Long run

Comments

• imageThere is someone who maned the f**k upimage That is your ticket to ride all sorted now OG - great run. Nuts, but great run.

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Sometimes getting out there and surviving a long run in awful conditions can give you loads of confidence for race day. In an "if I can cope with that then race day will be easy" kind of way.
  • I guess that is why I do it every year.

It was one of my slowest, but will try and not beat myself up too much about that bearing in mind the conditions. My only goal this year is to keep my GFA place (sub3:20) so that I can do it again in my 60th year so looking okay for that as I usually end up being 15 to 20 minutes faster on race day.

• I ran a marathon last year and due to health issues could not follow my schedule exactly.

I had to reduce to 3 runs a week and made sure that I did most of the long runs especially the 20 miler.

Provided you do most of the plan and are consistent per other posts - you will be fine in terms of getting round and enjoying it.

Best of luck.

• if youve not done the long/8 miler this week - then what is the jump next week ? 6 to 10 or something ?

If it were me - I'd be doing the long run as part of my week. The long run really is the key. You need to be well used to running 20 miles by the end of it.

The more you can do before the day - then the easier the race will be. Trust me - theres a hell of a lot of people having a bloody awful day from about mile 13 on. Don't be one of those.
  • PipskiPipski ✭✭✭

I would say the best thing about running is the rain, is that you appreciate the days when it's dry!  Yesterday I was drenched for 13 miles, absolutely soaked through, cold and was looking forward to getting home.....I don't think anyone really likes being wet and cold, however when it's not, you appreciate it, so much more.  I agree with everyone else, 8 miles is not very far at all and I also don't understand why you split up your 8 miles on a cross trainer.  You will find that once you increase your mileage, only running really counts.    I think if it's really stormy and too dangerous to run outside, then yes, jump on a treadmill, but just rain?   We need to count ourselves lucky it hasn't been snowing!  Good luck with your training...no one said marathon training was easyimage

• There is no need for a beginner marathon runner to run further than 15 miles in a long run: 2 to 3 times in marathon training.

Intermediate runners may run up to 18 miles maximum in a long run: 2 or 3 times leading up to their marathon.

Experienced runners will run long runs between 20 to 22 miles in their long runs: 3 or 4 times.

Elite runners may run long runs further than marathon distance say long runs between 23 to 28 miles: 4 or 5 times leading up to their marathon.

The higher volume of running per week and the level of experience running will vary from runner to runner.

8 miles roughly equivalent to 13km, less than one third of the 26.2 miles/42.2km marathon distance. If you are struggling with 8 miles, 10, 12 and 15 miles training long runs will be a total night mare. Maybe a 10k or a HM race is more suitable for a beginner runner.

• I'd hate to have to go from 15 miles to 26.

I don't think that's a decent plan at all.

Is there such a thing as a beginner marathon runner ? You need decent miles behind you to make a proper attempt at the distance. If by running past 15 mikes wipes out the next weeks training then you aren't ready for a marathon.
  • I completely agree with you Cougie.

I personally advocate a long, slow build-up starting in October/November for a spring marathon and including drop-back weeks to help your body recover.

• I completed 3 marathons in 4 months in 2013 between 3 hours 9 and 3 hours and  19 minutes from following my own plan that included runs up to 15 miles, only 2 or 3 runs per week with a mileage total of 25 to 30 miles per week.

It could be said my lack of longer runs up to 20 miles may have lead to me not running to my full potential and contributed towards 10 to 15 minute fade outs in my three marathons in 2013.

This year I will follow my own intermediate plan and run 3 to 4 days per week and run a few runs up to 18 miles and aim for 40 miles per week. I will run two marathons in 2014: 3 months apart during a 6 month training plan.

• Impressive times from few miles !

I can see from my 10 years plus of doing marathons that for me at least - there is a correlation between long runs and my times. I fade away if I've not done enough.

If you did a more conventional plan - you might be smashing three hours ?
  • I'd hate to have to go from 15 miles to 26.

I don't think that's a decent plan at all.

Is there such a thing as a beginner marathon runner ? You need decent miles behind you to make a proper attempt at the distance. If by running past 15 mikes wipes out the next weeks training then you aren't ready for a marathon.
  • Wow! So many posters on this thread really need to go into their keyboard settings and switch off the 'Sanctimonious' setting!! image
    Then go back and actually read the OP's posts and try again.

To the OP, in my opinion, any cardio exercise you do in the gym has got to be more beneficial than doing nowt so good for you. If you've already made the judgement call that running on the road would be too risky then I'd suggest trying to do as much in the gym in terms of time/distance/pace that you would've been aiming for on your run.

And don't let the judgmental posters on here get to you. image

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Yes- Dont let the majority of the experienced running population change your mind if the answer is not what you were afterimage 

• Hmm, I don't think that was what I wrote, and I should know coz I was there when I wrote it. The OP didn't ask for advice that would change their mind, they were asking for advice about appropriate gym exercise.

Case in point though, so thanks image

I think its the type of 'answer' that wasn't what they were after, you know, the one word answers, the answers that miss the point, the answers that come from not reading posts fully, the condescending answers, etc.

From reading the OP's posts I got that they'd made a judgement call not to run outside and to go and do something in the gym instead. I don't remember them asking for permission to go to the gym instead and yet many posters decided that it was their place to criticise the decision made.

That doesn't provide an actual answer to the question asked.

I'd question why the 'majority of the experienced running population' bother filling the thread with such posts instead of attempting to help the OP by actually answering their question.

• Bill: At the heart of it the op said replace my long weekend run of only 3 runs with some of that on a treadmill. Not ALL of that run just some of it.

I have done 3 marathons running mainly 3 days a week. I know that you really, really need to get the long runs in when you are only running three days a week and trying to run a marathon at the end of it.

A lot of the comments were along the lines of it's better outside but yes that's fine as long as you replace all of it with the treadmill why go to the gym and only do part of it on the treadmill.....

If you have access to a gym, and are worried about missing your run I still don't understand why you would only do some of it on a treadmill, and some of it on something else... If you want to use other equipment fine, but you still should do all of the Long Run. Who cares if it's 'boring' doing it on a treadmill.

• She asked " Can I replace this run with a mix of treadmill, cross trainer, bike etc at gym?"

My one word answer was perfectly accurate.

I think the OP has got the idea now.
  • half you long run then something else on a stair machine or a bike, or whatever is not replacing the long run and just doesn't make sense to me?

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Ok, i get some answers did not get to the point. I think i suggested at the outset doing the run on the treadmill.If your training for a marathon then specificity of training is vital. If it were say a 10k being trained for, or that the the individual wanted reasurance that swapping a midweek recovery run was ok then that is very different.

I think the general view was that people were taking a slightly wider approach to the direct question and advising a beginner runner who is running a marathon in circa 12 weeks and whose long run is at 8 weeks that they really ought to get that run in by whatever means necessary.

Training for a marathon off very little base is no easy business and to attempt it under prepared is a physical risk. Therefore taking the liberal soft approach, (imo) is doing the op no favours longer term.

• Bill, I might say you had a point from the first post alone as it wasn't made clear how long the OP intended to spend on the treadmill.

However, the main advice was to just to swap the pavement for the treadmill and run the full distance on it.

Subsequent posts suggest that isn't actually what she did. So I think it's fair enough for people to question to why she asked for the advice in the first place rather than just doing what she felt like doing.

• +1 DT19 and Cougie said it a lot better than I did.

• cougie wrote (see)
    She asked " Can I replace this run with a mix of treadmill, cross trainer, bike etc at gym?"

My one word answer was perfectly accurate.

cougie, you actually believe that don't you? I do feel sorry for anyone else you reply to with such comprehensive wisdom!!

I think you'll find that it is indeed possible to substitute a run with gym based cardio therefore your one word answer was neither perfectly accurate nor helpful so why did you even bother?

My (continuing) issue is with the posters that make judgements and are quite happy to deliver those judgements and answer a wider question that was never asked, whilst avoiding answering the OP's actual question.

Running a marathon is a big commitment and requires enthusiasm and discipline. Going to a gym to continue training when you've decided that outdoor conditions are not conducive to training shows that commitment, enthusiasm and discipline. Why attempt to devalue the effort that someone is attempting to put into training simply because its not 'hard core' enough?

The main advice may well have been to swap the pavement for the treadmill but that advice was often tagged with a 'man-up' or 'stop being a wuss'. What about respecting someones decision based on the evidence that only they have and focusing on supporting them and helping them to achieve their goals without all the additional negativity?*steps off soapbox and slides it under bed (for now)*

• Hmm - lets check my useful posts on RW versus yours....

Do you seriously believe that a mixture of run, cross trainer and bike is a decent substitute for a long run ?

The best training for running is to run. If she had broken something - then yes keeping active is better than nothing.

She hadn't and she had access to a treadmill. She's training for a marathon - not an event that asks you to do 20 mins of work on three different pieces of kit.

I've seen the pain on peoples faces at the back of the marathon - the TV does a good job of showing people enjoying themselves in the pack - very rarely do they show the people who have done crap training and are bringing up the rear and suffering before the half way point.

The marathon scares me and I've done lots of them.

The time for mollycoddling is not now. Tough Love is whats called for - and I think she's on board with that.
  • Bill - I suggest you may be over thinking this.

The OP asked a simple question and got simple answers back.

Perhaps some of the suggestions about running outdoors weren't phrased very politely but they also made a fair point. This is the U.K. It gets wet, it gets cold, it gets windy. You can't afford to wait for good weather if you are training  for a specific event, you have to work with what you've got unless the conditions are actually dangerous.

• PipskiPipski ✭✭✭

I can see both sides here....Bill, you have an excellent point and I now feel rather bad about not being more supportive to Lorna.  I too, opted to do my 6 miles on a treadmill back in December when the storm hit London pretty bad and it was just not safe to be outside.  You are right, it does show focus and consistency on the training front, as it would be easier just to say, I'll skip this one.   However I also agree with Cougie, if you are able enough to run, then you should be running the entire distance in the gym, unless you are otherwise injured.   However sometimes on this forum, people just say it how it is without dressing it up, but that's what I enjoy about RW...straight to the point...great debate though   image

• pipski.

you did the miles on a treadmill.not farting around on other machines.....

no it will not help her one bit for her marathon training.....but its what she chose to do......

you do not ask questions on a public forum and then complain that everyone hasn't answered how you want them to.

she has a right to ignore all the advice and do what she wants.....which she does......but complaining that people were not being friendly because they didn't agree doesn't work for me...

the marathon will be very painful....and every mile in training done sensibly and when not injured will help reduce that pain...

• cougie wrote (see)
    Hmm - lets check my useful posts on RW versus yours....

Ouch! Let me just lick my wounds. *tries to find wound...*

You also thought that 'No' was useful so forgive me if I disagree with your evaluation of your post quality. Quantity? You've probably got me there image

I would expect that a forum such as this would be a platform to provide support, encouragement and 'useful' advice, which doesn't have to be 'mollycoddling'.

cougie, if you (and the others, you all know who you are) were in the same room as the OP when the question was asked do you think that your responses would have been delivered in the same way? I would like to think not but I expect I may be at least partially disappointed.

Basically, if you don't have anything constructive to contribute or just can't find a constructive way to put your point of view or don't have time to read it back to yourself before hitting the 'submit' button then why post? It only clogs up the thread with posts that lack any real value.

This is day 1 for me on this forum. From what I've seen from this thread, I'm just glad I don't need to rely on its contributors for encouragement and support, otherwise I'd probably end up a negged out couch spud and would ultimately need removing from my house using a forklift!!

I'm just sayin'...image

• there are times when people need support..

the opening post did not ask for support....she asked for opinions....I'm sure she will remember it on those long long last few miles of the marathon....

or do you plan to run next to her the whole way telling her that its brilliant and that she is going to finish without any pain or problems etc

• I think that if someone had walked up to me and asked the OP's question, I would have just said 'nope'.

Then they would have got a short lecture on specificity of training and advice on waterproof jackets and running caps and then how to spice up treadmill running.  

I met a girl once who swore blind that it was perfectly fine to train for a marathon using one long run and several spin classes per week.  I was a beginner at the time but still pretty sceptical and so after hearing her pass on this advice to quite a few folks I asked how she had got on in her race.  'Oh terrible' she replied.. 'My IT band went at 15 miles and I had to pull out, but if I hadn't had to stop I was on for a PB'

right then.

• Bill, Cougie is one of the most helpful posters on this forum.  His advice is usually brief and to the point.

Maybe that style doesn't suit you and that's fine, but to accuse him of cluttering up threads with posts that lack real value is preposterous. It's the complete opposite of clutter.