RW Forum 5 - sub 4.30

Well done Pipski!!

Runner up in this one is Rachelcgen

Comments

• so near... image  Well done Pipski, I'll be keeping a close eye on this and picking up tips too.

• Well done indeed! I shall be 24 minutes behind you, cheering you on!

• Congrats. Will be following with interest looking for inspiration! !

• Congratulations Pipski!  Will be following with interest too.

• Well done Pipski. Looking forward to following you (and to being a sneaky virtual training shadow!)

• So we need to locate Pipski AND Angela then   image

• If we dont hear from either of them by tomorrow can someone drop them a message via the whatsit?

I am not here for most of the day tomorrow image

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Which Angela is it?  Is it Angela I?

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Maybe they want to keep it private...! image

• Angela that was posting on the main thread, she had a Christmas name so I am not too sure  image

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

I've given her a nudge on FB.  I imagine she's drunk somewhere.....  image

• Heya, sorry- family stuff for sisters wedding and crap 3G - will post properly laters- pipski, well done!!  Look forward to mentoring you image. Might be useful for those following the thread if u repost ur pitch here on day 1 and I'll pm you to speak about your schedule.  

• Minni,  you are absolutely right... My last hurrah before sober january, well, except NYE of course... Just Back home from the 2 day extravaganza that was my sister's wedding image. Today was chinese tea ceremony, then hung out with my rellies who are across from the USA....I had a few too many g & ts but must finish off the port before the new year too.... Argh! The quandaries of a tee total January image

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Sounds like fun Angela.  Congratulations on being a mentor.  Will you be giving lots of nutrition advice? I hope so! 

Now, where is your mentee.... 

• Yes Minni, will do, especially as Pipski has identified that as one of her downfalls.. So she might be subject to a little bit of food diary analysis image

• Morning all, whilst we're waiting for Pipski to arrive, it would be nice to learn a bit from the others who are aiming toward the same goal.   I would like to know your race pbs from this year (2013). And anything about past marathon experience if you have any.  

and as a note, I do think a sober January, and beyond is something worth considering if you haven't already.  You will need your rest more than ever during marathon preparation, and alcohol can affect the qualiTy of your sleep...

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Angela - can I ask you a question about nutrition? In fact I might ask you a few but for starters, and connecting to what you mentioned above, how exactly does alcohol affect our running? And also the other main constant in my diet coffee - good, bad, or doesn't matter? 

• Hi Angela,  I'll be following along this thread with interest. I've been running for a year, am 43 and my 10k PB is 56:29 & my HM is 2:14:16 (only my 2nd HM).  VLM is my first ever marathon, so have no idea what to expect!

A dry January is something I have done for the past few years - with a day off for friend's birthday image  Totally agree that it's a good reset for the body. last year I also did a very low carb Jan to kick-start the diet - won't be repeating that this year as I need the energy!

• Hi Rachelcgen, yes, you're right on needing the carbs to help you through your marathon training.  I always look at it like this:  If you are going to make changes in your life, its much easier to do one at a time, than go cold turkey on everything...  Removing alcohol and carbs at the same time as upping the mileage for marathon training will probably leave you with such a massive calorie deficit that you either give up on it, or you get ill trying to keep it up, or your  body goes into starvation mode!  Nice times there.  So excited for you!  Your first marathon is a very exciting experience, and VLM is awesome!  I am doing Greater Manchester Marathon as my 'A' race, but I also got a ballot place in VLM, so will jog around it as my hen party image  getting married in May image

Minni, thanks for the question.  Wow, where do I start, there are so many effects of alcohol.  One I mentioned before is the affect on the quality of your sleep, such that I was still in bed until 20 minutes ago! image

- energy provision with no nutritional value (other than antioxidants in certain drinks like red wine) alcohol is 7kcalories per gram.  If you are trying to maintain a high carb diet, alcohol can really throw your macronutrient (these are protein, carbs, fat) balance out of whack

- toxic- it takes the liver about an hour to clear 1 unit of alcohol, this is why you really should avoid it the night before your long runs.  You want to start a tough training session with your glycogen stores fully stocked, and your body properly hydrated.  Alcohol dehydrates you, which can affect both, as your body actually needs water in order to be able to store carbs (glycogen).

If you are looking at weightloss, I think cutting out alcohol is the most effective thing to do.  You wont end up eating a lot to replace the lost calories, and may even eat less.  the problem with drinking is that it can lead you to make bad choices, such as a dominos pizza, whereas you might have made something healthier if you had had a water for your drink after work, rather than a pint/ or glass of wine.

As I mentioned above, it can adversely affect the quality of your sleep.  This is bad during marathon training, as your sleep is precisely when your body is making the adaptations needed to proceed to the next week of training.  If your sleep is reduced, or poor quality, your body will not have enough time to make these adaptations, which could leave you vulnerable to injury.  As well, when you're run down, you are also more vulnerable to all those bugs flying around, which can mean you have to take time out of your training plan to get better.

Phew, sorry that was such a long post- let me know if you want me to clarify anything...

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Ooh how exciting is this? Well done Pipski first of all! You've got a fantastic mentor there. Just don't get her talking squats or you could be here for daysimage

Best of luck with the training - and well done Angela too, this is going to be great!

• jenfjenf ✭✭✭

oh blimey...do I have to sign the pledge before I can join this thread!!! image

• Lol,, no jenf, its ok, as i understand it, ultra runners don't follow many rules anyway! image

• jenfjenf ✭✭✭

Haha, very true Angela! Thats obviously why I want to be one!

• Running my first marathon in May at Milton Keynes 3 days before my 42nd birthday. Previously run half marathons with PB of 1.50 at Leicester in October. Excited and nervous about the whole affair at the moment. Somehow feels like as huge leap.  

• Hi Angela

Lovely and exciting to be included in the thread!

Been running for 5 years. I'm not competitive, and have never been a racer (used to pray for a broken leg for school sports day), just enjoyed getting my shoes on and going out for a run. Have done a local 10k a few times, PB 55:46, and had two HM attempts but back problems meant both were DNF. Never had any desire to run a marathon. 

Did Kindrochit Quadrathlon in 2011 and got the bug for multi-discipline. Completed Outlaw this year, the 'run' took me 6 1/2 hours but it planted a seed. Had a HUGE falling-out with running after Outlaw, but I now think that was lesson in a) recovery, and b) taking stock and re-evaluating. Went right back to scratch and started to think much more about how I was running. One of the things I started doing was Chrissie W's interval sessions and have noticed a big improvement. No longer stuck at 10min mile, and have realised that barrier was in my head. Also got the back issues properly managed. 

Have entered Loch Ness on 28th Sept as my first (stand-alone) marathon. 

Looking forward to all the great advice.

Sorry this a bit long, just sooooooo excited about my marathon!

• Angela - I love the idea of treating the VLM as a hen party, hope you're allowing yourself a few drinks after that! image

Glad today is a rest day, as my legs are on strike. They really did not even want to walk today, feeling really tired. Hopefully another good night's sleep will help, as tomorrow I have 8m GA (which I do at 11:24 target pace) with 10 x 100m strides. Think I'll use the flat route tomorrow instead of anything with hills!

• Hi Booktrunk, thanks for the luck, though I assume its really for Pipski image

MemsahibR depending on how recently that half was, I would think you would be aiming for very close to 4 hours, if not a bit under, however, its always good to be conservative with your aims for your first marathon.  Manchester will be my 4th marathon and I'm still trying for that illusive sub-4, although with following the threads on here last year, particularly the one mentored by Minni I achieved a 15 minute pb in my spring marathon, and took 10 minutes off my half marathon time, and am still improving.

Nurse R, I tried a triathlon in 2012, and it was then I learnt that I CANNOT swim in open water in the UK! I did the sprint distance at Maldon and was last out of the water, but  I caught up a lot of people on the bike and run legs though.  I want to create my own version of triathlon which involved skiing down a moountain, running to a lake and then rowing across it, but that;s just because those are sports I can do!  Can you tell us a bit more about what the Quadrathlon involves?  I love Chrissie Wellington's book- I actually met her at her book signing- such an amazingly inspirational woman image 

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/420567_10100180402474159_694035584_n.jpg