ironman-wales-2014

Comments

• That's a different timing of tide compared to the Long Course Weekend. An incoming tide?, I wonder if that will assist the swim or not.
  • the high tide for tenby on ironman day is 10.15 which is why they have changed the swim course slightly this year (we don't run around goscar rock this year as we swim to the other side of it) but 2.4 miles is 2.4 miles wherever the water is! really looking forward to the day now, see you all there imageimage

• M..o.useM..o.use ✭✭✭

Tired Badger - last year it was at a venue outside of town and I didn't want to move my car out of the multistorey for fear of losing my long stay parking space.  (Our accommodation was in a no parking zone.)  This meant I didn't go.  However, I very much enjoyed the pasta parties I have been to in Nice and Lanzarote.  Not sure if that helps.

I walked barefoot down the path and it was smooth, the beach is lovely and sandy.  Race organisers disapprove of 2,500 pairs of rejected flip flops being left on the beach.

I remember thinking the tide changed during our swim last year, didn't you think that too Seren?

• Which energy/ food bags do people have? I currently use the Deuter Energy Bag but it is a little small for my supplies and wondered if anyone can recommend a slightly bigger one. Looking at the Topeak Tri-Bag. Just having a bit of a panic shop on Wiggle. Was going  to get some CO2 cartridges as well but never used them before!! Not had a puncture in a couple of years so Sod's Law dictates I am due one in Tenby image

• Oh , i hadn't spotted the slight change in the swim course, I wonder how that will affect things ? if at all ? ... with the quality of my sighting i'll probably still end up having to run round the rock 

• Thommo .. i use a profile design "energy pack" .. can get nearly as much in that as the topeak one i used to use , but it sits much nicer on the top tube.  The topeak fuel tank , zip broke after one event .. so money back job (thanks wiggle ) and got this instead .

having said that i do tend to end up taping things on all over the bike and have bags under the saddle and generally go out looking like the cycling equivalent of an SAS landrover .. so maybe i do need something bigger image 

• Ooh, I hadn't picked up on the swim course change, that's a longer run to get off the beach.  

Have to have a good look at something to sight for the leg from the lifeboat station, the gap in the buildings was always the best to exit on the west side of the rock.  

• slimshady wrote (see)

Hi folks..just to say I've suddenly ended up doing this race..( dont ask) after having a year off.

2 weeks is enough time to train isn't it?  image

Look forward to seeing you all there  image

Short notice, but best of luck

• Special needs bags - Other than the obvious spare inner tube and CO2 cartridge, I am wondering what everyone puts in there? I'm thinking at some point on the bike I am going to need a boost or a treat of some kind to keep me going, that is not a gel, banana, energy bar. I am thinking a ham sandwich (as I always crave one at the end of a long ride) and some flat coke! 

• M..o.useM..o.use ✭✭✭

Never used a special needs bag.  I just pack up my bike like Slag's Land Rover.  I carry two spare tubes, two cannisters, patches and a pump on the bike.  I'm just always afraid they will lose my bag and I'm too tight fisted to put tube and cannister in a bag that I won't get back.

• That's a different timing of tide compared to the Long Course Weekend. An incoming tide?, I wonder if that will assist the swim or not.
  • last year the tides really did change mid swim...unless you were a fast swimmer.......I was a lot slower on the second lap than 1st which is unusual for me......the second loop was a lot harder......

• slimshady wrote (see)

Hi folks..just to say I've suddenly ended up doing this race..( dont ask) after having a year off.

2 weeks is enough time to train isn't it?  image

Look forward to seeing you all there  image

I am very jealous  image  have fun

• Cheers Seren, will you be there?

• M..o.useM..o.use ✭✭✭
    So what's the story then? Charity place or blagged a transfer?
  • As I haven't a place I will be supporting... image

I bet its a corporate place....image

• I wouldn't know corporate if it bit me on the ar*e  image

Be good to catch up...see you there

• I think, (all being well with Garr's poorly Grandad) that I will be coming along to support too. I'm planning on just coming for the day so let me know where you'll be Seren.

• I will Hope.....I am watching the swim.then probably running to wisemans bridge to watch the bike.. before running back to tenby to follow the run near a pub image

• I would offer you a  backie to Wisemans bridge Seren but I am going the long way round.

i will try and get there before you  image

• You could probably hop backwards and still get there before me.

• joddlyjoddly ✭✭✭

Slim, great to hear you're coming!

• outfit dilemma! 2 quick changes or tri suit the whole way, any suggestions?image

• Or, best of both, tri shorts and top all the way. No changes and easier for pit stops

• M..o.useM..o.use ✭✭✭

fairycakes, are you a hot person or a cold person?  Last year I had a big dilemma over kit and made the wrong choices (for me) and got really cold.  It's mid September in West Wales and the temperature potentially drops over the next couple of weeks.  In my mind, it's an autumnal race.  

I got cold coming out of the water and getting onto the bike in wet kit that then had to dry off whilst on me, drawing my body heat.  I had on tri shorts and a tri top and put a bike jersey over the top.  Obviously I was wet, so the jersey just got wet!  Out on the bike I saw many DNF athletes in just tri suits wrapped up in foil blankets. I ended up putting my rain jacket on, not because it was raining, but because I was cold.  Although it rained later! Fortunately, I did have more clothes for the run and changed into 3/4 tights (I was really cold by this point) and another clean bike jersey.  As the weather continued to deteriorate I ended up with a jacket over the top of that jersey.  (I'm a back of the packer, finishing in 16 hours in the rain).

If I were taking part this year and the weather was as autumnal as last year, I would go for a full change (at least of top half) in T1 just to get dry clothes on and be warmer.  Probably a jersey and arm warmers with a jacket in my pocket.  I'd probably include another top for the run and include 3/4 length tights in case I was cold.  If I wasn't cold/wet coming off the bike, I may not use any of it.

That said, if you are warm blooded, like Seren, you may not have the same concerns.  Seren probably doesn't have the same memories of being cold as I do.

• M..o.use wrote (see)

If I were taking part this year and the weather was as autumnal as last year, I would go for a full change (at least of top half) in T1 just to get dry clothes on and be warmer.  Probably a jersey and arm warmers with a jacket in my pocket.  I'd probably include another top for the run and include 3/4 length tights in case I was cold.  If I wasn't cold/wet coming off the bike, I may not use any of it.

This is basically my plan 2 x full changes - cycle shorts, cycle top and arm warmers,(without the 3/4 length tights), although I only have a very light shower proof in cycling top. into run shorts and tri top. I have considered putting on a base layer in T1 as I was a bit chilly on this weeks long ride.

• Thanks for the tips guys, I think I am going to go with the 2 changes, a few minutes in transition is worth the extra comfort I think. image

• i did the race like Mouse.but i am a hot person as long as my feet are ok.so i had either toe covers of shoe covers.can't remmeber..........

but I did put a light weight jacket on for the bike.....but despite the weather it was around my waist by 20 or 30 miles and stayed off the whole time so i cycled in monaco and armwarmers

• I almost always cycle in a rain jacket because I am cold out of the swim. I've been using my light weight jacket, but the last two bike rides I've done I've worn my thicker winter commuting jacket as it's got colder. 8 hrs is a long time on the bike so I think if the weather doesn't improve I'll be wearing the thick one for the ride and the thin for the run. I'm going for tri shorts and sports bra for under the wet suit, then will put dry pirate vest and arm warmers on in T1. Think I'll have a full charge of clothes in T2 just in case.