The new home the RW sub 3:30 now heading for 3:15

1234568»

Comments

• chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    Wow, some smokin' times there, Daren, cooks and FRC. I feel very tortoise-like compared to you guys ...

Daren: sorry to hear about not moving house image  Nightmare!

(((AA))) sounds grim image. Hope you can shake it.

Mr. Z: LOL re. suit incident!

nce: don't you worry. I feel like I'm on the wrong thread most days. It's all about banter and support and ... drinking. Times are just numbersimage

Bro: fab running with a hangover!

12 miles d&d. For once it wasn't hot or muggy. Bliss. Did a 2 mile warm-up and then 10 miles at 7:48. That was my spring MP and it felt almost easy image
  • Hi Daren - good to hear you're nearly back to where you were post injury (hope not been too bad) and sorry to hear the move has been a nightmare, fingers crossed that the issues are resolved asap..... ps - that be a speedy 5k training run, you've still got it! image

• PinkladyPinklady ✭✭✭

Brolish - great running even with a hangover!

DarenF - Just saying hello as I am relatively new to the thread

Barry B - Great tempo runs - you know what you are doing training wise & i'm sure you will run a great race in Berlin. Looking forward to being there to support you

AA - Flip flops great to wear on holiday but not great for the feet after the holidays as my consultant told me when I had my foot op. Hope the PF sorts itself but you swim & cycle so you can still train - not that I'm an expert!

Chickadee Great 12 miles

Took advantage of being in my hometown & went to see the site for the Wolf-run yesterday as I am due to take part in it next month. In two minds if I should as I have been advised against it after having my foot operated on.

Ran for 6 miles this morning. Another PB for me so the coach will be pleased as I have followed his advise and now starting to see the benefits - millage not speed he told me when I first started getting back into running seriously.

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

FRC- I think your training schedule sugests you are really a secret member of the SAS?how would your physio deal with chronic AT?Careful with your fast reps ,thats what screwed my achilles over....and you have made a valid point to Barry.

nce-dont worry about the fast rep guys here ,if you drink beer you're in the right place

Chick-excellent 12-looks like you have your zing back

Daren-sub 20  5k training -you are flying again

Carrot-yes I have cried off my OW swim tonight-gutted as they are laying on cake for afterwards. Another fast interval session-is Weds the day for them?

Oomp-no never met her but I have one of my own

Cooks-sub 3 looks well on but I bet you are frustrated waiting for the right race to try it. Boston would be perfect as it is a fast route even with Heartbreak Hill(its not that tough). Im going to give the entry a go as my GFA is less demanding and theres talk of the numbers being increased by another 6-7k.Would love another crack at it.

KFC-another!!interval session!! Good one too

Planned to try around 12 miles last night but ended up watching the Queen Elizabeth cruise ship sailing along the Mersey against the setting of Anthony Gormleys Another Place in Crosby so no time.Spectacular. Instead ran 8 and a bit miles at 7.29 mm pace and the first of the 8 was 8.15 mmso it seems that I have something left after these weeks injury and feeling sorry for myself....so where do I find a 8 week marathon training planimage

• Hey folks

Cooks: Chick and I will be at Boston, you know you can do it.

kfc: nice session.

Chick: your getting quick

20ld; get in there nowt to marathon in 8 weeks sounds doable to me

Darren; hope you sort the house out soon

Pink: mileage not speed will only take you so far.

did club run last night and they got lost again, i dispair. Will drive the extra 12 miles to the better club, swam 2K this morning, third swim in 3 months, one month to 1/2 IM!

• FreemersFreemers ✭✭✭

OK, so I haven't been able to catch up at all this week...and now I find we have two threads on the go...help!!

No reading back at all I'm afraid - just spotted some old faces (hi cooks!) and new ones (hi nce!)

A good run from me at the weekend - 15 miles - and then nothing till this morning which was only 4. Work still just mega busy - I've been on the earlier train all week which means my alarm is going off at 4.50am, and getting back home around 8...just completely knackered the whole time. The work is good - really interesting project - just hardly any time for running.  I'm hoping next week will slow down a bit and I can catch up...

Meanwhile....which thread are we on again?

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

DD- so just suppose I did go for it (October 6th) bearing in mind my last LR was in March and I havent run more than 8 since, how should I go about training(without injury) for it-A target sub 3.30, B target sub 3.45 C sub 4 target and in all cases finish uninjured?How can a club run get lost? Is it the disfunctional running club?

Free- treat it as a recovery week

• Oompa -  Ahh you spotted me not mentioning target for Berlin, only target at the mo is beating VLM PW, but I think you all know what target will be set at come race day.

Cooks - They are very quick times for 5 and 10K. Sub 3 target very impressive.

AA - When I returned to running after PF I found taping the arch for support helped  a lot.

Daren - Very speedy stuff, that is a quick 5k training run.

nce - Very nice times for your mile splits.

FRC/2old - Please no negative thoughts, my training is going pretty well so far, only averaging about 40 miles a week, mixing the insanity workouts with my running is working well. But as I've said before the true test will be in September. Very speedy reps from you FRC.

kfc - Very speedy mile from you, well done.

Pinklady -  Good running from you, but I have  warned you about the Wolf run. Keep on doing what you are doing, its going very well.

Chick - Nice 12 miler.

11 miles for me this afternoon, 1 mile slow then 2 steady and repeat, steady between 7:01 and 7:18, average for whole run 7:24. 

• Sounds like some good hard training Daren, well done on the 5K training run!  YKW in the pipeline any time soon?  I'm sure you were the thread pioneer for parkrun!  House move fiasco sounds frustrating. Nothing is ever straight forward.

Great 12M Chick, it's nice when you start to feel fitter, faster and stronger image

That's pretty bad if they keep getting lost during a run DD, don't they know the area? Third swim in three months, but did it feel OK?

Those are some long days Free, no wonder you're worn out.  As long as you're enjoying the work though image I think we're on this one.  But it might be the other one.

2old which marathon was it you were planning on doing? What's the furthest you've run since March?  And do you think your Achilles will hold out?  Is it worth doing it for a slower performance than you're capable of?

That's a more interesting way of running 11 miles Barry, might have to give that a go for one of my midweek longer runs.

10M from me tonight, moved forward from Thursday in advance of the weekends planned antics.

• Daren good to see you getting back into after injury, I remember how speedy you were getting last time, and it looks like you're heading the same way again.

Cooks have you done Royal Parks before? I think it is a fast course, especially if you're at the front. There are narrow paths in the latter half, but people should be quite spread out by then, and some twists that you just have to go with. Although I seem to be the only person who doesn't like it as a course, royal parks, houses of parliament, blah, blah, blah.

Carrot I'm doing run to the beat in Sept, it covers a lot of the first third of the VLM course, but hillier. It was also my first half and I am preparing myself for the possibility that I'll be slower. image

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Barry- looks like you've got the right balance. Will be interested to see how it pans out but it looks optimistic for you . That's fast steady running by any reckoning

Carrot-Chester marathon is on 6th October. Furthest run since March was this evening -12.5miles in 1.39.  I know i need more miles in my legs  after that !Achilles tight but ok. I'm not really serious about doing it and if I do it will just 'for fun'

• Hi Weeble - not done Royal Parks before so thanks for the heads up.  I was thinking it would be quite fast from looking at the route, as you say the challenge will be 'getting a start' image  It is a corporate entry with work, so blagging rights are at stake!!  I understand that the bling doesn't bling tho?!?!

Hi guys re Boston - an extra 6-7k eh?  I will keep a close eye on it when entry opens for the faster peeps - will be very tempted if is comes down to GA.... might be tricky family wise tho, Mrs C wants me to do it but would be better if kids a bit older maybe.  Food for thought - I'm off to check the website again!

• FRC-  yes, I very much did feel like kicking MrB after the 10k but stopped myself.image Great 800s from you.

Daren- speedy as always. Hope the house stuff gets sorted.

Chick- great 12 miler. You're like me with the heat. As soon as it cools down I jump into the next gear!

Pinklady- PBing left right and centre- good stuff!

2Old- very encouraging pace on the 8 miler.image

Free- hope the work calms down for you.

Barry- I agree with Carrot- I like the sound of your steady/ easy 11 miler. Will have to give it a go.

Weeble- see you at the start line of Run to the Beat.image As for Royal Parks it's still my pb so I would agree that it's fast, I didn't have any issues avoiding slower runners. Not bothered about the sites but it's flat and close to home. Shame I didn't get in through the ballot again!image

• 10x 2min intervals for me last night which worked out around 500m @ 6.20- 6.40. 15m into work this morning averaging 8.09 with the middle 5m steady. I could easily go back to bed now and it doesn't help that all the systems are down and I can't get to my work.image

Recovery shuffle tomorrow morning and then I'm off to Edinburgh for the Fringe festival- yuppeee!

• PS 2old - Heartbreak not too bad? Encouraging - tell me more!! When did you do it?

• Weeble – great to see you back running again. Try not to worry about the possibility of being slower too, take the positive line of just being back out there after the bad luck you’ve had.

Nce – if you’re only as good as your last marathon, I’ve had a disastrous 4.15 followed by a DNS, so don’t worry about speed issues!

Daren – your speed seems to be flying back & hope the house move gets sorted soon. 

Carrot – a killer track session followed by a 10M, not surprised it was hard work!

Pinklady – well done on the 6 mile pb! Milestones like that and beating targets are what make it all worthwhile!

Free – well done on your 15 and I sympathise with work. Mine’s not quite that bad, but everything is going crazy just as I’m frantically trying to get everything done ahead of two weeks paternity

Barry – nice 11 miler, looks like a good way to mix it up

Cooks – good to see you back posting, I thought you’d disappeared to pastures quicker! Any tips on keeping two nippers happy rather than one!?

Two nice sessions there Brolish, nice to get those in the bank ahead of what I imagine will be a very good weekend!

Still no news from me on the nipper front, so have tried to get a couple of decent workouts in this week. Did 10 x 400m with reps between 5.47 & 6.21 pace on Tuesday - quickest rep was the 9th, slowest the 4th, which was encouraging.

Then did a 6M progressive this morning, starting at 8.35mm & finishing with four in the 7's, down to 7.08. Really enjoyed it, totally lost myself and didn’t look at my garmin once.  In fact, the only thing of any note was having a barney with a cyclist who missed me by centimetres after he jumped a red light!

• Cheers Red.  Nope, just a combo of busy, busy and prolonged IT issues at home.  Re 2 nippers - has the second arrived yet?  If so, congrats! What flavour?  Re tips - hmmmm prayer and alcohol in either order image Seriously tho - we've found it hard with the elder girl, the recent addition is an angel so far.  Main priority is to try and give Mrs C a bit of a break come the weekend, hard as still breast feeding tho - with weaning ahead, I things will become more managable......

• Ha - good use of 'what flavour' Cooks, whenever I say that to anyone in my team at work they just look at me as if I'm slightly odd! Still waiting at the moment, but is imminent. Understand about the weekend break, I've binned cricket off for the past three weeks, so am going to give it a miss now until next season. Actually helps negotiate the running anyway, so not all bad.

I just had a look at the Royal Parks route as haven't really taken note before. Looks a very good one - the start / finish is right where I did my 400s on Tuesday morning. Apart from a couple of kinks at 5.5 and 10, the rest looks flat as a pancake.

• Sounds like any mo now then - best of luck sir!  I will keep an eye out for the announcement! image  Just had a flash back to d-day for number 2 & do have a piece of advice, don't be afraid to get to the hospital/birthing centre promptly (assuming not having a home birth that is) this moved a lot quicker second time around and am tempted to suggest packing your wicket keepers gloves! image  We nearly ended up having to call our second bundle of joy 'A21' image

Cheers for that - I've been on the road bits during the vlm and the Bupa 10k so know those bits and like you say, pretty fast and flat but the park bits are a bit unknown.  Like you say possibly a bit 'kinky' image

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Cooks- Boston 2009-it was my 4th Marathon previous pb 3.20 and did this one in 3.11. Very early start having to be bused from the city out to a school in the sticks.It was freezing so some took sleeping bags for the wait.Great atmosphere there though. Runners were coraled according to their qualifying time so whilst it was crowded the mass of runners moved smoothly on and had the effect of pulling you along if that makes sense. First half of the race seemed as though it was snaking along from town to town through countryside ,went passed a girls college famed for the noise made. Then around mile 16/17 were the start of a few hills .Heartbreak hill was steep relative to the rest of the route-more of a steady plod up- and was followed by a couple of smaller but noticeable(unexpected) ones up to about mile 19/20-this can be checked on the race web site profile. Around 20/21 the route changed to the wider city highways and I started to toil a bit. You could see the city sky line marking the finish but it seemed to take forever getting thereand I dont like the wide US highways . Fanatastic atmosphere-the city loves its marathon. Everyone wore their jackets from previous years even if they werent running. Very historic feel about it. Definately one to do and do again especially as the majority are there on merit with a qualifying time

By the way we are back at our home thread now

• chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

Crikey, I thought we were back in our old home and what did I miss? About 2 pages of new posts image

Yeah cooks, come to Boston. You know you want to image 

2old: the bit about the Skyline not coming any closer sounds a bit soul-destroying. Reminds me of VLM and no matter where you turn - there's always friggin' Canary Wharf whether it's left, right or centre image  that really did my head in.

Bro: apparently it's 13 degrees tomorrow morning here - now that'd be perfect of another of those dreaded P&D tempo runs image  2 really good workouts for you there, well done image

Redders/cooks: love the "what flavour" reference. Ace. Must remember it next time somebody at work is supposed to drop their sproglet image

Nice and fast running, Redders image That was a quick final mile!!

Right - can we please all move over to the old couch now?? I'm going crazy having to keep up with 2 freds image