A year without social media.

2»

Comments

• kittenkat wrote (see)

MC, I did a 4yr B.Ed hons from 89-93 and then lived there for the next 4 years as I taught in Looe. I was in a flat just off Mutley Plain for a while and my mate owned one of the pubs on the plain.

I was also in Peverell for a while and Plympton. And my now husband lived in Widewell.

I've had many a good night down the Barbican! I also worked the bar in the Admiral McBride all through my student life. full of alcoholic fishermen. Rough as rats, we kept a baseball bat behing the bar; but I loved it!

remember the Admiral McBride well!

Ah yes.... the Barbican.... got thrown out of the Ship a few times....  I went back revently, and they've gone and gentrified the whole place.... all wine bars now.... no more filthy back streets, Sutton harbour is all posh without dead seaguls floating in it, and Captain Jaspers has a food hygiene certificate on display.... image

lets be honest.... its all prep for an Ironman on my 100th birthday
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭

KK - I used to live in 55 Alma Rd when I was at Uni.

• I used to live in a pub in a village called Tillet in Hertfordshire                                                                                                                                                                                      Two Cocks Inn,                                                                                                            Tillet,                                                                                                                            Herts

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭

Yeah, very classy place image

Captain Jasper's was great though, or at least it seemed like it was great after a few too many!

• don't remember the pub.... but do remember Pennys on Union Street near Star of the West

What about the James St Vaults!

lets be honest.... its all prep for an Ironman on my 100th birthday
  • are you still here ? 

What a great way to start sending your Christmas cards out, then Easter then happy summer holidays !

enjoy the freedom from cyber space

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭

I also much prefer Exeter to Plymouth now, but I enjoyed my time as a student in Plymouth. It's totally different there now as the campus seems to have expanded massively as well as Barbican getting a facelift. 

JSV and Kitty's were our favourite places, as well as the Student Union as it was cheap. I remember one beer festival they had on and it was carnage in the union with all the students not being able to handle the 6-10% ale. I also remember one of my mates getting into a spot of bother with some naval guy in some shit hole on Union Street.

I'm talking 95-99. 

• The Dolhpin and The Minerva are still totally unchanged i am happy to report the rest of the Barbs is ponced up or theme pubbed and Union Strasa is totally grim nowdays

• My heart will

kittenkat wrote (see)
    Ridgebackmax wrote (see)

The Dolhpin and The Minerva are still totally unchanged i am happy to report the rest of the Barbs is ponced up or theme pubbed and Union Strasa is totally grim nowdays

The Dolphin can't change, it's surely one of the 10 commandments.

kittenkat wrote (see)
    Ridgebackmax wrote (see)

The Dolhpin and The Minerva are still totally unchanged i am happy to report the rest of the Barbs is ponced up or theme pubbed and Union Strasa is totally grim nowdays

The Dolphin can't change, it's surely one of the 10 commandments.

My heart will die a little if it ever doesimage

• kittenkat wrote (see)

Mon, I've completely hijacked this thread, sorry but it's kind of funny since you're leaving social media. image

Don't about it, it is the way of all threads. ( not you specifically, well you know what I mean).

Red Stripe 20th November is my first day away from social media. I am looking forward to it. So far I have 28 friends  prepared to take up the pen and write back.

• For me the letter writing is ok when you're not communicating with friends and relatives in other countries, post is just too slow going back and forth between Europe, Japan, Oz and the good old U.S. of A.

• Yes, it  is a slow way of communicating. I have been giving this a lot of thought though and realise that all "forum" style talk is to a set of people rather than an individual. Letter writing is private and intimate and aimed solely at one person. Private messaging is the same as texting and telephone and I'm not giving up the phone, so  instant communication is still there. 

I will find out if the way we write to each other  has changed with the advent of social media. On Facebook, even with privacy settings and friends you "know" I communicate in a certain, for public, way.Certain topics are never discussed, and a jokey persona is maintained. That makes it sound like I will be writing Morrissey style angst ridden tombs. I just think,theories more scope for variation in a personal letter.

• I went off to travel foR a year in Africa where if lucky I got post every 4-8 weeks at a Poste Restante ( post office) that I had to collect and hope letters had been held.

Still have a number of hand written and typed letters from my dad which mean even more now he's gone.

he turned mundane daily life into something exotic without me feeling homesick ! I also enjoyed sending letters then reading them back with my parents and boyfriend now husband years later.

• guess you've gone now , good luck , everyone should own a fountain pen

• I love Mon. I received my first letter today and in true Facebook/Twitter form... She included a picture of her lunch! image