training in the long run.

Make training part of your everyday life for the long term rather than a project.

• I got bored with the "Going Long" book. Far too technical.

Think: What's your weakest discipline?

You've got to be able to bike 112 miles and feel good at the end. If you can cycle 20 miles and feel good at the end now, that's a starting point.
    Can you swim? If you can do 25 to 50m now, you'll need to work on that with a teacher. There's a minimum 2 sessions a week (preferably 3 at the start). After a surprisingly short time something clicks. Zero to hero in 1 year, no worries.
    What's your marathon pb? Or are you really starting by jogging around the block?
    Zero to marathon can be done in 6 months, but a year is safer, allowing for inevitable injuries. Anyway, I'm told that most people walk at least half of an ironman marathon.

Age is no barrier, only mental defeatism. I'm training for my first IM in 8 weeks time. I'll be 52 then.

• Thankyou swimming is the weakest done first marathon this year and started cycling to work about 120 miles a week so it's in the pot just needs a bit of direction