Sunday 20th October

...to all the people who can quest like a tribe does

What Abingdon
Why Because I can
Lyrics Yes we can Blisters

Packed and ready to go only to find that someone had unplugged my Garmin charger grrrrrrr

Excited? Me? you bet.

see you later hopefuly Blisters.

cool runnings peeps.

Comments

• Morning.

Have a great one postie and Blisters - anyone else racing?

Looks a little windy here but it's dry. Feeling slightly apprehensive about my first proper long run for over a month.

What:           LSR
    Why:            I have a marathon in two months
    Last hard:    13/10
    Last rest:      27/9

Lyrics - not today.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Morning!

Hope you have a successful day, Postie and Blisters!

Lyrics: no

What: 30 mins plus, easy and off road, I hope
    Why: depends if the legs want to play

Back later.

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Lovely. The rain has arrived to join the wind.

• Afternoon!

What: 30 mins, no more, no less.
    Why: Would have liked to do more, but legs not really interested, particularly the "good" one. More stretching needed!

Very mild, little wind and no rain. Just grey cloud.

And talking of Garmins, mine is currently being very erratic, losing the satellite too frequently, even on courses where it has worked in the past. Any thoughts? (Garmin 110)

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • 15 miles d&d. Dodged the showers.

Will look in later for reports

• It had stopped raining by the time I'd digested my breakfast enough to run - 20.5 miles - nice to have the first 20 miler in the bank.

I thought postie or Blisters would have reported in by now image

• Gloating post

What 26.2 miles

Why to set a new pb

Lyrics I most certainly did

Came in with 2:49:57, 2:02 off my pb from London this year in spite of slipping over with only 600m to go! 

Suffered grazes to both elbows right knee and buttock. Sadley no photos available.

Met with Blisters both before and after the race but I'll let him tell his own story.

Full report tomorrow when the house is quieter.

• DustinDustin ✭✭✭

hi, 
    top result postie, well done. Gloating understandable.
    Paddy/LmH - good long runs
    What - 12.5 miles steady over the fields. Torrential rain, thunder, lightening. Excellent conditions. Fields softening up nicely!
    Why - trying to build mileage
    last rest - Friday
    last hard - todays run after yesterdays xc wasn't easy.

• Well done postie - hope the consequences of the fall aren't too bad.

• Nice one Postie! Well done! 

• What: muddy walk along the coast (about 7-8 miles)
    Why: had planned to rest but it was too nice a day to do nothingimage
    (short run tomorrow then plan is to do no more than keep the legs ticking over before Saturday. Out every evening for RNLI Casulty Care Course so not much chance for anything else)
    Lyrics: no idea

Kinda exhilarating Dustin image

PP Oops!

• RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Well done Postie, much deserved

day 2 of coaching course done, day 3 on Dec 08th, brain dead

6.5m run

Take care

• Abingdon Marathon: a tough day out. Or, what went wrong?

Nice to see Postie and Foxy Lady at the start. Both did very well. Also, both Postie and I were able to borrow a new TomTom GPS for the event. It seemed to work Ok, not as feature packed as the FR305, but waterproof. Some neat touches. Good price. You need to keep logging into a PC as far as I gather.

Training said that 3:15 was on the cards. I was in better condition than at Stratford (3:24).

I knew that the first few miles were downhill, so handbrakes at dawn. In truth I felt OK, maybe pushing just a little bit, but this is the big day out. Keep focussing on the pace. Halfway was 1 minute ahead of target. OK. Keep the focus. Keep the pace. A very, very slight up grade saw the HR rise for the constant-ish pace. At mile 18 there was a little corner, another teeny up-grade, and WHAP for the first time in 20 marathons I slammed directly into the famous wall. 30s per mile added on. By 20 miles it was 60s a mile. I was taking walk breaks. Knees hurting, calves hurting. Not aching. Not tired. HURTING. Mile 25 was my slowest at 12:11.
    Finally, the line appeared after 3:33:31. A bad day at the office. Get over it. Anyway, I can’t walk properly right now, and it's not an injury. It's calfs and knees.

Why did it go titsup?
    1-Training. Not enough mileage. Yeah I did the 20s, even doing the last few at decent pace.
    2-Footwear. I’ve just gone on to Asics DS Trainers. Fast they are. If you keep your form, they are great. Start heel clumping and it’s going to produce calf cramps, knee pains, and generally a bad situation.

So. Recovery. Starting with learning how to do stairs. Then, a new target. No idea what yet.

• Sorry you didn't get what you hoped for, Blisters: you know better than most what a cruel distance the marathon can be. There will be others, on better days: I hear the weather wasn't great (would have been perfect in the north-west...no consolation!) I like your philosophy: get over it and move on.

• TRTR ✭✭✭

Blisters - well toughed out, you were always going to be in for a tough day, you put in a few long runs but no where near enough volume, you knew that and I think that you kind of like it that way. Myself, I like the fact that you take on these challenges a bit under cooked and give it a bash, and I like the fact that you are back around on here. Combining a bit of swim/bike/run and running a 1/2 decent mara is a tough act to juggle. 

• The weather was perfect, don't listen to the doomsayers and excuse makers. We live in the UK. The major rain had cleared. It wasn't cold, it wasn't hot. It wasn't what you'd call a challenging wind. There was a little breeze at times. There was a little bit of cooling drizzle, but not enough to get soaked and cold. Sorry, no excuses there.

• DonaldoDonaldo ✭✭✭

postie - well done, great run.

blisters, I feel for you, sounds hellish.  Sounds like you'll do it again though, unlike me!

Out for 7 miles late tonight, decent run, quite pleased.

Lyrics - aye!

• Blisters, feel your pain somewhat, but the right attitude in moving on. Ultimately you'll think of it as another marathon ticked off as the years roll by and forget the time.

FRA relays today, wild and windy out on leg 1 but thankfully not the clag and hail that greeted most at the top of Moel Eilio. We were never expecting to win it so we all treated it as a fun day out and the relaxation helped us all come through with some very decent legs, though nothing to trouble the leading guys and girls.