Options

Tights vs. Shorts

So seriously, what is the difference and/or advantage, if any, of running tights (short, not long) vs. regular running shorts?

Comments

• Options

what do you mean about short running tights.....all running tights are long...........

do yoiu mean lycra running shorts as oppossed to old fashioned cotton/ polyester  running shorts.......

i feel the lycra shorts are much more comfortable

• Options
    MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Why do they call them tights and not leggings?
  • Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

I find the lycra shorts too hot and think the looser kind allow more freedom of movement. But I believe male runners feel that the lycra ones support their equipment more effectively. You may also be interested in the 'camel toe' discussion in the Gear forum concerning ladies' shorts preferences.

• Options

because they are tight like tights.....image

I need the tighter support of the lycra ones for my stomach and thighs......no chaffing with my ronhill ladies lycra shorts image

• Options

Tight shorts prevent chafing over long distances. Personally only wear cotton short up to 10K anything longer and out comes the lycra! image

• Options
    I love my lycra shorts - and mainly cos they're great for going spinning and stuff in them. Its no fun doing that in flappy shorts.

They should also be faster (more aero) and some of them are quite compressy - so you should get that benefit too if you believe in it.
  • Options
    WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

I've never found 'flappy' shorts comfortable, and chafing is much more likely.  Lycra shorts are very comfy.

It boils down to what you find suits you.

• Options
    mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

Definitely lycra 3/4 lenghts for me. Have always preferred them even when my thighs were smaller. But I don't really mind what others wear. Though I do think camel toe is bit unsightly...

• Options

Personally I prefer lycra shorts as they don't ride up when running/circuit training/spinning.  I did see a girl at about mile 17 of Edinburgh Marathon last year wearing loose shorts with some serious chafing issues raw and bleeding between her legs. 

You just need to find what works for you.

• Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Bleeding thighs? Shudder. image

• Options

Funnily enough, Edinburgh marathon 2009, I'd only ever run in the cold but the race day was due a heat wave.
    Bought myself some flappy loose shorts but only managed a short taper run to test them.
    Come race day, the heat / sweat / friction meant I grazed the insides of my thighs to the point they were starting to bleed (I'm size 10 btw, but have thunder thighs!). Luckily a St. John's bod sorted me with some vaseline to lube them up! image
    It hurt... really really frikkin hurt! image

Next pair of shorts = lycra and a bit longer! image

• Options

Same again - all races I wear shorts. Adrenaline tends to stop chafing pain!

Long sunday run - 2XU tight jobbies stopping any chafing

• Options

Deffo lycra shorts in summer, lycra tights in winter - many years ago I also suffered bleeding thighs on a 25km race, it's very painful, and excruciating in the shower afterwards. I only wear flappy shorts for casual wear, not for exercise. I think maybe more men than women can get away with running in shorts, because unfortunately many of us ladies tend to have rather bigger thighs.

• Options

wore skinz a few time but prefer to wear shorts.

• Options

Also mens floppy shorts tend to be longer, ladies ones tend to ridiculoulsly short!  Mind you it's almost impossible to get ladies lycra shorts of a sensible length (thank goodness for SPorts Direct...).  I don't want capris when it is hot and sunny but I don't want hot pants as chafing will occur if they're too short.  If there are any manufacturers of lycra shorts on here, mid thigh length PLEASE!

• Options
    WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

My lycra shorts are mid-thigh.  

NIke do them, and Ron Hill.  Have a look on Wiggle.

• Options

Mine are too - and I bought them from Lidl!