Options

ironman-lanzarote

2»

Comments

• Options

I was reading that whilst on a guided tour of Lanza, seemed to be the only idiot giggling as the coach crawled up the hills on the course. They were worse in a coach than on a bike!

• Options
    Zakalwe-Outlaw wrote (see)

Did anyone do any clever bike stuff, changing gear ratios or anything?  If so did it make a different or is it really just a case of grizzing it out?

Z-O,

I was using a compact chainring (50/34) and a 12-25 cassette.  If I had to do it again I would probably stick a 12-27 just so I could have a little bit more twiddliness as I did spend a fair amount of time in it.  Lanza 2013 8:05, Outlaw 2012 6:24 so yes I was undercooked bike training wise for Lanza.

• Options

What was your bike time at Wales FF?

• Options

My  Lanza and Outlaw bike splits from 2012 were 8.40 and 6.48.

At Lanza I rode a triple road bike and at the Outlaw I rode my double TT bike.

• Options

Pingu- 7:31 IM Wales 2011, I think I was possibly marginally fitter at Wales vs Outlaw, but I was definately thinner at Wales so maybe less muscle mass.

• Options

At outlaw I rode a 11-23, 39/53 double TT bike, at Lanza I used my roadbike 12-27, 34/50 compact.  I needed all those gears but im a bit of a porker, race day weight about 16 stone.

• Options

imageIf you are happy climbing on a tri bike or are quite strong on the bike lanza is a tri bike course.

Lots of fast downhills where aero is good 

• Options

Ok I am definitely thinking of changing my gear ratio for this course then as a 23 might be a tad on the masochistic side. 

Need a good challenging early season sportive to focus the bike training around I think, hilly and a good distance.  Any suggestions from previous experience?

• Options

Hi Zak, as this thread was started 8 months ago you should be ready now. But here's a little more: I'm doing my 3rd LIM in May and the bike is definitely tough and the wind can be horrendous but this is normally behind you for the last 60k or so. Like someone posted earlier just spin on the hills and enjoy the views. As others have told me and I've seen it 1st hand, 'it's all about the run', if you blast the bike your hamstrings will know about it on the run and even if it's dark when you're running it'll still be 70 degrees plus. Have a great one and no matter what you're still an Ironman when you cross that finish line!!!

• Options

Deone, thanks for the feedback mate but I have had wait until next year now for my LIM debut as I am away for the next 9 months with work.  Will bear it all in mind for 2015, here is hoping!!!!

• Options

Deone, thanks for the feedback mate but I have had wait until next year now for my LIM debut as I am away for the next 9 months with work.  Will bear it all in mind for 2015, here is hoping!!!!