rules on bone conduction headphones

Comments

• I just PM'ed you image

Instead of stopping doing solo/training runs without music, how about entering a few shorter races which are known for their excellent atmosphere and crowds, and not take music.  I did this for the Bath and Reading half marathons, and the Bupa London 10k, and found I didn't need the music as the crowds take you round.  It will help you get used to it but in a fun way!

You might find you can do much better without music on race day than on a solo training run since there will be loads more to distract you.

• are people incapable of actually entertaining themselves nowadays....have they no imagination.........image

• seren nos wrote (see)

are people incapable of actually entertaining themselves nowadays....have they no imagination.........image

I am more than capable of entertaining myself..... Just not at the same time as running image

• Oh dear, poor Joanne for walking in with this one. I'm sure she will realise it is not personal.

The wording isn't 100% clear to me, but the intention of the wording is.

I'm sure a medical certificate could be acquired for the disability in questionimage

• I digress, but why walk when your batteries go flat? It must take absolutely ages to toddle on home when you could run (and discover the joys of running without music), or just put a couple of spare batteries in a jacket pocket. 

• I did see three students going for a run one day. Each carrying their own CD player.

(ok it was a few years back)

Whats the point in that ?!?
  • I have been thinking and I have come up with the following . i will fashion my hair into fetching Princess Leia style buns to hide my headphones. I will also never mention the subject of music and running on a forum as provokes the type of reaction I would expect if I had suggested skinning a live rabbit for running distraction! Someone even used the t*at word...really!

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    But skinning a live rabbit isn't against the rules.
  • MinniMinni ✭✭✭

I thought my answer was quite positive... image

• skottyskotty ✭✭✭

i don't know why people repeatedly ask the same question about rules anyway when they are clearly going to ignore them because they don't like it. 

• marrowsmarrows ✭✭✭

I've run Edinburgh Marathon with an ipod and no-one bothered me about it.  I remember hearing 'mission ground controoool to major tom' just as I ran out of leg-beans around mile 18. I do not run with music any more.

• Slight digression - Aldi are selling mp3 players for a tenner at the moment.

• I quite like Wilko's ballsy responses to the universal condemnation of her OP. Pity she has no balls whatsoever when her AAAs run out image

• I'm glad the buns were described as fetching...
  • My response was also positive, well the first one was, the second one was just fact...........screw it, im out of this thread

• Ha ha - this thread is great in that it brings out the best and worst in people. If some can't understand why there wording is a 'little off' then that's up to them.

I like music when I run however am aware I'm 'cut off' when wearing headphones so slip them off when running down narrow paths so I can hear cyclists (or even faster runners) who want to overtake. If I can run to the side then that's fine IMO and I'll keep them on.

As for the bone conductive ones. Your ears are still free so you can still here what is going on. If I had a pair I'd wear them all the time. Well, I assume I would but haven't tried them out so can't be sure.
  • "bone conductive"  -  Can you attach them to your shin?

ps...  Joanne..  Is this the first time you've used an internet forum?  Or come across banter?

• XX1XX1 ✭✭✭
    The Grinch wrote (see)

I quite like Wilko's ballsy responses to the universal condemnation of her OP. Pity she has no balls whatsoever when her AAAs run out image

It wouldn't surprise me if you do really have balls...  But perhaps the OP isn't a geezer bird image

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    If you go on any sports forum and ask questions regarding braking or "bending" the rules then you have to accept that people will disagree with you.
  • I ran Edinburgh last year with headphones and there were plenty of people who did the same. If you want to use headphones you should. No one is going to bother you on the day as there will be hundreds of people doing the same thing. I suspect that those giving you grief on here would be very unlikely to be so forthright in person.   

• A rather transparent one that, runninggeek.

have another go.

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    So you are saying its ok to break the rules because everyone else is doing it? And because people might not say anything on the day?

What about respecting the decisions of the race director?
  • Would i go up to someone in a race and say hey you shouldn't be wearing those headphones? Probably not. Would I tell them they shouldn't if they asked me if it was against the rules? Yes i would tell them it was against the rules. Pretty much the same on here then isn't it? 

• "If you want to ignore the rules, you should"

I don't think you need me to tell you what I meant by transparent!

• So in summary.

1:   If the rules state no headphones, then if you wear headphones your breaking the rules.

2:  It's fun when someone says i know i'm breaking the rules but i'm a genius so it's ok for me, as i've not got headphones oh no... except well umm i call them headphones.

3:  Has the Team GB thread gone downhill or something? Otherwise why pick on this very special girl, as in all fairness you know rules don't apply to her, just everyone else.

• If the race director is concerned with people wearing headphones because it's a genuine safety concern, the consequence of wearing them would be disqualification/confiscation. I don't think this has ever happened. So in this instance, I think it is OK to break the rule. It's not a proper rule unless it's enforced. If they start enforcing it, fair enough but I suspect they won't do that because they want as many runners as possible and many runners prefer to run with music. It's probably a tick box for insurance purposes.

Grinch, you make a fair point but I'm not sure someone asking a question in person would illicit some of the reponses given here.  

• Nose, I'm not sure we're on the same page so far as transparency is concerned. Perhaps if you elaborate? Use your words, you can do it.

• skottyskotty ✭✭✭
    runninggeek81 wrote (see)

many runners prefer to run with music.  

it seems many runners cannot physically run without music.

• Didn't some runners get disqualified from the York marathon?

Leics say no headphones, and for around 1 km your running on the hard shoulder of a dual carrige way that's coned off.  You also cross various roads where you have marshalls holding up traffic. Seems a sensible rule to me.