Options

Cyclist Safety

Comments

• Options
    skottyskotty ✭✭✭

Boris stirs up the iPod debate:

"Boris Johnson, the mayor of London, has said he will consider the possibility of banning cyclists from wearing headphones, following a spate of deaths in the capital.

Six cyclists have been killed on London's roads in the past two weeks.

Speaking on BBC London radio, Johnson said headphones were an "absolute scourge" and it was "absolutely nuts" to wear them while cycling.

He went on: "I'm very alarmed about cyclists wearing headphones. I would not be against a prohibition or ban on cyclists wearing headphones.

"Call me illiberal but it makes me absolutely terrified to see them bowling along unable to hear the traffic.""

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/nov/19/boris-johnson-considers-banning-cyclists-headphones

• Options

Well I agree with him because it's common sense - but is there any evidence that any the recent deaths were caused by the cyclists wearing headphones?

This piece makes it sound as if headphones are "the problem" an the banning of them "the solution" when it's obviously more complicated than that.

• Options
    WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭
    Flat Footed wrote (see)

Safest helmet to wear - the long blond pony tail.

Was a test a few years back that showed cars gave most room and passed safely when the rider had a long blond pony tail

I feel a visit to the Dragons' Den coming on!

• Options
    skottyskotty ✭✭✭

comments section seems very familiar. seems there is not a lot of common sense around:

"I cycle regularly to and from work in central London whilst wearing headphones. I find i need the music to sufficiently motivate me to keep going, frankly I’m unsure if i would have the fitness or motivation to cycle otherwise."

"Quick question - does this mean the deaf aren't allowed to cycle then?"

plus of course everyone is only listening to music a little bit, they're completely aware of everything going on around them.

no mention of allowing the ambulance through though.

but I agree, unless it is a cause of one of the recent accidents it is only a diversion to mention it now.

• Options
    XX1XX1 ✭✭✭

I wonder if cyclists bothering to obeying the Highway Code would improve their safety...

• Options

Boris practicing what he preaches...

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2009/4/7/1239117467627/Boris-Johnson-cycling-in--002.jpg

• Options
    TankDriver wrote (see)

I wonder if cyclists bothering to obeying the Highway Code would improve their safety...

Anyone order an idiot image

• Options
    Yes cos I've never had to report a taxi for dangerous driving. Oh wait - yes I have.

Some cyclists are idiots.

Some drivers are idiots.

It's stupid to tar them all with one brush.
  • Options
    The Guardian need to read what he said. "I would not be against prohibition". How is that "I want to ban them."

This is getting ridiculous. The media frenzy trying to pit motorists against cyclists is doing nothing to promote the shared space attitude we need.

The cyclists are being run over by lorries. Shouldn't we be concentrating on getting a group of cyclists together with a group of lorry drivers and telling them to slow down and be more careful?
  • Options
    Ian MIan M ✭✭✭

The Guardian need to read what he said. "I would not be against prohibition". How is that "I want to ban them."

He's changed his tune a bit..

http://www.bikereader.com/contributors/johnson/mobilephone.html

• Options
    No there needs to be education on BOTH sides. As Cougie said both parties can act like idiots and both can cause dangerous situations - even fatal. If a cyclist goes on the left hand side of a lorry they cannot see them. The HGV companies are doing their bit and adding sensors and extra mirrors to their vehicles. Every new vehicle that is made has to have these inbuilt. Sure this isn't the be all and end all but their needs to be education on the cyclists side too.

I'm not going against my love of cycling but have been cyclist and a driver in London and refuse to believe it's all the lorry drivers fault.

The saying stands - it takes two to tango.
  • Options
    XX1XX1 ✭✭✭
    Flat Footed wrote (see)
    TankDriver wrote (see)

Anyone order an idiot image

Getting crushed under a lorry doesn't look too smart either does it image

• Options

I heard a discussion on R2 this afternoon about just this, one guy who called in said

'If I ever find myself in a situation whereby I could be squashed by a lorry or a car, regardless of fault or right of way, I back off'

I would think that this was quite a sensible approach to take, you are never going to win as a cyclist in any circumstance.  I do appreciate tho sometimes it is not easy to take yourself out of that situation

• Options

Many people would be amazed how much work many companies do to educate their drivers as to regards the risks of cyclists, and vice versa. 

Here is is just one example of many......

http://www.cemex.co.uk/cemex-cyclist-safety-initiative.aspx

in my job I come across things like this a lot and it is surprising just how many companies do things like this. 

it is a shame that on the news websites and on twitter this topic generally seems to attract the two retarded extremes - the drivers who think every cyclist has a death wish and rides like a twat, or the cyclist who thinks every lorry driver gets a kick out of running cyclists over. The reasoned middle ground (such as many opinions voiced on here) does not seem to get any air time. 

The idiot on BBC breakfast the other day who got interviewed claimed that it was fine for cyclists to jump red lights as they might be a bit scared and that is the only reason they ever do it (hahahahahahahahaha) is prime example of someone with the potential to do more harm than good. 

• Options

That sounds like the common sense I wish we heard more often M…eldy and totally agree TheExile!

• Options
    • Arm all cyclists with guns.
    • Encourage cyclists to jump red lights if they think it is safer, but mount sniper turrets to take them down at junctions if they do.
    • Ban left turns (or make them do it from the right hand lane - see turns in Melbourne due to trams being in the way)
    • Ban Radio2 - it is just too angry at lunch time.

• Options

Meface - were you at Baker Street underground earlier this evening (Tuesday)

• Options

You might have seen him in Hyde Park corner stood on a wooden box Schmunks? image

• Options

I commuted in London for many years and for the most part I loved it.  Most traffic was respectful and patient.  The occasional issue came mostly because people either assumed I was slower on a bike than they expected or they didn't look for cyclists.  

The random left turn going with the car that overtook then turned left.  The passenger who bailed out of the car at a roundabout without looking (ouch that one hurt). The cars in stationary traffic who then flashed the car waiting to turn right from the opposite direction (they probably thought they were being nice and doing them a favour without ever considering cyclists who were not held up by the traffic or making progress in the bus lane on the near side).  But I genuinely think those were the idiots, not deliberately malicious.

i learned to assume that no one saw me, and everyone was an idiot.  Never ever ride up the near side of a bus or lorry.  Hold my ground and believe I deserved more of the road than just the gutter.  Temporarily Close any potential gaps that cars may see as overtaking points that I knew would be unsafe and always watch out for pedestrians (many more close shaves with them than vehicles).

I still love cycling in London and often take the bike up there.  Managing perception, Education, confidence and experience is the key.  Competition for space is fierce.  We all need to act responsibly.  In attitude as well as behaviour.

I feel The media are just stirring up a flight at the moment.  And sadly the last time I was there I experienced much more aggression from drivers than ever before.  But I still feel much more in control of my safety in London than I ever do when out in the country lanes of Surrey.

• Options
    Schmunks I wasn't at Baker St. Tube, I was on the loo at that time and provide witnesses to that effect.

It would have to be a strong box for me to stand on it.

Seriously though left turns from right hand lanes may work. Or reduce the number of left turns.

Until they get a decent cyclist to plan cycle Cycle routes they will remain unusable, they are in the main compromised for speed and give priority to crossing traffic. Most of the time it is safer on the road. I don't know any cycle track That works well.
  • Options

The Exile.  I don't know if you're aware of the history of your story.  A cyclist was killed by a Cemex lorry some years ago.  Her mother tried all sorts of ways to highlight the problems without any, initial, success.  So she bought quite a few shares in the company and turned up at the company AGM as a shareholder and started asking, from the floor, some very awkward and pertinent questions.  Fortunately, the board listened to her and her tragic story (they had to as I think the press were present!) and she was either invited or voted onto the board to deal with their road safety issues.  As a result Cemex lorries have to comply with ALL the latest safety innovations.  Tragic story, but at least some good came of it.

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/public/cyclesafety/article3307660.ece

• Options
    I remember reading about that.
  • Options

It was featured on the Road wars programme a few months back as well

• Options

Out of interest what do people on here count as a HGV?

Loads of stuff in the media on France banning them and calls for it here but i wonder what the restriction is? Guessing 4 tonne plus vehicles

• Options
    meface wrote (see)
    • Arm all cyclists with guns.

I would love a gun some morning. You didn't signal *bang* Luckerly for us all that sort of thing is not allowed for some reason.

Flat Footed wrote (see)

It was featured on the Road wars programme a few months back as well

Yes saw it it was quite unsetting when you think about it. the mum was brillant through.

• Options

Good story. Not practical for most people, of course!

• Options
    My view of a problem HGV is the tipper trucks. As a car driver they are predominantly the trucks that I see speeding and tailgating. Unfortunately they are also the trucks that need to be on the roads at that time as they're taking demolition and excavation waste from building sites.
  • Options

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-24998730

worth a look - i like the elevated cycling route idea image

• Options