hiding amount to enter

I seem to have noticed that more races are seemingly hiding the amount to enter......I search the website high and low.they have lots of info about how great the race is....

on this Mo ones they have a big section in FAQ about what your entry fee covers.......but i can't find out how much for the cardiff 10k event.....

I must be going mad...any ideas

http://www.mo-running.com/

Comments

• I agree it seems to be a trend with the more mass participation ones and ones run by fit profit companies. Very annoying.
  • it seems you have to go through all the palaver of registering just to find the amount......has to be wrong.......

surely price should be up front and obvious

• It should be, but if people see it up front they will think 50 quid for a 10k?!!!

Once they have put all their details in they are less likely to say no.
  • Snap!Snap! ✭✭✭

I entered tough mudder this year. It was tortuous (or is that torturous?). I had to register to 'lock-in' a price. I had to then buy my ticket once they'd set a venue. I was given a new price. Then after I'd jumped through some more hoops, they charged me an additional £10 for INSURANCE.

They thought it was ok because they were raising money for 'Help for Heroes'. (They actually said that to me).

• Snap!Snap! ✭✭✭

Seren, I've just looked at the event site. Thsi is exactly the process teh ToughMudder idiots used. You register. You gather your team. Everyone's committed and looking forward to it. Then they announce venues. Then they announce prices. By which time you're committed. Thsi seems to be getting more common and I think it's a really ctnical practise. I think for most people like us (ie runners) this process is offensive. Leave it to the novices.

• Sounds like the con is getting more common.

Call me old fashioned but I still like the way my local club does their 10 miler.

Print off entry form - with price clearly stated at top.

Fill out entry form in biro

Write cheque

Put in envelope

Put in post box

Simple!
  • Snap!Snap! ✭✭✭

Running has become SUCH big business now, I'm afraid we'll see more of this. But, if you're the type that likes mass events (I don;t mean this in a derogatory way) then perhaps you're used to it and don't mind this kind of practice.

• Erm well TBH I didn't think it was that hard to find out how much it cost;

"Secure your place today as places are limited and the event will sell out quickly! £16 for the 5k and £22 for the 10k."
    Which is under the "Mo'Brief" on the event home page

and

"£1.95 booking fee applies"
    which is under the registration buttons on the event home page

Doesn't that answer how much it costs? I wouldn't say having it in black and white on the home page is hiding it or am I missing your point? image

• seren - it does say: £22. Though they might have put that on there in the last hour...

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Even with the benefit of Chimpsters post above, I can't find the 'mobrief' section or a price!

• I must have looked in the same place as Chimpster. Click on Seren's link, then choose Cardiff in the 'locations' menu. Scroll down past the picture, and there are three bullet points in bold, the third of which says the price.

• The Brighton marathon tells you at the last minute of entering that they will charge you a whopping 5 pounds 75 pence for admin. Outrageous amount but more outrageous not to tell you before you go through the process of entering. If it was an airline doing it they would be jumped on.

• I pretended to be interested in the Greenwich event and found it reasonably simple to find out the price (+ registration fee) pretty easily without having to register.  That being said, all these additional "administration fee" last-minute add-ons really piss me off. Surely part of the costs of putting your own race on includes the administration of entries.  If it's not a voluntary additional service it should be included in the price.

It seems to me Ryan Air has a lot of unscrupulous misleading online profiteering practise to answer for.  They started it!  (Either them or seetickets.com.  Bastards.)

• Very much agree with PhilPub. Still does not help that runners still bite the bullet and pay up regardless. Admin fees should be built into the price, I will probably stick to events put on by running clubs/small charities as opposed to the "big marquee" events. Unfortunately very few vote with their feet and those that would skip such an event are readily replaced. Supply and demand stipulates races can get away with it until either the running boom subsides or more profit orientated races spring up across the country.

• been on now........that Mo brief was not on there honest earlier.......and when i did go through the registration the 5k and 10k were both showing £22 plus admin feeimage

• It's a similar situation with the Bournemouth Marathon that is very local to me.

Took a while to find out it was 50 to enter then admin fees and you have to pay for some kind of park and ride to the start.

I chose to do Abingdon instead. Even with a 90 min drive each way it works out cheaper and it has a solid reputation as a top race.
  • When an outside agency charges for providing a service for both you and the organisers then that's fair enough. But when you enter through the organiser's website and the only way you can enter then thats a con. I'm off to the butches now. Do you think he's going to say "Oh that's an extra pound for me serving you?"