Not taken seriously

2»

Comments

• I can't say I get a huge amount of support or encouragement but I'd hope deep down she is quite proud.

At the minute, she doesn't want me to do IMUK as she thinks I'll do myself some harm so any disagreements we're having is only her trying to protect me, in her eyes!!

• TRTR ✭✭✭

my tuppence worth....just an opinion (so please dont flame me)..............

....the way I see it is that endurance sports are selfish and your families done (usually) ask you to do them, so you need to keep it all in balance and try to hide as much of it as possible in early morning, commutes, lunchtimes etc...I have a self imposed limit of 3hrs on a long run or ride meaning that I dont eat to much into weekend time.........I respect the fact that everyone is entitled to a bit of "me" time and that sports are good for keeping you healthy, but long distance endurance sports are taking you beyond that.......I rarely mention my training at home or work.

• Reading all this I know how truly lucky I am, my OH is also a triathlete and we have no kids, so neither of us have a problem with going out training, many times we swim and bike together, usually do the same races too. Run training is done separately purely because I can't keep up with him and we also have 2 dogs that need exercising - so each of us takes one out on our training runs except when his job takes him away for a few days, then of course I run with both dogs.

We do each have separate interests as well, I am involved in dog training so our dogs get plenty of work to keep them healthy and happy. OH is happy tinkering about with the bikes or doing mountain biking. We share the household chores except that I cook almost always - but then he does the dishes! It's all about finding your way as a couple and realising it is absolutely ok for one to have an interest the other doesn't.

• thanks for the input guys and gals, I suppose deep down I just want her to be involved, someone I can share it with. at present because I'm just starting out I'm training on my own so it's all kinda new...or maybe I'm just being selfish lol, but I'll definetly take on board what's been advised....apart from divorce and trading in for a new bikeimage

• I encouraged my hubby toi run a few years after i took it up...........and then for years i had to take it in turn to do races whilst the other stayed at home.....

Its a pain when its your favourite race but its your OH's turnimage

but like all relationships its finding the right balance for you as a couple/ familyimage

• Mrs Cat recently gave up protesting and started to run (that might not read how it was meant!image ). Since the house move work etc are closer so as well as her running and swimming she has started to cycle again too.

Slippery slope...