Hours long turbo sessions, do you watch tv or music?

2»

Comments

• Had to do 5 hours on a treadmill once last big run before London marathon, omg never again, the heat!!

• Heat is one problem I don't have on my turbo.
    I use it when I don't want to go outside. Cold, pouring down, blowing a hoolie, pitch black. All good reasons. I did 2.5 hours on Saturday, which equated to one feature film on DVD, with sound fed through earphones.

I'll aim for a certain wattage output for the main zone, but every 15 minutes I'll increase resistance (or change up to top cog) and climb a hill for 5 minutes. 10 flat, 5 climb. That way it's not quite as tedious. However, the miles are certainly further, due to the lack of downhills.

The great advantage is that I can start off with lots of warm clothing layers, and peel them off as the ride progresses, just dumping them to one side! However, the company isn't as good as on a group ride, and the wife keeps wandering past wishing I was doing something useful.

• Where do you turbo blisters ? I'm in shorts and a top in an unseated garage. And I need a fan !
  • if anyone is into electronic music to turbo to - house music is usually pretty good as it has fast beats - then I found this newish streaming service yesterday - Digitally Imported - http://www.di.fm/

you can play via a webpage or download an iOs or Android app - I hard some hard house banging away on the speakers in the garage on last nights #turbovember hour long session

Cougie - you should like "scouse house" I reckon!!

• AvalafAvalaf ✭✭✭

So is an hour at 70% WHR any good or just wasting time?

• wasting time imho Ava - you need to vary the effort during the sessions.  get some Sufferfest videos and see how they work - that will give you a good idea of how turbo sessions should be done.

juts sitting there spinning away for a long time is just dull anyway but no harm in doing it from time to time

• Scouse House ? Who knew there was such a thing ??

Ta for the link FB - and +1 for Sufferfest.
  • I'd never come across scouse house before - must have a listen....

#RA RA bang bang bang bang RA RA bang .........   image

• Just bought a turbo and set up in our summer house, which is currently at about -1 with no heating. Its going to take a while to warm up in there!

• I reckon about freezing is ideal, I normally keep a short sleeved cycling top on at that temp unzipped pretty much all the way just to keep the direct chill from the fan off me plus the pockets are somewhere to put the ipod.   Definitely get a fan btw, it just takes the sweat away so it doesn't wreck the bike and you can usually get more power out for the same perceived effort.    

• I have the fan off to one side - I still sweat but the sweat mainly misses the bike.

Turboing in the house would be a very soggy affair for me - the garage is cold and I have a jacket on just to warm up - but it soon comes off.
  • TJ1004TJ1004 ✭✭✭

Same for me, fan to one side, short sleeved cycling top, freezing garage.

Like to turbo to Chrissie Ride harder or 3LC Hills session on dvd.

• sufferfest or this years entertainment was watching all the series of 24!  Sometimes I have no choice but to turbo, as I have young kids and the OH also doesTri. long turbo sessions are good for the mind.....well, that's what I keep telling myself

• TRTR ✭✭✭

I turbo in the garage which is separate from the house so its as cold in there as it is outside, just less windchill, I have gloves and overshoes on when its cold. No dvd's to look at either, I just look at the garage door and my HRM.

I have done 2 or 3 hour turbos before but have a 90min limit now and always do some sort of efforts based session. Whilst there is the argument that there are no roundabouts, traffic lights etc so turbo is worth more time, there isnt the head winds, accelerating back up after corners etc that can be tiring, so simply spinning away watching TV at low HRs is a waste of time IMO.  

• Omg gloves and overshoes ! Do you live at the north pole ?
  • First turbo since we moved. So in to the separate garage. Also in gloves and and overshoes. Within minutes I was down to just my shorts.

• I use spinervals but now have the tacx software which is great. Laptop set-up just below the TV. It is easy to see if HR or effort/watts/pace is off.

I have no problems watching films, sport or listening to music and keeping the effort up. Sure the film or sport may suffer during harder parts. Try watching rugby and picking the pace up when the ball out of play.

Quite happy on the turbo for 2-3 hours while the kids are in bed. Mine is permanenty set-up so just kit on and go. Unheated garage, normally jacket and hat/gloves to start. Hat/gloves off in

• minutes?

I don't have a fan in the garage, but I do have a towel wrapped around the top tube of the bike, and a spare towel on the work bench. On the less frosty days I've left the garage door open.

• So, Cougie is a cycling God, FB does house music, Some do gloves and overshoes on the turbot? WTF? Meface still has the best handle!

Well, FWIW, half hour is The Ramones on ipod and speakers. Hour is other shit as well, max resistance or hilly turbo is Ian Dury doing Fucking Ada which makes me laugh, more than an hour is a film on a DVD of some sci fi shite which I lurve.

Garage, cold, no fan, shorts and short sleeved top plus summer gloves.

And I have just discovered my turbo rear wheel has a puncture, I mean How the FUCK did that happen?

• I had a puncture on mine - I did wonder if it was heat related failure of the tube or something rather than from debris. Especially as mine never even leaves the turbo so would never have even rested or rolled on anything other than shiny turbo roller.

I would have thought that cycling on a turbot would have ended up a bit rank.

• a turbo puncture??  wtf???

but then I guess if Meldy can fall off a turbo then Dusty can get a puncture image

one thing not to turbo to is Eddie Izzard sketches - it's difficult to keep the pace going while pissing yourself laughing.

and for me - cold garage, no fan, shorts and short sleeve T does the trick.  with me and P turboing at the same time, it doesn't take long to warm the garage up....image

• My tyre never gets hot - but its an oooold turbo with a metal roller ?

I have had inner tubes blow just from being perished - maybe that is the explanation ?

Modern tyres are so much better than the older ones.

Love Eddie Izzard FB - I used to turbo to his audio cassettes back in the day.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭

Cougie - its as cold in there as it is outside, so regardless of how much steam I generate and how big a puddle I make, my hands and feet still freeze when its cold.

• Got a turbo recently and banged out 50 mins tonight. I'm at Uni couped up in my room and as I'm on the third floor my window only opens a tiny amount.

Needless to say it looked like I'd done a swim session, all I wore was shorts.

• Must admit, I never tried to turbo while laughing.

And, rather sadly, I once recorded a four degree rise in temperature in the garage from me pounding out the turbot. Wondered why they had temp on the Garmin. LOL.

Though I never figured out why my back hurts less on the turbot than out on the road. Hey ho.

• I wonder if I could turbo in every room in the house?

• Dustboy,

Do you sit up more (watching TV)

Move about more (drills seating/standing/hand position or fetching drinks from the side)

Is the front wheel raised up higher than level thereby raising handlebars

Less tense - not gripping bars as tight.

Possibly worth thinking about as you may be able to add to road ride position to help.

M.eface
  • The thought of more than an hour on a turbo would drive me mad.  Outside for me as much as possible, although working for myself means it's sometimes TOO easy to take the afternoon off for a ride ... image

• Had to get a turbo specific tire after the heat transfer started popping the inner tubes on the normal road tires, also didnt want to wear the good tires unnecessarily.  I turbo in a spare room, do focused heart rate sessions with varied resistance and do between 60 and 90 minutes.  Have to have music or else it would drive me insane and I tend to have something on the screen as well.  Heat is a problem and a fan will be needed in the new year.