Options

Decent Book Suggestions

Comments

• Options
    Hi Cath

Have you read Mc Carthy's Bar by Pete McCarthy? It's hysterically funny and got me strange looks on a train from Edinburgh to London because I was laughing so much!

Anything by Anita Brookner is usually a relaxing but well-written read!

Happy reading and take lots of care

T
  • Options
    Tortoise - I'll add it to the list (McCarthy that is). Thanks :)
  • Options
    drewdrew ✭✭✭
    Cath, if you haven't already read Lance Armstrong's book you may find it quite inspirational.

Stephen King's earlier works make quite good reading. If you want a nice long one then James Clavell's Shogun is good.
  • Options
    Cath....can't resist a last suggestion, :
    Flanaghans Run by Tom McNab.
    Because you are a runner, I know for certain that you will love this book, and you will thank me time and again for having given you the title. Happy hours. Billyboy.
  • Options
    Cath - I agree with Nessie, Timeline is a super read, as is anything by Tolkien, not only LOTR but The Hobbit as a good prelude, childish but fun, or The Silmarillion - that's a bit heavy but gives reams of background detail. I read almost anything, including all the Lovejoy books by Jonathan Gash - I'll never be tempted to buy an antique after reading all his hints on how to fake anything from Queen Anne silver to Chippendale! Fascinating.
    Definitely the best ever book in the spy-type genre, just re-read it again, The Brotherhood of The Rose by David Morrell, I love that book. Absolutely nothing to do with the book/film The Name of the Rose starring Sean Connery.
  • Options
    Anything by bernice Rubens or Amy Tan
    Or Jilly Cooper if you want trash, But readable trash
    Oh yes, Paullina Simons is good too
  • Options
    If you like historical fiction (and a darn good yarn) try Bernard Cornwall's "Sharpe" series. There's the added bonus that a number of them have been turned into a very good series of movies staring Sean Bean.
  • Options
    Cath I would second both Mc Carthys Bar and Its not about the bike by Lance Armstrong
  • Options
    Guys -- I read Lance Armstrong's book last week :o) It was a very inspirational and good read.
  • Options
    Another vote for If this is a man by Primo Levi (and the follow on - The Truce).
    Grapes of Wrath - John Steinbeck.
    Billy - Pamela Stephenson (On biography front)
    Anything by Joseph Connelly for a laugh
  • Options
    BarklesBarkles ✭✭✭
    Cath
    Not the right forum, I know, but we do think of you, even if we don't visit the non dark side very often. Hope you are well.
  • Options
    Can't go wrong with anything from JR Hartley ! A right riveting read !
  • Options
    BarklesBarkles ✭✭✭
    It'll be Enid Blyton next.
    Or Swallows and Amazons. The girl needs something to transport her ot new delights, not bl**dy fly fishing.

Anyway I reckon they were making that advert up.I've been to Hay on Wye and there's no such book.
  • Options
    What's wrong with Swallows and Amazons?
    Still pick up my Narnia books after 30 odd years occasionally . . . otherwise . . got to agree with Billyboy, Flanagan's Run is excellent - haven't read it for years, must dig it out.
    And also have to agree with FANY, Birdsong and Charlotte Grey are good reads.
    Also
    almost anything by Thomas Keneally, most recently Bettany's Book,
    Year of Wonders by Geraldine Brooks,
    The True Story of the Kelly Gang by Peter Carey,
    When we were Orphans by Kazuo Ishiguro.
    Enjoyed them all this year.
    richk
  • Options
    A friend recommended 'Forget You Had A Daughter' by Sandra Gregory, I started it today and it is really worth a go. She was jailed in Thailand for drug smuggling, has now been pardoned by the King of Thailand and is now studying at Oxford Uni.
    I probably was guilty of pre-judging her from media coverage at the time but reading the book just shows how easy it is to get false ideas about people.

• Options
    Anything by Bill Bryson
  • Options
    Missed this thread yesterday, sorry

The Heart is a lonely hunter by Carson McCullers
    The Grass is Singing by Doris Lessing
    The Bonesetters Daughter by Amy Tan
    The Shipping News E Annie Proulx (or something!)
  • Options
    Forgot about John Steinbeck! There is a colection of short stories with Of Mice and Men in it that's pretty good.

Brighton Rock (Graham Greene)

Time Machine also very good
  • Options
    Any of the 'travel' type books by Michael Palin - very entertaining
  • Options
    Wild Will -- I've read all the Michael Palin travel books :o) Have you read "Sahara" yet..? I was recently bought it but haven't started that one yet.

Jon -- have read the John Steinbeck books too :o)

Daisy -- The Shipping news..? Is that the one that was recently out as a movie..? That was supposed to be really good.

RichK -- re-read Lion, Witch & Wardrobe when I was in hospital :o)

Barkles -- I know hon, I often see people say I was mentioned in other threads, it's okay :o)

Multi -- um, I know I said I don't mind non-fiction but I don't think that even exists. I appreciate the joke though.

Shufflebuster -- I am going shopping today and the "Billy" book is on the list - I saw them both interviewed by Michael Parkinson a few weeks ago and Billy Connolly is well... he's just mad isn't he :o) So it's be interesting to see what the story behind him really is!

As you've probably guessed guys, I'm a bit of an avid reader - with alot of suggestions coming out having already been read (in some cases a couple of times). I've made a huge list of stuff to get though :o)
  • Options
    For me anything by Steven King you just can't go wrong, just read The Green Mile, very good.....
  • Options
    Gaz & Pernickety Butt -- have read all SK's books!! My favourites were "Gerald's Game" and "The Girl who loved Tom Gordon". Both recent(ish) and both really good I thought.
  • Options
    GavoGavo ✭✭✭
    Agree with BK about Bill Bryson. On a grown-up kids theme, loved the Harry Potter series. There's also a great drugs trilogy by Louis De Bernieres that I read over the summer. Hated "On Green Dolphin Street" (don't get the hype on Faulks at all). If you can get copies of the Regeneration trilogy by Pat Barker then they are good.
  • Options
    Iain Banks is good - read The Business while back and was hooked. Now reading the Wasp Factory - seriously weird, I'll let ya know how it turns out - could be a good one !

And Harry Potter kicks ass too, obviously.
  • Options
    Harry Potter is a t...
  • Options
    A couple more suggestions:

The Sound of One Hand Clapping - Richard Flannagan is great, but a bit harrowing

Driving Over Lemons - Chris Stewart and also the follow up A Parrot in the Pepper Tree

• Options
    Hi Cath,
    If you fancy something to get into, try David and Leigh Eddings. They did a series which I think was called the Belgarion - there are about six books or so. I'd never read anything like them before and stormed through them.

Otherwise, Harry Potter, as mentioned by others, (absolutely fab!) and The Wind Whistler, but I can't remember who it was by (sorry, hopeless woman!).

Have to admit I tend to go for easy reading like Last Chance Saloon et al if I want to kill some time - less taxing for the brain cells, or if I want something a bit heavier, then Schindlers List, Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, Robsinson Crusoe, War of the Worlds, or, my favoritist books, Little Women (Louisa May Alcott), What Katy Did, and What Katy did next (Susan Coolidge) and the Secret Garden (Brain dead - can't remember!).

Hmm think I may have to re-read a few....
  • Options
    Oops, hit submit by accident! A couple more good 'uns:

The Gringo Trail - Mark Mann is so funny I had to buy a replacement when someone stole mine

The God of Small Things - Arundhati Roy

Satanic Verses - Salman Rushdie is actually completely different to what most people expect!

And definitely read McCarthy's bar.

And if you haven't already read it Edmund Hillary - View from the Summit

• Options

Any of the books by Rohinton Mistry are good, though I'm waiting for his latest to come out in paperback. Try "Such A Long Journey".

Running Bare - "View From The Summit" is a wonderful book.

And, coming in from a totally odd angle, try reading "Have A Nice Day" by Mick Foley. OK, so it's about wrestling-WWF style, but it's very funny and an excellent read...