Options

Salford Rowing Triathlon

Comments

• Options
    I'm a rower and I use setting 4 sometimes a 5 but very seldom.

I've just done 90 minutes on the damn thing for the first time at 18 strokes a minute.

I'm in two minds now about the rowing part of it, do I knock out a steady 24 strokes a minute or crank up the rating and go for the same time thus saving my legs a little (as more strokes for the same time and distance) but will get breathless.

I convinced someone at work to take part as well ;)
  • Options
    90 minutes ? Good grief ! My bum gets sore after 10, and I'm used to narrow bike saddles !
  • Options
    I'm up to about 60/65 minutes before I start figiting (no idea how to spell that) moving around on the seat anyway. Beyond 80 minutes last night was new territory and not great territory at that

Completed 22813m (average of 1.58.4 per 500m) well beyond the necessary 3000m
  • Options
    Erm, yeah. Slightly over the 3km.

Did you miss the turning point or something ? ;-)
  • Options
    Didn't you get bored Rob? I'm fine training outside, but I lose interest after about 30 minutes on any indoor exercise equipment, (except when being bullied in spin). I think my hands would be bleeding after 90 minutes anyway, the blisters are sore enough after a few 3k rows.

I think I'm going to have to experiment with different settings & stroke rates next time, see if I can find some sort of optimum speed/effort - this ergo rowing is more technical than I expected...

Jane
  • Options
    Yeah I get pretty bored, when doing long pieces (over 30 minutes) i put the screen down and follow the heart rate. If there is someone to talk to that is fine like last nights session I was talking about various things.

There is certainly nothing fasinating about a white wall getting closer and further away again :)
  • Options
    I was having a read through some of the entries last night, some nutter has put down 9.20 for the rowing part - THAT IS FAST - not sure they'll be able to walk afterwards if they can do that pace.

Wasn't you was it Cougie? :)

my body aches today - did weights yesterday
  • Options
    9.20 ?

You sure that wasn't just the time he wanted to start ?

OOooof !
  • Options
    Talking of start times, has anyone received theirs yet?

Jane
  • Options
    they're sifting through them all now,

still gob smacked at the 9.20

• Options
    A Mr Redgrave was it ?

220 Mag are running a 3km Concept II challenge - you just send in your best times for the 3k. I think 9.20 would put this guy (?) up at the top.
  • Options
    Ergo settings, people are mentioning 4 or 5, is that not abit low?

I was using much higher 8 and 9 actually thought it was easier, by which I mean I was quicker. That said still looking at 14 mins best.

Must get my entry in, though don't want an early start as I'll be comming from Sheffield.
  • Options
    Put a fast time down then :) They'll probably faster people off at the back (just guessing here)

I use 4/5 or a Drag factor of 135. If the machine is old, worn or just dirty without much maintenance you might find 8/9 is the same drag factor. If I use the old ones in the gym and not at the club I use setting 7 on one of them and 9 on another.

To test the drag reset the clock and press the ok and rest button at the same time. This will bring up the drag in the lower right corner, take a couple of big pulls and there you go it'll be displayed. Find which drag factor you like by playing around and then it shouldn't matter what machine you use you can use the same drag factor on all of them

Do entries close on Friday?

• Options
    Damn, if I understand that correctly, the 8 or 9 I've been using is somewhat easier than it ought to be and I ought to be looking at a even slower time ;-(
  • Options
    I don't think that'll be the case. The drag factor is completly individual.

I find I go faster when I have a drag factor of 135, someone else i know uses 150 as he finds he goes faster with that/

It all depends on your strength , technique etc...

Just find the drag factor you like on the gym machine you use. Then you can transfer that to any machine you jump on.

you're lucky the rowing is only 12-15 minutes of it. I'd prefer 7.5k row 7.5 k bike - I'm useless on a bike :)

Introduce your self on the day, that goes for everyone. It'll be good to put some faces to names and that

• Options
    And as for easier? I don't think there is an easy way of getting that clock to 0m, no downhill sections on a machine :)
  • Options
    Blimey - no-one ever mentioned drag to me.
    This is more like a mystical art ! ;-)

Be glad to get the row over with ! ;-)
  • Options
    This drag factor sounds a bit fiddly.
    Will we get a chance for a warm-up row, to get the settings sorted?
    Jonathan
  • Options
    Squeezed 2k row in last night between abs & spin classes. Tried the 1st km on 4, and found it very difficult to keep the pace under 2:20 (/500m), and got very out of breath doing so. Knocked it up to 6, and found the 2nd km harder on the arms, but easier to maintain, (if that makes sense).

I'd probably go for a compromise if using those machines, but I guess I'd better find out what "drag-factor" I want if the ones at SWC are newer. Job for next week then... Complicated - innit???

Jane
  • Options
    I'm thinking of setting my trainers on drag factor 3. And my teeshirt on resistance level 4. I think that'll work.
  • Options
    Just trying to help :) it's not complicated and I'm sure i can help you on the day, so at least the next time you'll know.

You should have a minute or so to play with the machines with before hand. I know i'd like at least 60 seconds to set the drag

I find the higher the drag the more quickly I get tired as it takes more energy to move the fly wheel. Of course just to complicate it it all depends on what rating I'm doing as well..

Who said this was easy

Entries close tomorrow - times etc should be done after that
  • Options
    Cheers Rob - great to have someone who knows what he's doing. Thank you !

I'll check out my rowers on Saturday, and see what drag they register.

• Options
    No worries,

Just better if you can practice on your own machines at your gyms and not have to worry about jumping on a new one.

• Options
    Cheers Rob - looks good to me !
  • Options
    OK I paid, £15 for the team - Any ideas on a team name? I forgot to put one down

See you on the day - John (rower guy) won the ergo last time and can kick my back side over any distance on the machine (He's a big fit lad)

Should be interesting for a laugh anyway and I reckon we stand a chance of the title - touch wood

• Options
    Team name = The Loose Connection, we were stuck and desperate and needed the name today

seems like there are about 15 teams competing from around the country (from as far as bedford) and around 80 individuals

I think there are only 2 teams attempting it using the individuals times from the whole event if that makes sense

Also I'll ask the rowers tomorrow if they want to make up a team with any of you lot if you fancy it? Just let me know the leg you want to do and predicted time ish so I can put it to the guys. I'll say now the rowers would prefer the ergo and the run probably as no one has a decent bike and no one cycles. I can but ask them

Oh and they are grouping start times based on the ergo times. What did everyone put? Just curious as to whether I'll be setting off with you all? I put 10.30 is this foolish?
  • Options
    Team TLC ! Cool !

Tried checking the drag at the gym, but got drag up, but no figures there. Hmmm.

Can't remember exactly what time I put, but prob around the 13 or 14 min mark.

I'm certainly not going to challenge your 10.30 !!

• Options
    once you get drag to appear you need to pull the chain.

i'll look for you over my shoulder when you come past on the bike then :)
  • Options
    'as no one has a decent bike and no one cycles' - Strange I'd have thought cycling would pretty much complement rowing particularly off season, if you have a off season.

anyway 14mins for me, though there's no danger of me of coming past you on the bike.