Helmet advice

I need to buy a new helmet, mine is past its best.  No interest in a pointy speedster thing, but any recommendations for a decent, affordable helmet gratefully received.

Comments

• You simply have to try them and find something you like. I like BBB helmets because I have a small head and they dont mushroom my head. It is very much personal preference. I'm sure there's lots of info about vents and aerodynamics etc. I'm not really at that sort off stage. Hopefully someone will pop up with more info.

• I got a Boardman (not sure the model) very good review and reasonable priced, I've found it very comfy and good ventilation. But as Mrs Digger says a very personal choose, I tried on loads.

• Best you can afford, its the one piece of safety kit we wear and its worth investing in your life I reckon.

• Flat Footed wrote (see)

Best you can afford, its the one piece of safety kit we wear and its worth investing in your life I reckon.

And fits your head properly!!

• Just wondering how much of a difference do those aero helmets make never bothered with on previousjus but if anyone has recently made the jump was therewas noticeableeffect or is it just Gucci kit?

• Ooops, must have missed the thread subtitle image

Actually, I need a new lid too. Sorry to hijack your thread, but does anyone else have a large/ oddly-shaped head?  Helmets which are long enough front to back are always too wide on me. 

• Nursey, ouch!

Thanks for advice everyone.  

• +1 on what Flat Footed/Iron Sister said.  

This is the one I have does the job image

http://www.spiuk.com/ing/site/producto-ficha.asp?id=461

• But here's a couple of things to consider. In Health and Safety speak, a helmet would be considered as PPE (Personal Protective Equipment) which is the LAST thing you would employ when trying to protect yourself from any potential risk.

First you should try and remove the risk entirely - which would mean banning cars from the road and using stabilisers all the time so you don't fall off! A little impractical??

If this is not possible you should minimise the risk. In terms of riding on the road, this would be things like wearing high viz, running with lights all day, and - the one most forget - being aware of your surroundings and your vulnerability! The number of times I've sat on someone's wheel waiting to overtake them and they have no idea I'm there and they just weave about all over the road!

If, in H&S talk, you can't minimise the risk sufficiently, then you employ PPE. No doubt helmets save serious injury/death but they only do so much! For me, I would invest money in high viz and good lights before a helmet - but that's just my opinion. Avoid being hit, rather than protecting yourself from it!

*rant over*

• Fair call Raf - bike defensively and control the controllables.  But I still wouldn't bike without my helmet.

• Surely it should be "avoid being hit, and protect yourself from it anyway". The only way to avoid being hit completely is not to go out in the first place, regardless of how defensively you ride. And of course in races you have to wear a helmet anyway.

Back to the original point, I'm looking at road helmets myself too. Currently using my mountain bike helmet which is now somewhere in the region of 8 years old. Gets a bit warm, so after something with better ventilation.

• Rafiki wrote (see)

But here's a couple of things to consider. In Health and Safety speak, a helmet would be considered as PPE (Personal Protective Equipment) which is the LAST thing you would employ when trying to protect yourself from any potential risk.

First you should try and remove the risk entirely - which would mean banning cars from the road and using stabilisers all the time so you don't fall off! A little impractical??

If this is not possible you should minimise the risk. In terms of riding on the road, this would be things like wearing high viz, running with lights all day, and - the one most forget - being aware of your surroundings and your vulnerability! The number of times I've sat on someone's wheel waiting to overtake them and they have no idea I'm there and they just weave about all over the road!

If, in H&S talk, you can't minimise the risk sufficiently, then you employ PPE. No doubt helmets save serious injury/death but they only do so much! For me, I would invest money in high viz and good lights before a helmet - but that's just my opinion. Avoid being hit, rather than protecting yourself from it!

*rant over*

Yawn.image

• image bugger off and go and get drunk burfday boy image

• Rafiki wrote (see)

No doubt helmets save serious injury/death but they only do so much! 

They do a lot. Including increase the frequency and severity of rotational injuries sustained in collisions. image

• Something that might help is GIRO helmets if you have a crash and it cracks open they will replace your helmet for you. Leant this the hard way years back.

A helmet won't save you from a runaway truck but a seltbelt won't ever in a car doesn't mean they arn't a good idea.

Way to think of it is if you come off your bike ever at speed or even just pottering about it will protect your head from the pavement. Anything else is a bonus. Agrea above about lights but still get a helmet.

Lights help other's notice you doesn't mean you won't have a bad day and make a mistake yourself. Both are inportant but I woundn't cycle round the corner without a helmet on because you never know what might happen and they do work. One i'm sure saved my life many years back and made the different between having a headacre and working away or needing a ambulance.

• I do cycle without a helmet often - personal choice and all - plus most of my skull is titanium after .... errrrr .... the last bike crash I had image

• image Bad raf I throught you where smart. image

• The one and only time I've come off my bike there was no other vehicle or person involved, just a junction and a wet road.  I hit my head on the ground and I hate to think of the damage I would have sustained if I hadn't been wearing a helmet.
    Yes, it is personal choice, and mine is to never, ever go out on the bike with a bare heid.

• image Your still lovely mate and if I wasn't married you could turn me. image

• I remember the days before these foam helmets existed. We got on fine and I didn't lose any club mates who fell off their bikes.

Helmets will help a bit - but cycling isn't as dangerous as it would seem to be. If it was then no cycling clubs could have survived the pre helmet years.
  • I grew up in the no helmet era but to be fair, a horse and cart weren't exactly dangers on the roads then either.....image

I started wearing them when mountain biking - no way would I go off-road without as it's just asking for trouble, but I've just kept wearing them when I switched to road biking as I feel a little unsettled on the bike without one.