Running With Your Dog

2»

Comments

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

I've been running with my husky since we got him and have been building up slowly.

We've been building up slowly and only run with him on the lead. We have a harnass and bungee lead for him and it works a treat. He comes out with me on every run that he can and we're running more trail races so he can also take part! We're working up towards a marathon but at the moment he's just around half marathon distance.

He will quite happily trot along side me all day if i let him.

I second SJJ's comment about investing in a good hivis collar and jacket - lately we've had a bit of trouble despite being lit up like a christmas tree on local roads. I have a flashing light on both sides of his harnass to make him visible but cars still go way too fast. This was him a few months ago...

/members/images/334358/gallery/Boyska1.jpg

and this is him now:

/members/images/334358/gallery/Capture_0.JPG

• ChimneyChimney ✭✭✭

I have a couple of terrier type rescues. 6 inch legs and will go all day. One of them has decided that running is the absolute bestest thing ever and has his aim in life to cover every square inch of ground and discover where every track, path etc goes. The other will just trundle along by your ankles, stop for a sniff, catch up, trundle along. they'll regularly run 10 plus miles. A couple of years ago they did a 40 miler. They had trained alongside me so didn't have any qualms in them doing it. Foxy, the go everywhere one, was still bouncing come the end, Patch was still just trundling along. 

The problem with trying to wear them out by running them, they get fitter.............image

If reality matched intention I'd know I was dreaming
  • My beagle has gone up to thirty miles with no bother. Well, no bother for her.  Demoralising for me, as I'm on my knees and she's begging for more.

• That's the problem, the more you run with them, the fitter the dogs get, my two always remain fitter and stronger than me!

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Hi all,

A tangent to the running with dogs question - can anyone recommend any good trail races in the South UK/North France/Belgium/Holland/West Germany (NRW) that allow dogs? I'm trying to plan out my calendar next year and would love to run some races with him.

Half marathon/full marathon distance preferably... although he could run all fricking day if I let him!

• bigwave:

"I run darley park run with Ted my dachshund x yorkie image. He loves running next to me on the trail up to about 10k"

As in Darley Park, Derby?  I have registered but not yet been.  I was thinking about taking my brother's border collie along.  He's well behaved and we run together a lot, but as an un-neutered boy dog, he really does like to stop and sniff a lot, which is pretty much fine when we're on our own and he's on the extending lead, but I wasn't sure if we'd just get in the way a bit on a parkrun.  What do you think?

• Murphy has done 34 miles as his longest, it was a night run and the best fun ever, he wasn't up for much the day after, but was ready to do the same again two days after. Yes they just get fitter.

Emmy your husky is beautiful. 

• I go running with my little guy, a Lhasa Apso called Bailey.  It's hysterical really, he doesn't much like it some days and anyone who knows the breed knows how stubborn they are.  He doesn't half kick up a stink on his lazy days.

Anyway, he's done in after about a mile so I let him back in and then get down to the proper stuff.

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Strangely Brown - My boy has lazy days too... until he sees a cat/rabbit/goatimage

Monique - since we had him snipped he's packed on a lot of weight but the vet said it's almost all muscle! She can't believe the change in the dog from the one she saw in the shelter. He's gone from being a dog that they couldnt control or too excitable (because he wasnt being exercised) to being one of the most chilled out dogs with a few excitable moments.

I'm trying to make sure that we mix the terrain up for his pads but i'm finding that if we have the option of asphalt or grass - he'll almost always choose the alphalt... despite me trying to encourage him by running on the grass. What do others do?

• We run almost exclusively in a forest.

• Murphy likes muddy puddles, I suspect it cools his feet off when we're on road. Most of my runs are 80% off road so it's not a problem. 

The vet warned me he would put on weight if I had him done, but he hasn't. I assured him I would not be the owner of a fat dog.

I 'm going to boast now, on Friday I went out running with him and some friends and two other dogs. When we were on a lane and a car came, each time while they had to run after the other two and grab their collars, Murphy came when called and sat right next to me till I raised my arm the signal for him to move. One of the guys driving past rolled his window down and said what a well trained dog. I was so proud. we have worked on that so he can go off the lead on the quiet lanes. Boast over.

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Monique - It's a true testament to you as an owner how well behaved your dog is! I'm really jealous! We're doing obedience training to challenge him (and us) to behave properly. We have our moments but he's still a young lad and trying to push his boundaries but he's one of the best behaved in class.

• I run most of the time with my dog. He's a short haired pointer. Runs next to me on a slack lead or off the lead on the trails. Makes no difference at all to my running. Be careful of his pads when on the road though. He has had blisters before which quite pricey to treat at the vets!

• Emmy I think it's more that Collies are the cleverest dogs in the world, and I was told rescue dogs tend not to let you out of their sight after experiencing abandonment. I wouldn't be confident getting a puppy into shape, but Murphy arrived with good habits already. I 've also discovered that collies want to do the right thing it's just communicating what that is. The beauty of a rescue dog is you can blame any weird behaviour on their previous experience, whereas with a puppy I feel it would be entirely my fault!

• I am totally biased about collies btw.

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

You can't tellimage Collies are very intelligent and will give you back their loyalty a thousand times.

We had a slight accident over the weekend. Hubby was out on the bike with boyska and boyska ran in front of him. Hubby braked hard and went over the top of the bike and landed on Boyska's foot. One broken toe and a nasty gash later - we're on reduced walks for a week and no running. The lad is looking very sorry for himself and not enjoying only getting 30-40minutes twice a day.

• I run with my weimeraner who is 4. He runs both off lead but I do canix with him as well. We took part in our first 10k last weekend and we loved it. Dogs make great running partners. Sometimes it's just not the same without him!