Options

10 year old son 5k time - 20min 3 seconds

Hi, my son recently ran a 5k with his football team (slightly shorter than 5k due to the route).  He is 10 years old and really loves sports (football, hockey, cross country).  We thought his time of 20mins 3 seconds was good but having had a look on the internet seems it is a really good time for his age.  He ran most of the route alone as his team mates fell behind and he had a quite a cold at the time.  At the end he wasn't out of breath or tired - he hadn't particularly pushed himself so we are sure he could easily do it faster.  Thoughts?  Is this a good time for a 10 year old boy? 

Comments

• Options

Rubbish. He should be beating 20 minutes just to be average. You must be so ashamed.

• Options

Ignore him, he's always grouchy.image

The only real way of determining it is if he has a time over an approved distance with proper published times, as unfortunately many are often mismeasured and sometimes mistimed.

Try signing him up for your local parkrun. They are free, weekly 5k runs which are operated up and down the country. http://www.parkrun.org.uk That will give you a much better idea of where his time is at for his age range as they also give an "Age Graded" percentage - which basically says he is faster than x% of the people in his age range in the world.

• Options
    Yep get him down to the local parkrun. Most adults cant do that in 20 mins.
  • Options
    MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Agreed, get him down to parkrun, get him to run it as fast as he can and then everyone can give decent feedback.
  • Options

Get him racing against other 10 year olds at races that 10 year olds are doing. Grouchy? image

• Options

What the others have said - but let him take the lead if it's something he wants to do, don't go piling expectations on him.

• Options
    PipskiPipski ✭✭✭

Ignore Sussex, he's so lazy.  He's only ran 11 marathons, last one was a rubbish 3:03 and I'm sure if he tried to race a 10K, by the time we all sneezed, he'd probably be finished.  Grouch image

• Options

I'd say that'a a great time for a 10 yo. If you look at the runbritain site they have rankings for parkrun times for different ages. At my local one a 9 yo girl ran 20:21 and that was considered pretty exceptional. Sign him up for a club if he's keen (although they won't have him running 5k at 10 as that is considered too long a distance to 'race' for that age - parkrun get away with having juniors as it's not considered a race)

• Options

How was the course measured? and how short was it - if you know the actual distance you may work out how fast he could have run 5K.

• Options

Naughty girl Pipski. Let's leave our pillow talk out of thisimage

• Options

you won't find many other times to compare as apart from park runs children that young are not allowed to run those distances...they concentrate on shorter distances.....

• Options

Thanks for all the interesting replies!  I will look up park run.  I believe the distance was just over 4.5k as it was round a local park.  He was running with boys his age, about 20 boys from his football team all aged 10.  He finished several minutes before the second boy.  He is interested in running, doing cross country with his primary school and came 4th in a regional final when he was 9 - not sure of the distance or time though!  No expectations being placed on him as he is focussed on hockey just now but would like to encourage him to do more with his running.

• Options

Take these 3 points

1. Get him involved in an athletic club

2. Don't push too hard

3. Don't lie about the distances in future. Tch...bragging parents

• Options

hockey is a much more fun activity for a young boy.its a team event and so has it all.if he enjoys running then the running to keep fit for hockey when he gets older would be a bonus...image

• Options

I would make seren's post point 4

• Options

Hockey is a great sport - my daughter & I also play and my son is doing really well (bragging parent alert - I did mention in my original post that it was slightly shorter than a 5k!).  I will encourage him to give an athletic club a go, he does enjoy his school cross country club, would rather he did athletics than football !!!  Don't seem to be any park runs in Scotland though.

• Options

Excuse my facetiousness Harriet. we seem to have had a spate of threads about young kids running 5k in quick times. Usually at the parkrun.  

• Options

Harrietchild if you click on this link http://www.parkrun.org.uk/events/events/ these is a catagory of scotish parkruns 12 in total hopefully one is local for you

• Options

Facetious fact - the shortest word in English with all the vowels in the correct order.

More useful fact - there are lots of parkruns in Scotland but there are also big areas of Scotland where there are no parkruns - see link to map showing parkrun locations.

http://www.parkrun.org.uk/events/events/

As he is only 10 you will be told at the start that he must run with an adult (under 11) so I hope you are quite good at running as well as hockey.image [PS I have no idea if people actually comply with that rule or not]

• Options

at my local parkrun I am constantly getting over taken by children under 11 (im sub 22) and thier parents usually are up 25-27 mins but i think it comes down to the run director the problem is once you are running they cannot stop the child and ask if the person running next to them is thier parent or not and either way if i was running with my child i would tell them not to stop running for anyone as its so easy to put on a hi vis

• Options

Thanks for the info - I have found the runs in Scotland and one not too far from home and another planned for 2014 that is just a few miles along the road!  I can run but won't be able to keep up with my kids!!  I need to get us along to a local run (while there are no Saturday morning football/hockey games!)

• Options

just keep running.........lets hope that there is no dangerous situation ahead if you tell would tell your kids not to listen to marshalls...

• Options

seren nos i can see how you read my comment. i do not mean do not listen to people I mean do not take for granted strangers wearing Hi Vis vests if my children know the marshall and there are other adults/runners my children know then it is fine for them to stop if not keep going until you see someone you know. Basically I mean dont trust a stanger standing in woods wearing a hi vis they could be anyone

• Options

I think its being over cautious........how many child snatchers would go to a place where they will be loads of people.and therefore loads of people to see them and identify them.....on the off chance they could snatch a 10 year old whilst running with no one noticing.........

i think somewhere where there are no adults arounds might be an easier place for them to go about their business

• Options

if chidren can get taken in shopping centers and even a holiday villa I would say a wood is a very secluded place

• Options

not when they are 10 and when supevised they can't...........

of couse a 3 year old can be taken from those places but its extremely rare.....much more likely when out on the streets not near adults.........

very rarely are they taken when adults are present......I can only think of one case and that was done by children not other adults

• Options

infact much more point in telling them never to be alone with uncle bill or uncle tom as the odds are they will be abused by them before they are ever taken by a stranger

• Options

Either way it may well be one of the reasons children aren't meant to run on their own - I doubt if parkrun wants to have to get all its possible volunteers and marshalls CRB checked just because some parents refuse to abide by the rules.

• Options

there are always some people who think rules are not for them though and risk ruining things for all