Challenge Weymouth

2»

Comments

• I don't think Henley wanted it anymore which was the major issue.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • GavoGavo ✭✭✭

If Challenge do say that there will be closed roads, take that with a pinch of salt.  They told us the roads at Challenge Vichy would be closed (or as much as possible) and they were far from it.

Other than that, though, the organisation at Vichy was superb & if they can replicate that at Weymouth then you'll get a great race.

• Oh BTW

I just got this email from the organisers:

Hi John

Thanks very much for your email.  I hope the lovely swmbo will say yes! 

It would be great to have the Pirates racing with us again at Weymouth.  Who should I speak to, to discuss a Club price option?

Thanks

Philippa Morgan

Operations and Communications Manager

Just Racing (uk) Ltd

• I think Weymouth has the potential to be a great location and a brilliant event but im slightly hesitant about the Challenge event.

There is no doubt it was well organised in Henley but finishing in the 15 hour window there were literally half a dozen people at the finish, apart from the guy on the mike and the person who gave me my medal the others were pirates.  Its such a shame other competitors don't hang around and make it a party.  For £350 I expect something more at the finish. 

My major gripe with Henley was the closed roads set-up.  Closed roads are not by any means ideal if implemented in the way Henley was (im assuming they had limited options).

Henley bike course was more or less a Y shape, nearly all the course was switch backs with riders in both directions.  With some of the course being on narrow uneven roads, some parts in dark shade from trees, I found it a little dangerous and disconcerting. 

Until the field thinned out there were people over taking in both directions, sometime even three abreast in both directions.  This was further compounded by waved starts and Henley Half starting an hour after the full race.  I had the leaders racing past me at 30, 40 mph in parts.  It only takes one mistake, one wobble reaching for a bottle and you've a nasty accident.

Thinking about it ill send them this feedback.

• I'm sure I read somewhere it was going to be "partially closed roads". Closed roads would be nice but I'm not too fussed either way.

The price isn't cheap but nobody made me pay it. I'm not going to whinge about it now - but if we can get a pirate discount that would be splendid! Last year Just Racing gave me a refund after I'd paid the full amount as soon as the event opened.

• Entertainment is second to none.

Hell yeah. Pi$$es all over Rio and New York does Weymuff. Although I'd have to say Slough would run it pretty close If the Three Tuns has a meat draw on.

As you were.

• Ahh Weymouth! I was born there and my family still live 15 miles down the road.

I will definitely be there to support.

• I'm in. My first Tri since 1990! Thought I would go long and work backwards as getting older.
  • this is on the list of possibles for me and him in doors next year ,

• Oh go on Postie, you know you want to.... I'm already in.

• BI it all depends on what dates the ETU middle and long distance champs are!