Options

GNR 2002

2»

Comments

• Options
    Oldtime - you have it one there – something for the masses

If someone’s only priority is to run a PB, I suggest they find another race – The GNR is (for most people) just about enjoying the day and out of the 47000 or so that entered I’d say most of them did that.
  • Options
    hear hear will
  • Options
    Really started something here with what was not intended to be a whine! I am never going to break any records and depite running in a number of 10K runs, the bLaydon race etc simply run for fun with a diet of training based around playing squash and football as well as running. I found however upon returning to the GNR after missing 7 years it simply wasn't fun. My wife who got the job of collecting me and a friend from South Shield was even morefeb up. For a North East half marathon without the masses enter the Morpeth to Newcastle in January but don't expect sunshine!
  • Options
    John, sorry you didnt enjoy it
    After running nearly a half of the Cardiff marathon solo, with no support at all and under time pressure, i really appreciated the crowds at the GNR, even if they didi get in the way or shoved me out of the way
    Maybe we should swap races next year
    Have more fun with your next half
  • Options
    John. Did you enjoy the Blaydon run - I thought it was good with a very laid back atmosphere...I have never done the Morpeth to Newcastle run as I heard it was a very tough one...Did it not be longer than a half marathon...I seem to think it was 16 miles or so !! ( I'm getting to old for very hard runs !! )
    Your first post made a few of reach for the keyboards and promoted some good discussion...and isn't that what all these forums are for ?? C'mon on John - I would still like to see you at the GNR next year
  • Options
    All I can say is that I thoroughly enjoyed the day. That was the 4th consecutive year I've done the race and I'm already looking forward to next year (although my legs aren't telling me that at the minute).

It was a truly fantatsic day and I also reccommend the Bladon Race to people - its a 5.7 mile race from Newcastle to Blaydon along the route described in the famous song. http://www.blaydonrace.freeserve.co.uk/

I dare say that this years GNR was the best yet - everything made the day great - in previuos years I've gone straight home in the car and never had too much to argue about as far as traffic goes, this year we headed for the ferry and stopped for a couple of drinks in the pub next to the ferry terminal, sat outside with other runners and all agreed it was a fantastic occassion. Its not just the runners and organisers who make it such a cracking day, its the crowds along the route - especially the people on John Reid Road (9.5 mile - 12 mile) - when you are struggling to keep going, it is those people (and fellow runners) who deliver that much needed "keep going, not far left, get ya head up" and quite often that alone puts a smile back on your face and wills you on. I personally had a brilliant day and feel sorry for the people who have whinged on about it - if you don't like it, don't do it, the race itself is better off without you! In the end, for the majority of people it is a FUN run.
  • Options
    Oldtimer,

The Morpeth to Newcastle used to be a 14.1 miler on New Years Day, this year they put it back a few weeks and the next one is on January 12th. It has been reduced to a half marathon. It isn't an easy race because most of the run is up the A1, very tedious with the same scenery!
  • Options
    it was the biscuit tins on John Reid road that left a lump in my throat
  • Options
    Hi John, I am sorry that you did not enjoy the day. Like Benz I ran the Benidorm marathon which had a 5 hour time limit that I was struggling to make, virtually on my own after the first mile with only spectators in the first few miles and it was lonely and at times I felt like giving up. AT the GNR I liked having lots of other runners around me all the time with no pressure to make a finish time. On the other hand my other half hated it.
  • Options
    I'm probably going to have a go at the Morpeth to Newcastle in Jan. Never done it before, but have applied for London & thought it would be good motivation until I find out if I'm in FLM. I did the Blaydon Race 1st time this year, really good run. I'll also be back for my 8th GNR next year, even though I did have a bit of a moan, I wouldn't miss it.