RW Forum 5 - Sub 5

Comments

• Ok I guess.  It's not as cloying as 100% OJ can be.  There's lots of different gels so worth trying a few to see which, if any, work for you. 

• Blimey Kaz, you'll have to print this off and read it every night the way this lot gas   image

Gels are good but they are quite pricey ... look out for the BOGOFs

• Lol, I'm getting that impression.  Still I'll give them a run for their money image

Wiggle can be a good source for deals on gels and fizzy tabs

• Yes and Sports Pursuit have them a fair bit as well

So Chester is the marathon of choice for this thread then ?  image

• well i've already entered it so it's certainly my marathon of choice!!

glad to see everyone else can talk as much as me - was rather worried i'd be sitting in here wittering to myself image

been wearing my new red running shoes all afternoon, might even run in them tomorrow... image

• SpenceSpence ✭✭✭

As if Daffs!! We like a good gas you should know that image

• i know image kind of wondering how i'm ever gping to fit any running in image

does advocaat count as training??

• I used a running gel once and my stomach was nooooot happy! I was too scared to try again after that! Although it does usually complain after 7.5/8 miles anyway so I'm trying the Imodium technique soon I think..

I'm glad this is a chatty one, I like finding out what other ppl are up to image

My trainers got their first use today. It was in the gym though! Been a long time since had new ones and they felt ok. My Achilles/calf niggled a couple of times but stopped as soon as I slowed to a walk. I guess will just take some getting used to.

I think advocaat counts as cross trainingimage
  • Bam86, does your stomach rebel regardless of what you have to eat/drink, eg sweet or savoury?  I know people who'd not be able to stomach sweet stuff for long periods whereas they can savoury, or a mix of the two.  Hopefully we can find a way round the problem without you having to go down the immodium route.

• Sorry only just seen this, well done Daffs!
  • Kaz - yep unfortunately it doesn't seem to matter what I have. I've tried porridge, marmite toast, fruit smoothie and having nothing before a long run but they all ended the same! I've also tried changing my drinks between lucozade orange, lucozade light and just water but that doesn't seem to make a difference. I wonder if it's partly mental (I am a bit!) as sometimes when I know I have a long run coming up my stomach plays up before I've even got out the door and it can't be anything I've eaten as I'll have it any other time without problems.
  • Congratulations Daffy. Threw me a bit when it was mentioned that you are part of the forum 6 but the thread is forum 5!  

Anyway I am here to follow your progress, cheer you on or whatever you need. I've never seen you so motivated so doesn't look like you will need much in the way of harriberts.

• Sorry FP, I think it was meant to be 6 originally but the categories got changed! Lovely to see you, and Max's mum too image

I've never seen me so motivated either as I have been these past few months - tis quite remarkable! image

Interesting all this nutrition talk - not something I've ever thought much about before (probably because I've never done any real proper training before... image ) I've always been afraid of not eating enough (in general, not just before a run image) but with parkruns I've found I do much better with a small cereal bar than a bowl of weetabix.

Only up to 6 mile long runs so far this time round - manage fine on small cereal bar and a banana. Doing 7 miles this week so I'll see how I get on.

Right - going to get my backside into gear and get out for a couple of miles in my new shoes imageimage Got some nice mud planned to stomp through image

I think I much prefer to go out first thing - once I'm dressed it's quite hard to get undressed again!

• bleurgh.

that's all image

• I'm seriously regretting swapping my training days! Was meant to do 6 miles yesterday and cross training today but my bf and friend wanted to go swimming yesterday so that's what we did. Omg I've not been swimming properly in years and years - managed 500m (150m front crawl, 350k back stroke - it was either switch or stop!) which I was pleased with (not non stop I hasten to add!) and now I look out to see the weather is horrendous!! Throwing it down and blowing a gale! Excellent!

Today is also the start of Janathon. Anybody else doing this? It's a January long thing where u run (or do some form of activity) everyday, log it and blog or tweet/FB about it. There are prizes for most miles etc but mostly it's a fun way to kick start the year as things like hopping round the garden in your dressing gown a couple of times still counts image

Now I should pull myself out of bed (yes, we're lazy - I didn't even drink last night as I was on call) and have some breakfast and then go for a shuffle of 6 miles! I must not lie in bed until it's too late to go as we're having dinner at the outlaws at 4pm...
  • http://www.janathon.com

If anyone's interested - u can join in whenever
  • there's a lesson in there bam - never put off a long run til tomorrow!!

I stayed up drinking sloe gin til nearly 5am so there'll be no running for me image and it's far too wet to take my dressing gown outside!

• I know I know Daffs - it just seemed a good way to compromise at the time. My original though was to run to the pool but then I thought I didn't want to be too tired! Bad move image I will get up now!!

Oh dear! That is the one advantage of having to work I suppose, still got in at 3:30 though! Hmm I wouldn't suggest a wet dressing gown
  • hi everyone

I have been reading through the thread with interest - nice to find someone who runs similar times to me! 

maybe I should drop into the working at it slowly thread too! 

• Happy New Year all.  Here's to 2014 bringing lots of good things! image

I'm doing the Marathon Talk Jantastic thing.  Got talked into it!

Back to the nutrition thing Bam86, I guess it could be a mental thing.  Not sure what to suggest on that one.

• Afternoon

Some of us WAISters are doing the Jantastic thing Kaz (me included - I really need something to get me going again)

Mathschick please do pop over, you will be made most welcome image

• Just been out in the storm! Well kind of storm..

6miles 1:08:08 so an average of 11:21

Can anyone tell me what I should be doing different between my lsr and my easy run? I currently run both around 11mm - except for today due to the wind trying to blow me back home!
  • SpenceSpence ✭✭✭

Happy new year!

I parkrunned this morning, it was rather horrendous! Wet, windy, cold!! Took the dog which I don't normally do but didnt have time to walk her after.....had to stop to scoop the poopimage so that buggered my time!! still felt great after!

• Bam86, I used to aim for my LSRs to be around 60 secs slower than my marathon pace and an easy run would be a short run (3 or 4 miles) but that would be just a bit slower than marathon pace.

• Hi guys, happy new year! 

I just signed up for Janathon too - didn't ski much today as had a lot of work to do ready for when I get home but I'm very achy so instead did core workout. Am slightly worried about coming back and running as I wouldn't have run for 9 days which is quite a considerable time for me. 

That is one of my main issues within training - pacing and knowing what pace to do for my long and easy runs

What are everyones aims in 2014?? I'm excited I can finally say that I am running my first marathon this year!!! image

• Morning all, feel a bit more like I'm in the land of the living again today!

Welcome Mathschick, and I see you've found your way to the WAISter thread already, well done image

Yep, I'm joining the WAISters for Jantastic (although I haven't actually signed up yet, thanks for the reminder...) I was always tempted by Janathon though, so both of you do let us know how you get on!

Spence, I usually stop to take photos - far more pleasant! image

Hooray for a first marathon Emma!

Well done on your 6 miles in a gale Bam, very impressive! Good question about the difference between long and easy runs though - and similar to something I was going to ask...

• Since October (when I started running properly) I've been using my HRM. I love it! Worked out max over a couple of all-out (for me...) parkruns - 188bpm (bizarrely exactly the same as the formula in the book).

For long runs and midweek run (2-3 miles at the min - should this be more?) I stick to 60-75% of max (not worked out percentage of *working* HR, just set the machine to beep if I'm not in 60-75% of max). Really helps - I don't feel like I should constantly go faster, and am finding it easier to go further, and I've enjoyed every single long run so far.

I'm very slow though - although it's pretty hilly round here and with no fancy pants technology I can't tell how fast I'm doing each bit. I usually stop to take a couple of photos too... imageimage

I *can* go faster (just) - parkruns have reduced from 11.08mm in October to 9.46mm just before Christmas image That's hard work though and I couldn't do it for longer, or more than once a week.

I *am* getting faster over distances too, so since October, my 4 mile route (which I've done quite a few times) has gone from 14.27 to 12.42. The longer I go, the slower I get though - last week's 6 miles was at 14.02mm.

I suppose my question (finally image) is does pace matter too much at this stage? My inclination is to keep things comfortable and build slowly, just doing the parkrun faster, and assuming I'll get generally faster as I get fitter anyway. Should I be aiming for long runs just under marathon pace? (Not worked out what that should be yet... image)

On that note, I'm off out to do 7 miles, which is the furthest I've done in one go since the last marathon in October 2012 image Resisting the urge to do it in my new shoes, especially since it's all on the road and they're trail shoes!

Have eaten a rocky road cereal bar and a rhubarb crumble yogurt and a nice cup of tea to fuel me up image

(You might be getting an idea about why this isn't the Sub 3 thread... image)

• morning

I've done Janathon a couple of times in past years, but it does commit you to running every day (or something similar) then the log and blog bit can get a bit tedious toward the end. Also, as there is a 'get out clause' in that you can do an alternative to running there is the temptation to log the walk to the bus stop as the day's activity!

Jantastic is in my mind more doable for me. I've just committed to 3 runs a week, but can do more if I wish. I can do those runs on any day that suits me and go as far as I want as long as it is at least a mile. I also like the idea of team support. C'mon now Daffs get on with it!

• I suppose all that waffle leads to the other question, which I've been asking myself for weeks now - would I be better off with a garmin thing that could tell me how fast I did each individual mile? That 14mm 6 mile run last week was more likely to be 12mm (or even less) for the first 5 miles then considerably more for the near-vertical last mile...