Minimum to get round an Ironman

Just curious, what is the lowest amount of training you can get away with to get round an Ironman?  I'm thinking comfortable enough to feel confident that you'll do it, but not necessarily by much.

No real reason for asking, just curious.  Personal success stories of woeful undertraining would be cool image

Comments

• Why would anyone deliberately train to almost fail ? 

• Surely this depends on you, levels of fitness, natural ability, age, weight, previous experience etc.

But do agree with Dave, can't see why someone would take the chance on going in undercooked.

• Fail to prepare, prepare to fail or the 6 P,s Prior Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance

But to answer your question 3 hours 35 minutes 16 seconds a weekimage

• I'll be perfectly honest, I haven't trained the hours that most seem to do, but I do at least one long hard session of each discipline a week with plenty of recovery. This works for me although I understand that most people like to plod the miles out every night at a steady pace.

buthave am lucky enough to have been relatively fit before I started so I wouldn't suggest this method to the absolute beginner as it may lead to injury.

hope that helps image

• Ian MIan M ✭✭✭
    Dave The Ex- Spartan wrote (see)

Why would anyone deliberately train to almost fail ? 

More interesting init.
    Knowing you've done enough training means that an ironman's just going to be an exercise in suffering with a known outcome. Sure, you could do some more training then you could finish a bit quicker, but you can do that at any length race, so just a pretty pointless exercise in extended suffering.
    At least if you haven't done the normally prescibed training, then you've you've got some added excitement on the day of not knowing if you can do it.

• Errr I've never suffered during any of my IM's 

• no training = even more extendedperiod of extended suffering before missing cut off.

however i got through this year doing 2 IMs on a total of 30 easy 5 k runs over 15 weeks.

however however i am doing silly bike training, and have a good running base from previous years......  so i am infact doing loads of training image 

• I met someone at an openwater swimming course who had entered AlpeD'Huez tri (alledgedly) six weeks before it ran after a drunken night out with mates. That would be an interesting result to see (he is/was a rugby player so will have reasonable base fitness).

I thought I had done a pitiful amount of training fro outlaw, I had as far as runnign was concerned, but done enough to get by with the swim and the bike. I' MUCH rather do more training and suffer for less than end up having to drag myself round a 26 mile walk again!

If you can get through the swim and bike cutoffs then you should be able to complete the marathon by walking. In theory you could do no run training and prepare to walk, slowly and painfully. I reckon it would all be a matter of mental strength then, it takes a lot to be out for 17 hours!

• The minimum is obviously zero if your starting point is a knocking out 150 mile sportifs or 10k swims every other weekend.  It's not zero if your starting point is flicking through channels, beer and fags in hand, and you come to the Outlaw coverage and manage to blurt out between mouthfuls of doughnut: 'that lardy bloke in the yellow and black gimp suit makes it look easy, if he can do it so can I'.

• I do a 20 week training program

Last year because of "other stuff" I only managed to get 124hrs training in during those 20weeks .. which is about 50% of my target ... 

... Result was a vey slow Outlaw (14:38) image

In 2011 I managed to get closer to my target by doing 228hrs trainng ...

... Result a IM PB at Regensburg (12:57) image

I know hours training is only a guide and qulaity needs to be considered but all things being equal its as good as guide as any ... I also have been at this for a few years so have reasonable base fitness

PS my training plan is for 258hrs in the 20 weeks ... which is probably still quite light compared to some ... but this considers I work away from home and have to spend 2 days each week traveling and when Im hoime on a weekend, i cant do much training as it is family time  

• no  run training at all is how I do it, mostly as the knee swells horribly and all training stops. However this means lots of swim and bike work and then a difficult run/walk for 26 miles for just under 15 hours. But why would you want to just get round, if the weather is challenging you will miss the cut off!!!  Aim high both in your ironman aspirations and your trainingimage

• M..o.useM..o.use ✭✭✭

Morning Stan errr I mean Citizen. 

• How much depends on so many things its hard to be definitive.  I knew someone who completed the first Ironman Wales (his first Ironman) in a pretty reasonable time who never rode more than 50 miles, he wasnt even a regular runner but was one of these people that seems to adapt well to anything.

The opposite to that is there are people who train for hours and hours but sometimes are going to stuggle.

Personally ive finished Ironman races on limited training but thats on the basis im a confident swimmer and dont struggle with cut-offs, I tend to concentrate on the bike which really is the key discipline.  It also gets easier the more races you do you do as youve a core endurance to build on.  Where I struggle is running, ive a number of recurring niggles that prevent me from getting decent run mileage in.

This year for Lanzarote in the 4 months Jan - end April I probably averaged 5 hours a week with a 7-8 week block averaging 9 hours a week over the last two months. 4-5 60+ mile rides, 3-4 swims, and negligible running, most of my training was snatched spin sessions (inc many doubles) before and after work.

The above wasnt by choice just so busy with work.

• There is a lot to be said for experience, most people worry about the enormity of an Ironman or things that are outside their control.  When youve done a few events you know what youll feel like at 70 miles on the bike, what x pace feels like and what you can maintain.  Good pacing, nutrition and a positive mental approach can count for as much as training.

• AliBear30AliBear30 ✭✭✭

Actual Swim       Bike          Run    

Base  16:00:00   28:45:00    20:37:00
    Build  23:30:00   45:22:56   26:19:08  
    Peak
      26:58:00   65:52:00  40:36:00
    Totals 66:28:00  139:59:56 87:32:08 
    Grand Total 294:00:04    

I did this and failed

• Sorry to hear that. So 300 hours might do it ?
  • AliBear30AliBear30 ✭✭✭

Perhaps the Fink intermediate asked for a total of 317:45:00  so around that?

But that's pure guess work, also if you swam/biked/ran quicker you'd get more done in the time so might then need to do less time in total?

• Training is Performance Enhancing and therefore cheating...just turn up and race image

• fat buddhafat buddha ✭✭✭

I'm going to express an opinion here that may not go down well

there are some wannabee Ironman who, given any amount of training, will not complete one - they just don't have either the physical or psychological ability to do so - unless they dramatically change their approach

the problem is that many of these people cannot see this, and tough love isn't dispensed to them, so they carry on in their own sweet ways taking platitudes from others and are doomed to fail

and sorry - but anyone who needs to ask what is the minimum needed (maybe even out of curiosity) is on the wrong wavelength to start.  

• FB- you're wrong mate.  I asked the question and I know 100% that if I train for it, I can do an Ironman.

I just wondered is all.

• Faithsdaddy wrote (see)

FB- you're wrong mate.  I asked the question and I know 100% that if I train for it, I can do an Ironman.

I just wondered is all.

Nah... You are already plotting your excuses image

• AliBear30AliBear30 ✭✭✭

FB must have a point. After all

1. If it was easy everyone would do it
    2. It's not a knitting club

• Dave The Ex- Spartan wrote (see)

Nah... You are already plotting your excuses image

Ah you got me.  I should have set the title as 'Best excuses for not completing an Ironman'.

How about, it's been too hot to train?

FD - asking shows there are doubts - that is all.

But my other points are still valid and aren't necessarily pointed at you and as I have no idea of your "pedigree" I can't pass comment on that.

• fat buddha wrote (see)

But my other points are still valid and aren't necessarily pointed at you and as I have no idea of your "pedigree" I can't pass comment on that.

Not much triathlon background- just a super sprint back in May. You know what it's like- underneath all the 'oh no, I couldn't possibly do it', really really, we all have at least a rough idea of what we can do.

FWIW, I wouldn't attempt one until I can put in the training and do myself justice.  I really don't want a 17 hour suffer fest.

• See you have doubts.   Now man up and get on with it 

• Dave
    Have you ever thought of becoming a mentor or failing that a counsellor? image

Faithsdaddy wrote (see)
    fat buddha wrote (see)

Not much triathlon background- just a super sprint back in May. You know what it's like- underneath all the 'oh no, I couldn't possibly do it', really really, we all have at least a rough idea of what we can do.

FWIW, I wouldn't attempt one until I can put in the training and do myself justice.  I really don't want a 17 hour suffer fest.

and that sadly is where a lot of people are deluded - they really have no idea of their ability, or lack thereof.  they see X friend doing one and think - if they can do it, then so can I - sadly that principle doesn't hold for an IM.  

it needs a recognition that an IM is fucking hard work; some are more gifted than others; many are more committed than others; and being a wannabee is not the way to approach it.

• Marriage Guidance being my preferred field