IM Lanza and Wales

Comments

• debbodebbo ✭✭✭

the Mousey one is taking sense

good for you IF, but it is a big ask, doing well in 3 IM races in a year

I see you did IMW in 14 hours as a first - that's a good start image

are you very young or very old? image I'm guessing it is one of these, as they are the only sparsely entered age groups

oh, and Meldy monied? Haha! 

and Carl doesn't smoke KK, which if you hadn't alienated yourself from the pirates by being totally obnoxious you might know

• joddlyjoddly ✭✭✭

Evening.

Good question from Debbo - if you are old, then trying to squeeze in all 3 events will probably reduce your chance of qualifying because it takes longer than you expect to recover from one, especially if you've "raced" it. On the other hand I would thoroughly recommend doing the Outlaw bike leg (or swim/bike) in a relay team if you can change at this stage. Ah, just read back and that's what Mouse said too - well I agree!

I think Meldy probably has pots of money - but she does hide it pretty well.

Wouldn't like to comment on Barley - except to say he puts on a good show in transition image.

• Can I also clarify that I have never had SKY or any form of pay tv.
  • Thanks - I'm new to pirates and relatively new to IM so I hope this is a one off bad thread for me.

And I don't mind answering the questions. I did Wales in 14hrs at a rather reserved pace (and with doing 70miles of the bike with one leg as the other buckled) so bike should've been A LOT better. And to answer debbo and joddly's questions I am in the youngest category at 22. Swim is my background but not a bad cyclist and constantly improving my run. 

I completely agree with everything you're all saying and know that I may have to re-assess what I compete in given circumstances and how I feel. 

The only thing I would say about not wanting to give into Outlaw full solo too soon is that my niece went to university there and it was a promise to her that I would be there and stay with her - more of a sentimental Ironman than anything. But I am fully aware of my capabilities and will adjust if need be. Thanks all image

• TRTR ✭✭✭

What does it matter how folks chose to spend their money and whose business is it to comment upon that ? Some folks spend 1000s on Tri others (like me) dont, so what ? some folks train for hours, some dont, so what ?

IF - go for it and see how you get on. You dont have to smack the crap out of yourself in all of those races esp if you keep away from the red line a bit. See how it goes and how your body reacts. the run is the thing that beats folks up the most, but theres always the run/walk option.  

• So...there are denials that Barlos smokes and has SKY TV, but no one is denying he is fat and shit image

• Personally, I don't think he is shit for a fat blokeimage

• TR: Thanks - this post never really was about the money but seemed to have taken a turn.  

The run surprisingly doesn't phase me - I strangely enjoyed Wales (but then it was my first and I was on endorphins). I'll just have to listen to my body in 2014

• Given what you've said about wanting to be at Outlaw for sentimental reasons I think we may be hard pushed to disuade you otherwise, and that's fair enough.  I'd think about converting to a relay though, as a compromise.  It takes off the run, the bit that causes the most problems (as per TR's post above.)

What do you need to do in order to qualify?  What were the qualifying times for Lanza and Wales this year and last year? Consider if these are realistic objectives.  Some of our qualifying pirates worked for several years before making it to Kona.  Can you realistically make the leap from 14 hrs to qualify in one year?  If your legs were working properly, how long would it take you to TT 100 miles?  Have you ever run a marathon?  If yes, how long?  How do all these numbers add up?  How much work do you have to do? 

I don't mean to be negative, I'm trying to help with your planning. image

• I've got Sky but I'm not doing any IM races next year. I might take up smoking with the money I'll save.

I'm not sure there's too much point in discussing the races so far ahead. You've said Wales and Lanza are the A races - that makes sense. Let's see what you think about the Outlaw nearer the time. Things might change.
  • I would need to cut off 2 hours for Lanza given last years results which I believe is possible. And Wales is the same (I was third in my AG this year). 

I will give Kona qualification a good 2 years crack in my current AG and then may consider the Kona Inspired. My quickest 100mile was 5h47 and I have completed 4 marathons - quickest being 4h30. I aim to get this down to 4hrs after the swim and bike - so aiming for a 3h45 singularly. So yes a lot of work but not unrealistic I don't think

• Cougie makes a good point regarding Outlaw. 

I'm pleased you're thinking logically about it all. I'm not qualifying standard by a long way so can't really advise you about serious training. You need people like those on the new sub 10 thread. I do wish you the very best of luck. 

Night night. image

• Thanks image although don't think I'll be sub 10 standard! That's too far away dream and know my limitations!

Thanks for the advice and help though - watch this space!

Night! image
  • And yes very true Cougie (for some reason only just seen your posts). I'll assess outlaw nearer the time. If I just go to swim even support in a city that holds so much sentimentally then so be it.

Thanks all!
  • Amen to that nobody ever died from being shit and fat  (except for a large percentage of the shit fat and do fuck all brigade)image

• If you are hoing for the slot go hell for leather on the first IM you either get the slot or find your weaknesses if you didnt get it address your shortcomings and nail the second IM personally i would put emotions aside snd pull on Outlaw it will always be there next year its a distraction from your main goal additionally Wales and Lanza are tough tough races get in amongst some hills and train to be strong and fast in the hills a few weekends away in Snowdonia or the lakes would be good

• Holy mother of Dog, have you lost the full stop button on your keyboard, RBM?

• Fanny - the reason I mentioned the sub 10 thread was because these are the guys who want to qualify.  These are the guys who discuss how to push yourself that bit harder.  Discuss the hard sessions, the ways to make your faster. They may have ideas which you would find useful.

• There are 4 athletes in your AG at Lanza, so there will be one slot. You're up against Becky Hoare, who won her AG at IMUK70.3 and then did 10:30ish at Kona. There's always the possibility that she'll have a bad day, or not have the money (or desire) to take up her slot, but I wouldnt count on it. If she did, then Aimee Campbell, with her 11:33 at Kalmare this year, would be my bet to go.

I cant find a list of people entered for Wales next year, I dont think they've published it yet. But as you say, you need to take 2 hours off your time, and whilst a lot of that can come off the run, and as you say, the bike was suboptimal, I think you've still got a fair bit of work to do.

That doesnt mean its impossible, by any stretch, but here's my opinion. There are plenty of 18-24 year old girls who want to go to Kona. A lot of them are very quick, and they race smart. Outlaw doesnt get you any closer to Kona, and placed as it is in the year, I dont think you'll have sufficiently recovered from Lanza, and it'll be detrimental to your Wales attempt - I fully understand why you want to do it, but doing the whole race is not compatible with qualifying at Wales. Doing the swim+bike would be fine.
    Kona Inspired is a great program, but there's no guarantee it'll still be around in a couple of years - ditto the Legacy program. Inspired is also extremely competitive. I think your best shot is to train hard and focus your attempts at qualifiying races.

• wow what a thread,

yes I am doing Lanza and Wales next year, I did Wales last year.

Yes I am fat and shit and according to one of KK first posts of this thread "a dick"

I got quite inspired by the mousey one's journey last year.

I am not doing Outlaw but will be down on the feed station if we are having one.

I do have a half IM planned 5 weeks before Wales

I have a sort of training plan mapped out, but the question I have is how much time would other folk take off after Lanza, I have about 3 weeks of complete rest in my head before starting to build again

• kittenkat wrote (see)

actually be an elite as opposed to a complete dick?

Whoops got that wrong I'm "a complete dick"

• IF, thinking about Outlaw..

What about putting together a crack team to try and win the relay, either mixed or a ladies team?  This is something ive thought of suggesting before but havnt got round to it.

You are a good swimmer?  Chances are you could find a good cyclist and runner here to join you? 

Outlaw relay win is by no means a certainty but previous years times are not spectacular.  There are plenty of really good people on here. 

Far be it for me to suggest it but you could call the crack commando team:
    Pirates Attack Newbie Tri Stars image

• It's important to be accurate, SAimage

Rest-wise, again, my opinion, FWIW... it depends on a couple of things - what are your goals for each race, how long are they likely to take you, how much are they likely to take out of you. A complete break is good for psychological rest as well as physical, but personally I think 3 weeks is too long to be doing nothing. I would suggest easy/light training after no more than 2 weeks. As Carl alludes to above, what can sometimes be hard is the motivation to restart training for the subsequent races - for Wales there is obviously no need to repeat the 20 week buildup, as you wont be starting from the same basepoint as you will for Lanza, but you'll need to get in the position where you can do the important sessions from about 10-12 weeks out. If your endurance is there, the long bikes might not be the best use of your time - after Lanza, you'll have to assess where you're at in terms of the 3 disciplines and work out where you've most to gain in terms of speed vs endurance.
    In short, yes, plan a break, not too long, be flexible about your return, dont try to build up again too fast too soon. Hope that makes sense.

• I did look into who was in my AG - there was 2 at the time, Becky Hoare not being one of them. I began looking into the competition too much and got myself worried which this has again.

However, I'm going to give it my all - that's all I can do and if, which is seems like it might, not result in a slot I'll have gained experience and have had a holiday and break which I think I need.

I'll assess Outlaw again nearer the time, I can't just cancel due to the sentimental reasons behind it even though I know in my head I should - will continue to mull over the relay idea. Thanks for the advice
  • I did Lanza and Outlaw this year, I think there's 6 weeks between them? 

I was definately tired still from Lanza and hadn't done much training inbetween for one reason or another but I was using Outlaw to mark a birthday rather than to race it (although lets admit it, we always want a 'good' time!).

I was an hour slower at Outlaw this year than last year!  Though to be fair, the weather was pretty extreme ... but I think a lot of that was tiredness still from Lanza.  Still bloody loved it though image

You might have a better recovery time IF though being younger.  I do think there is a risk of the IM novelty wearing out doing one every other month for 5 months ...

And ... is there much difference between 'a dick' and 'a complete dick'?

•  

Fanny not being negative but getting a Kona slot from where you currently are us a huge call one of my cornish friends went for it basically had to change her lifestyle gave up full time employment and it took over her life she got there but the effort was massive and she was already a shit hot triathlete i really wish you well and hope you get there but one way or the other i am sure your Niece would be so proud and you  will have a great time going for it.image

Mouse whats a full stop?

• A full stop is what I plan to do after Wales

• Flyway, thanks for the advice sounds just what I need to do, my goals on any IM is just about finishing and trying to enjoy it all, I did try for a PB at Outlaw this year but the heat on the run put paid to that.

• image how many of us did longer run times than bike times, lol image