Virgin marathon ballot scam

12346»

Comments

• No quote, no edit. It's impossible to make sense on this forum!

• Don't quote me on this as I have not seen it myself but my mate who lives in Holland tells me that tour companies there offer packages including travel, accomadation and entry for London Marathon, he says when they advertise he will let me know the costs as it could work out cheaper than a bond place

• Certainly. There's a list if them on the VMLM website here http://london-marathon.s3.amazonaws.com/lm/pdfs/2014_tour_operators.pdf

Don't forget your overseas passport or driving license when you go to pick up your number though. 

• To be honest I am not that desperate to run London and pay through the nose, there are easier and cheaper ways, but I thought it strange that you could "buy" a ticket this way

• I you're collecting data for the conspiracy theory, I entered the ballot for the first time  last year, selected the option to bequeath & was unsuccessful. My wife entered the ballot for the first time this year, selected the option to bequeath & was successful in the secondary draw. Seems pretty random to me & skews the theory that nobody gets in via this method.

• I got a place last year after donating my fee and it would be interesting to know whether my success who due to getting a "normal" ballot entry or did I go into the extra 1000 places.  Anyone know if there was a way to tell?

Did not donate this year and did not get in - but I'd barely finished my VLM application before I was signing up for Brighton instead!  Was a bit releived I did not have to do bothimage

There are no scams or conspiracy theories.  Honestly!  The only thing I believe MAY happen is that the ballot weights some entries as slightly more likely to get in that others, due to requiring a steady flow of runners (as someone mentioned above) and wanting both male & female runners of all ages entering.  So I would not be surprised if they weight, for example, a 70+ female runner’s entry higher than a 30 year old male’s entry.  (I was secretly expecting my 65 year old neighbour to get a place in fact!). Some say weightings change each year depending on the previous field but I am not going to bother whether or not that is true or how that affects me or anyone else. 

• Today, while sorting out a box of junk I found last years runners pack from ex-cel, I had to defer after picking up all the bits, I realised I had timing chip, number etc. so phoned LM for guidance, nice lady said to throw it all in bin as new numbers were issued (checked and yes my number I different than last year) so asked why? she said that each year they select about 39,000 random numbers from about55,000 so not all numbers are available each year?? What?? She then said "sorry" and hung up 

• Kind of makes sense. Sponsors logos and years change. They're not going to re use a number that you have just to save 20p or so in cost but extra labour costs.
  • MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    If they used the same numbers every year then people would just turn up and run the next years race without officially entering.
  • Am now thinking, shall I sell the old pack on a social network site, the buyer would not know they are a year out of date, or should I use them myself and defer 2014s entry to 2015? Hard choice