Options

Mizuno Breath Thermo

So there's this free sample thing in the magazine and an associated RW Promotion feature on pages 82 & 83 of the new issue of Runner's World.

Some Breath Thermo yarn from Mizuno - add a few drops of water (provided!) and the yarn gets hot.

It really does!

And the application of this... making apparel that, when you start sweating, HEATS UP!

"Breath Thermo technology reacts with perspiration to generate heat..."

"Drawing on Mizuno's 100 years of sports technology expertise, the Breath Thermo fabric works by taking advantage of the moisture produced when you perspire. It .... then uses the water vapour to activate heat-generating fibres in the fabric."

Now hang on... why do we sweat in the first place?

It's the body's way of trying to cool itself when it overheats - so why do we then want to be made to get even hotter?

Someone explain this to me like I'm an idiot.

Thanks.

Comments

• Options

Yes it took me a while to work out what the hell it was. About the strangest thing ever given away in a magazine. And they had to provide water in a little plastic bottle? 

• Options
    Cos nobody ever has any access to water in the UK ?

I think its to keep you warm - so its not for hot weather - but rather for winter.

You'll be sweating anyway and that will make the fabric create warmth.

Er I think I need to test this. Sounds odd to me.
  • Options

Blimey!

forget trying to crack fusion, Mizuno have created a "heat generating" fabric - the world's energy needs are over!

I'm sure this will be on News At Ten later...

• Options

I've had a pair of tights in this fabric for a few years and in the coldest winter weather we get they are brilliant! 

• Options

Will this heat-generating property survive wash after wash? Or will it be like when Global Hypercolour t-shirts started to look a bit like someone had thrown up in a murky puddle after your mum put it on a hot wash.

• Options
    Aah global hypercolour. I remember that week they were cool ? That was the best.
  • Options

if you put a load of this into your washing machine at the same time, would it overheat your machine image

At first I thought that the material must react to something in sweat and that was why they included a special solution to test it with...but then read that the special solutions was just h2o image

• Options

So when a fabric get wetter it causing more friction and more heat. Hmmmm...would that be like chafing then? 

• Options

I have a top in this material and it doesn't chafe, very light and breathable but warm, great for winter. Think of it as a thin airy top that can still keep you warm on a very cold day without layering up.

• Options

Thanks Frog. That tells me far more than a bit of material and a funny bottle of water. Mizuno should try a bit of plain English.

• Options

What i actually want to know is what creates the heat or where it comes from?

Heat is energy - you can change energy from one form to another - but creating it takes some kind of nuclear reaction doesn't it?

So where does the heat (energy) come from?

It's supposed to never wear out.

Have Mizuno solved the world's energy crisis?

Is this product the cure to global warming?

I need answers.

• Options

I understand that, like merino, the yarn fibres expands/contracts when wet (can't remember which) and the friction of the individual fibres rubbing against each other produces the heat. I got mine at a big discount at Reading Half and thats what the Mizuno guy told me happens.

• Options

I have 3 of these tops and they're great. Okay, Mizuno's explanantion and technical gargon is awful, but don't be put off of these, they're great. I find I can wear them as a single layer, even on very cold days, which is great cause I hate being restricted wearing multiple layers.