Triathlon Bike Wheel Diameter? Some advice please

Hi I've signed up for the London Sprint Triathlon in August and am looking to race on a folding bike with 24" wheels. I checked to see if there were any wheel size restrictions on the BTF site and the rulebook states the following rules but am confused as rule i) states yes and rule ii) states no. Your advice would be much appreciated as I seem to be missing something.

Normal 0 false false false EN-GB X-NONE X-NONE /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";}

Normal 0 false false false EN-GB X-NONE X-NONE /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";}

Wheels

For draft legal competitions wheels must have the following characteristics:

i) a diameter between 55cm (22”) minimum and 70cm (28”) maximum, including the tyre.

ii) both wheels should be either 65cm (26”) or 70cm (28”).

Wheels : Fo r draft - lega l competitions , wheels mus t hav e th e followin g c h a r a c t e r i s t i c s : i) a diameter between 55cm (22”) minimum and 70cm (28”) maximum, including the tyre. ii) both wheels shou

Comments

• Don't know what happened there. I'll re-post the same question

Hi I've signed up for the London Sprint Triathlon in August and am looking to race on a folding bike with 24" wheels. I checked to see if there were any wheel size restrictions on the BTF site and the rulebook states the following rules but am confused as rule i) states yes and rule ii) states no. Your advice would be much appreciated as I seem to be missing something.

Wheels

For draft legal competitions wheels must have the following characteristics:

i) a diameter between 55cm (22”) minimum and 70cm (28”) maximum, including the tyre.

ii) both wheels should be either 65cm (26”) or 70cm (28”).

• Dave, I don't even know what a draft legal race is? Aaaargh, now that's two questions I need answers to. image

• It won't be draft legal - there are very few draft legal races and they're basically for the pros.  

• They'll let you race on a mountain bike. I'm pretty sure yours would be allowed but I'm sure FB or someone who knows for sure will be along soon.
  • Best bet would be to contact the organisers and ask them to give you a yes or no. Then make sure you take a printout of their response along to the race incase someone there says no

• the rule on bikes for non-drafting races is as follows:

"11.1 Bicycles must be well maintained, roadworthy and have the following characteristics:

a. be no more than 2m long and 75cm wide.

b. measure at least 24cm from the ground to the centre of the chain wheel axle, exceptions may be made for children’s bicycles.

c. a vertical line touching the front-most point of the saddle will be no more than 5cm in front of and no more than 15cm behind a vertical line passing through the centre of the chain wheel axle; a competitor must not have the capability to adjust the saddle beyond these limits during competition.

d. measure no less than 54cm and no more than 65cm between a vertical line passing through the centre of the chain wheel axle and a vertical line through the centre of the front wheel axle; exceptions may be made for the bicycles of children.

e. windbreaks, other bodywork or other substantial means of reducing wind resistance on machines are prohibited.

f. the front wheel may be a different diameter than the rear wheel but must be of spoke construction; wheel covers or disc wheels are allowed on the rear wheel only for non- drafting events.

g. no wheel may contain mechanisms that are capable of accelerating it.

h. there must be a brake on each wheel, and both wheels must be classified as free wheels.

i. handlebars and tri-bars must be plugged.

j. add-ons, such as computer or lighting brackets and mounting points, must be positioned so as to prevent injury in the event of a crash or collision with other competitors or spectators. NB This also applies to mountain bike handlebar extensions."

provided your folder complies with these rules then you're good to go.  the key ones to check will be items b &d,  as folders can have some odd setups, although I have seen folding bikes used in tri so I guess most comply (or don't get checked!)

draft legal races as said are really for the ITU elite races, where you ride in a pack. for age group triathlon, they are non-drafting so you need to maintain a 7m gap between you and the bike in front.  the BTF rules explain all.

• At the London tri I have seen Bromptons, BMX's, Fixies, Grifters, choppers and even Boris bikes used

• ...and they all beat Flat Footed...

• Which will be nothing compared to the beating you will get