Flip Turn

2»

Comments

• I've lost count of the number of times I have told Barlos to 'push off and swivel'. image
  • SlugsSlugs ✭✭✭

Keep practising. it takes many, many sessions, now is the perfect time to get the technique sorted, in the closed season. I was self taught many seasons ago & I still regular get it wrong. It will stand you in good stead if you want to train with a masters swim club or even a tri club.

In 15 years of Tri I have done many pool tris & not one has banned tumble turns.

• I used to tumble turn when I wen to a masters sesion

IMO tumble turns Are good in swim races and masters sessions ok(ish) when you have the lane to yourself ... Other than that you just look like the twat in the pool

• I did them again today, was pretty consistent.. kept going straight over which is great! the turning feels a little weird. It feels more comfy to turn on the push off, but I don't think that is correct technique. Going again tomorrow, so will keep practicing.

• WildWill wrote (see)

I used to tumble turn when I wen to a masters sesion

IMO tumble turns Are good in swim races and masters sessions ok(ish) when you have the lane to yourself ... Other than that you just look like the twat in the pool

I wouldn't say anyone will look like a twat tumbling in a pool.  

keep practicing it gets easier and you will keep messing them up. We all do!  Well done on your progress so far Dibs

• Doozer. wrote (see)
    WildWill wrote (see)

I used to tumble turn when I wen to a masters sesion

I wouldn't say anyone will look like a twat tumbling in a pool.  

keep practicing it gets easier and you will keep messing them up. We all do!  Well done on your progress so far Dibs

You mean you've never heard the phrase "Look at that twat" in the pool as someone points at a tumbler in a busy lane .... Must be the ear plugsimage

• Not personally, as I dont have to swim in public sessions - plus im more interested in my own swimming and going faster than worrying about what cr@p swimmers think

• SlugsSlugs ✭✭✭

They might think it, they may even say it, but they'll often give you more space. Its normally those that cant tumble that think it. Been called worse.

Discussed one night in the pool many years ago, with a few keep fit swimmers, why an ex triathlete now a gold paralympian, was wearing a 'nipple warmer' referring to him similarly (it was a heart rate monitor chest strap). It him that's got the golden post box now! image.

Keep practising the tumbles.

• Doozer. wrote (see)

Not personally, as I dont have to swim in public sessions - ...

I'm so jealous

The only time I get to enjoy my swimming is OW season  

• But being quite frank tho ... its quite typical where I swim for around 6 people (of mixed ability) to be in a lane

If someone is doing tumbles in that situation, they quiet often end up kicking people on the turn .. once can be an accident , twice is careless more and they are an arse-whole .. in that case they should not object when I swim over them to pass ... after all I am just focusing on going faster   

• I agree with all stated. I will tumble for sure if I have a large enough gap and no one is at the other end hanging about! Maybe if there is one tucked in the corner and I have asked/warned them before hand.

I have been on the receiving end of a tick/splash or two and would hate to do that to anyone. Fine to do for a bit of fun (I am addicted now I can do it!!). But not necessary for training and worth destroying someone else'e experience or nose (worse case scenario)

• Having said that, the man in my lane was so annoying today.. breast stroke in the medium/fast lane, which made the rest of us (4 others) have to try and negotiate swimming around him.